Beware of ATM scam opposite the Hilton

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Beware of ATM scam opposite the Hilton

Post by Gus »

I just thought I would warn you about an ATM that I have had cards cloned from.
It is opposite the Hilton next to the lady who sells Mango and Sticky Rice, probably Bangkok Bank if my memory is good.

In the past I have to admit that I did not cover the pad with my hand when inputting the 4 digit code. The first time I had problems was February 2012, then in November I forgot about my earlier problems and another card was cloned, I have had money attempted to be taken out of my accounts from Vietnam and the Philippines.
So cover the pad when putting numbers in, it didn't cost me any dosh, just time to sort it all out.
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: Beware of ATM scam opposite the Hilton

Post by PET »

Gus wrote:I just thought I would warn you about an ATM that I have had cards cloned from.
It is opposite the Hilton next to the lady who sells Mango and Sticky Rice, probably Bangkok Bank if my memory is good.

In the past I have to admit that I did not cover the pad with my hand when inputting the 4 digit code. The first time I had problems was February 2012, then in November I forgot about my earlier problems and another card was cloned, I have had money attempted to be taken out of my accounts from Vietnam and the Philippines.
So cover the pad when putting numbers in, it didn't cost me any dosh, just time to sort it all out.

I presume you have reported this to the bank concerned, so that they can take action?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Usually cloning a card requires a skimming device attached to an ATM and someone watching for the entered number.

There are many cases reported worldwide

In 2009, two Romanian tourists were arrested in Hua Hin using fake ATM cards to withdraw cash. A search of their hotel room found 140 fake cards.

How skimming works

The devices planted on ATMs are usually undetectable by users—the makers of this equipment have become very adept at creating them, often from plastic or plaster, so that they blend right into the ATM’s façade. The specific device used is often a realistic-looking card reader placed over the factory-installed card reader. Customers insert their ATM card into the phony reader, and their account info is swiped and stored on a small attached laptop or cell phone or sent wirelessly to the criminals waiting nearby.

In addition, skimming typically involves the use of a hidden camera, installed on or near an ATM, to record customers’ entry of their PINs into the ATM’s keypad. It has also been known for criminals to attach a phony keypad on top of the real keypad ... which records every keystroke as customers punch in their PINs.

Skimming devices are usually installed for short periods of time—usually just a few hours—so they’re often attached to an ATM by nothing more than double-sided tape. They are then removed by the criminals, who download the stolen account information and encode it onto blank cards. The cards are used to make withdrawals from victims’ accounts at other ATMs.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Lee1975
Professional
Professional

Post by Lee1975 »

After my trip in Hua Hin back in June, about 3 days after my return to the UK I had a call from my Bank Fraud team to ask if I was in the Philippines. Someone was using my card there but obviously wasn't me so had to go through the ball ache of cancelling and waiting for a new one.
I regularly use that ATM opposite the Hilton, but didn't think to much of it until i read this topic. Gotta be something in it.
Now I used this ATM again all the last month but nothing yet of any fraud on my card.
The only things I regret are the things I didn't do
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

since I always have some cash on me I rarely never use the ATM outside but use the ATM inside the bank so in that way I think its more safe.

:cheers: :cheers:
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

Thanks for the info Gus.

These ATM skimming devices (Lebanese Loops) are everywhere in Central London targeting naive tourists, controlled by Eastern Europeans. Either photograph your pin or retain your card.

Remember if your card gets retained by the machine stay their and ring the bank. If its scam the suspects will be close waiting for you to walk off. You may be able to pull off the part where your card goes into. This false part will be glued on top of the original insertion part retaining cards.

Before using any machine I always run my hand along the top of the machine. These devices normally come off easy enough!
I must confess I never check the machines in HH. School Boy error I think.

Distraction Thefts such as spilling drinks over people and dropping money on the ground are also common. Normally man and girl team working together targeting single women or vulnerable victims.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Gus wrote:I just thought I would warn you about an ATM that I have had cards cloned from.

Out of interest, how do you know it was this machine that skimmed your card??
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Gus wrote: Out of interest, how do you know it was this machine that skimmed your card??
Same question from me....?? Were you only using one ATM machine in Hua Hin?

This happened to me last month. Fortunately I was heading back to the U.K. so no problem cancelling my card. In different circumstances it would be a real pain in the rear. When I talked to the fraud team at my bank; they say it could have happened any time in the past six months (the cloning). My card was used in Vietnam but it has been a year since I was last there (coincidence?).
Since I've been in several different countries over the past six months, I have no idea where this may have happened.

Need to take more care when entering my pin I suppose......

Hang the thieving b*ggers though.... :cuss:

GN.
Scotian2012
Professional
Professional

Post by Scotian2012 »

Which Bank is it you are referring to?
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I got cloned in Bangkok last year - I know the exact machine that did it, because I only used the card once on that trip.

I'm no expert, but I suspect the machine had been internally tampered with, as I'm always very careful when using ATMs

All sorted and refunded with minimal hassle - Barclays fraud team were excellent.

Three years ago I noted the trouble it caused one guy when the ATM in Bintabaht ate his card. Since then I've kept two current accounts funded with separate debit cards.

The risk of cloning is anther good reason to keep two accounts.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
sezanu
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sezanu »

Same happen to us i November 2012.
ATM Machine in Hilton Street, money whas spent in Vietnam and Cambodia.
For us it was the yellow bank, it was the place we used the ATM card.

Said before, Trustno1, use ATM inside bank always.
Sports Fan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sports Fan »

Does any of you have any idea how long it took before money of you was spend in vietnam etc? I withdrawn money last week at hilton.... I now that they not always have to take your card to scam. So i am just currious how long it took even tough I am have an insurance against it.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

sportsfan
If you are worried about money coming out of your account from Vietnam, and you have not been to Vietnam, it is better to telephone your bank and tell them what dates you will be in Thailand etc.

About 12 months ago Santander bank in the UK telephoned me 5 times (missed calls) when I was in Hua Hin, I phoned them back and I was told about money withdrawal attempts on my card from Vietnam, this card was only used at the ATM next to the Mango/Sticky Rice lady, nobody was hovering behind me.
In November 2012 I used a Nationwide card at the same ATM (I was dumb and forgot last years episode), fortunately I happened to check my account the next day on my laptop and noticed money withdrawals from the Philppines, so I phoned the bank and stopped the card, again nobody was behind me.

I admit that I have been rather blase about ATM fraud thinking it wouldn't happen to me, so I recommend that you cover the numbers pad when entering your pin.
Both banks were excellent in re-funding my account.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

B10m ATM card fraud gang arrested

Bangkok Post

Wed, April 03, 2013 02:09 PM
A gang of foreigners, four Malaysians and two Sri Lankans, have been arrested and charged with the fraudulent use of over 100 ATM cards to withdraw around 10 million baht cash in Thailand, the Economic and Cyber Crime Division announced on Wednesday.

Division chief Pol Maj Gen Phisit Pao-in said the police were informed by Siam Commercial Bank that the bank has been requested to investigate theftof users' information and fraudulent use of electronic cards to withdraw cash in Thailand.

The investigators found out that the cards were used in the Pratunam area. Police sent topatrol the area discovered S.Saseelan, 43, withdrawing cash at an ATM. They asked to search hm and found 10 fake ATM cards. The police searched his accommodation and later apprehend the five other suspects.

The other gang members are: Suthsrsan Nadarajah, 34, from Sri Lanka, and four Malaysians,Dasikumar Anthonisamy, 32, Eswarn Kumarn, 20, Jothi Shanhar S Thiagu, 19 and Pravin M.Dorasamy, 19.

The police said they seized a total of 162 electronic cards and 18,000 baht cash.

Pol Maj Gen Phisit saidthe suspects confessed that they obtained blank electronic cards in Malaysia. The blanks were then encoded with information, obtained by usingskimmers, off cards of people from countries such as Canada, the UK and Germany.

They would go separately towithdraw up to 60,000 baht each time from ATMs in Pratunam and Sukhumvit areas, and later hand the money over to an Indian they knewonly as Asok. They were paid 10% of the money.

The suspects said they had been withdrawing the money for over a month, with the total-combined value approximately 10 million baht.

Police said the two Sri Lankan suspectsare former members of theLiberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam who fled to Thailand. They were investigating whether terrorism funding is involved or not.

The six suspects have been charged with illegal access to a computer system, holding and using fake electronic cards and illegal entry to Thailand. Mr Asok is still at large.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain