Water supplies to residential areas

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Water supplies to residential areas

Post by Jaime »

My house is on one of the developments up Soi 102 and every night between about 6pm and 8pm the city authorities turn off the water supply, leaving just the storage tank to use in the evening. The water comes back on in the early morning. Does this happen everywhere outside the central Hua Hin area and is it a seasonal thing or what? Presumably the big resort hotels are unaffected by this?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm no expert on this, but would reckon the situation is mainly seasonal. As a province, Prachuap is one of the driest in Thailand. It's definitely designated a drought area by the government.
If you havn't got one already, a water pump might help. I understand that without one, the water pressure is regularly below that needed to refill your tank.
The situation is getting better, though. A number of years ago, central HH could go without water for a week - unless you had a pump. Doubt the hotels are affected.
Watch out for Sonkran in a couple of days. The waste of water is criminal, allbeit good fun.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I've got the pump but the way it works is that it is mains pressure, rather than the pump, that fills the tank. It works like a WC cistern with a ball valve so that as you use the water from the tank (during the daytime) the tank is continually refilling, keeping pressure from the head of water in the tank at a constant level. After they turn off the water in the evening, the tank does not refill, which means that as you use the water, the head of pressure drops. That is when you need the pump, which pumps the ever decreasing tank water to your taps under greater pressure. My house has a 1000 litre tank, which I think is the standard (minimum) but in the future I think I'll change it to a bigger one with a more powerful pump as 1000 litres is soon gone if you water the garden after the supply is turned off (best time after the sun has gone down). Now I'll probably get some posts telling me what an eco-vandal I am for watering the grass during a drought!
Majestic Creek

Re: Water supplies to residential areas

Post by Majestic Creek »

I live onSoi 56, a development called Pavilion. We had 'government' water supply to the site, completed anout six months ago and all has been good. Until last week, when the supply stopped suddenly.

Despite numerous calls to the PWA office, and constantly being told the supply will be 'back on ' soon, we have had no water for two weeks.

Is this just isolated to this area, or has anyboby else in Hua Hin had the same experience.

The water trucks are running in and out all day, with residents buying water from the private sellers, so this must be all over this area, not just to my soi alone.

What is happening, has anybody any idea?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've never had a problem. However, I have a 25,000 ltr underground tank and mains water needs to be cut off for quite some time before that runs out. Water was off for 5 days once and we never noticed. I also have 2 underground tanks at the front of the land (the low end) and this collects rainwater from 'drains' at either side of the land and this is used for watering the garden.
Majestic Creek

Post by Majestic Creek »

Again we rang the PWA local office today, and my wife who is normally a very polite and curteous girl, got very irritated with the same Thai lady telling her the supply will be fixed 'soon' and told her to stop lying and tell her the truth. Why no water for over two weeks. Her response was, ' if you can do better, go and fix it yourself!' And that is Thai to Thai ! Can you imagine what she tells a farang? Probably something like ' if you don't like it, leave Thailand'.

Thai service.......don't you just love it!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We live just off 94, and our mains supply has been very erratic for a few weeks. OK, like HHTel our internal water comes from the tank, but water in the car port for example is direct from the mains.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

A few years ago our supply was pretty bad. Weak pressure for about four hours in the middle of the night only. I modified the pipes after the meter so that I could either pump water from the tank to the house or from the mains to the tank. It only needed a little mains pressure and the pump ensured our tank had enough to last until the next supply. It did mean getting up in the middle of the night but saved having to hang around for the water truck.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess we've been lucky. We've lived here almost 3 years, and this is our first unscheduled interruption.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I think it is illegal to pump direct from the mains supply, though I do have a check valve arrangement so that the pump only works if the mains pressure is too low. It pumps directly from the tank. It is a 1200 liter tank in Bangkok and it seems to go the distance these days.
วินเชนท์
Majestic Creek

Post by Majestic Creek »

It seems I am alone in my experience of non water supply for the last three weeks. I also have a large tank holding about 12 cu metres of water, which is soon depleted with showers, loo flushing, swimming pool top up and garden watering.

I have visited the PWA web site, a very informative and professional site that declares a ' service level agreement' to it's customers, a regionalised performance on water delivery and a complaints e mail link.

So, I went through the process of complaining about the lack of water supply, filled all the boxes in in Thai, with help from my Thai wife, and went to the ' submit' button. It required me to copy the four numbers displayed, to verify this was a genuine e-mail. Guess what, each time I typed the numbers in.....not recognised.

So, when they evaluate the amount of complaint e-mails recieved, yes, none! So the PWA record on complaints is an absolute zero, so all their customers are happy bunnies.

Still we have no water supply after three weeks, which would be expected if we lived in a third world country and had to go to a well miles from our village.....but, hey ho, we live in Thailand. Mmmmm, have to re-consider that one.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

You may be "alone" on the forum in that no other member here are reporting the same but certainly you are not "alone" in that you have neighbors that are having the same problem. What are they telling you?

Not that it makes a lot of difference but I note that your first post said all was well till last week. Your second post indicates that it's been two weeks and no water. The last one says no water for three weeks.

I guess times flies when you are can't get a bath!

Cheers!
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

I just read on a thai newspaper that Prachuap Khirikan is one of the 17 provinces suffering from serious drought.
This happens every year by end of February until the rain comes again, and Huahin requires more water than any other city in the province.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lucky for HH we have the dam/reservoir in Pranburi or we'd be really stuffed! The reservoir by the fly-over is constantly being fed from Pranburi this time of the year.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

There is also a new Dam being constructed at Hymonkul which looks very impressive. I hope they stock it with fish ( and keep the netters away)
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!