Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:41 pm Nereus. It must be riveting to have a conversation with you over a beer. LOL - just joking!!!
Be a dry argument as I don't drink!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Weather Warning

" Tropical storm “SONCA” over upper South China Sea "
No. 3 Time Issued : July 24, 2017

At 04 a.m. LST today (24 July), the tropical storm “SONCA” over the upper South China Sea was centered about 500 kilometers east of Hanoi, Vietnam or latitude 17.2 degree North, longitude 111.3 degree East. It is moving almost stationary with maximum sustained wind about 35 knots or 65 km/hr. It is expected make landfall over upper Vietnam on 25 July and move to the Northeast and the North. Abundant rain with isolated heavy to very heavy rain over country. Details of affected areas are as below:
During 24-25 July

North: Chiang Rai, Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun

Northeast: Loei, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Udon Thani, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon,

Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Amnat Charoen and Ubon Ratchathani.

East: Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

During 26-28 July

North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Phrae, Nan,

Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Tak and Kamphaeng Phet.

Northeast: Chaiyaphum, Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan,

Kalasin, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Central: Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi,

Ratchaburi and Bangkok and vicinity.

East: Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Ranong, Phangnga and Phuket.

People should beware of severe weather conditions that cause possible flash floods until 28 July 2017.

The strong southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea and the South. The strong winds waves are likely 2-3 meters high in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats in the upper Andaman Sea keep ashore during 25-28 July.

All travelers should stay tuned for the weather update.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It is moving almost stationary
:roll:
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 am
It is moving almost stationary
:roll:
I'm not sure how or from where they get the English language version on the website, but the original Thai language announcement simply says "the storm is slowly moving."

Other versions of the announcement issued at different times say the storm is almost stationary. So I think the general idea is fairly clear - it's moving, but not very fast.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Hey Hua Hin any scooter owners, well here is an idea for staying dry on your scooter.
I just hope I don't need it in December to February
Geezer
phpT3aSICPM.jpg
phpT3aSICPM.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Weather warning for 30 provinces http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -provinces

Widespread heavy rain is forecast for the next three days, from Friday to Sunday, with warnings of possible flooding, runoff and mudslides in 30 provinces of the North, the Northeast, the East and the western coast of the South.

The weather warning is bad news for people in many provinces still suffering from the flooding caused by storm Sonca last week.

Chatchai Phromlert, director-general of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, said on Thursday conditions could be severe in 10 provinces of the North - Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Phetchabun, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai and Uttaradit.

In the Northeast, the warning is for 12 provinces - Bung Kan, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Nakhon Phanom, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani and Yasothon.

In the East, the warning is for 4 provinces - Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Rayong and Trat.

On the western coast of the South, the warning is for 4 provinces - Krabi, Phangnga, Phuket and Ranong.

Mr Chatchai said there was still flooding in nine provinces from last week's storm.

Eight were in the Northeast - Amnat Charoen, Kalasin, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Ubon Ratchathani, and Yasothon. The other was Ayutthaya in the Central Plain.

Heavy rain and flooding since July 5 had claimed 23 lives - 9 in Sakon Nakhon, where there was flooding in all 18 districts, and 4 in Roi Et, where all 20 districts also had flooding.

In the past month, flooding had affected 1.22 million people in 8,183 villages of 44 provinces, Mr Chatchai said.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

WELL Hua Hin, it may be dry there and the water in the Reservoir is a bit low, but at least
it is not as hot there as in some places in Europe. I am wondering why the richer people don't
get a plane ticket to Thailand to cool off a bit
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Heavy rain predicted for next five days

Breaking News August 13, 2017 14:12 By The Nation http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30323674

Rainfall will increase in many parts of Thailand, including Bangkok, over the next five days.

The Meteorological Department has predicted higher rainfall and heavy downpours for many provinces in the country’s East, South and Central regions.

The agency warned residents of Bangkok and its adjacent provinces of the dangers associated with cloudbursts and accumulated significant rainfall.

While flooding has already subsided in most of the North and Northeast, run-off water is now heading south towards the capital.

In Angthong province, water levels have increased by more than 10 centimetres a day over the past few days. The rising water level is due to discharges from the Chao Phraya Dam in upstream Chai Nat province and continued rain. Some paddy fields in the Angthong have already been swamped.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governor warning Phuket residents about more floods and storms

Breaking News August 15, 2017 12:43 By Phuket Gazette http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30323848

Following the heavy rain that continues from Sunday night, Phuket’s Governor, Norapat Plodthong, is expressing his concerns about more flash flooding and storms in many areas across the island.

“According to the TMD (Thai Meteorological Department) Office of the Southern West Coast, from Monday until Saturday, there is a moderate Southwest monsoon that is affecting the Andaman Sea as well as the whole west coast of southern Thailand,” said the Governor.

He explained that the torrential rains with isolated heavy downpours are expected in Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi, Ranong, Trang and Satun and people in the area should beware of the accumulated rainfall that could possibly cause flash floods.

He also asked sea crews and tour boats to be careful as the Andaman Sea has seas up to 2-3 meters high waves together with high winds and rain storms. He recommends mall boats in the Andaman to stay ashore over the next few days.

“I would like everybody to follow the weather forecast updates closely. If there are any local disasters or problems please contact your local administration as they are prepared with manpower and rescue equipment 24/7, especially in the risky areas that used to suffer from floods and landslides.”

So far, some areas of Phuket have already experienced floods today, including the island’s main tourist town, Patong, and some areas in Phuket Town such as Surin Soi 2, the route connecting Phuket town with Koh Sirae.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've lost faith in weather forecasting here, no surprise I guess. Where I am is now in the 4th period over a 2 month time span where heavy rain was predicted only to get absolute zero. :banghead: It's as dry in my area of Rayong as it is at the height of the hot season. Oh well...maybe this next storm system.....? :roll: Pete :cheers:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017 ... ationwide/ (Video/photos at link)

BANGKOK — Brace for some very wet days as heavy rain is expected throughout the realm into next week. Either way, rain.

The capital is in for a drenching that will peak Sunday then continue through Tuesday, with lows of 24C and highs of 36C. Commuters should expect to be stuck in traffic slower than a zombie’s shuffle.

More rain is expected in the flood-ravaged north, central and eastern provinces, where dozens of lives have been lost and and waters have yet to recede.

The southern provinces will see a 70 percent to 80 percent chance of rain through Saturday and slightly less thereafter. Residents are advised to be on alert for flooding, and ships on the Andaman coast are warned to stay ashore through Friday.

The meteorological maesters say the downpours to come are due to southeastern monsoons moving over the Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand compounded by a low-pressure system moving in over north Vietnam.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The below is a bit deceiving as the bottom bands of this storm are already hitting central and southern Vietnam, Cambodia and eastern Thailand. We had 2 hours of downpour this afternoon which almost destroyed our local golf course with flooding and high winds. In any event, it's a wide storm and the effects will be felt far outside of the Northeast and North of Thailand. Pete :cheers:

Weather Warning

"Storm DOKSURI "
No. 2 Time Issued : September 13, 2017

At 10.00 a.m. LST on 13 September, tropical storm DOKSURI over the upper South China Sea is due at latitude 15.1 degree North, longitude 116.6 degree East, with maximum sustained winds about 75 knots. The storm is moving west at speed of 15 km/hr. It is forecast to move through Hai Nan, China and make landfall over upper Vietnam by 15 September. During 15-16 more rain will be likely with torrential downpour in the Northeast and the North due to its impact. People should stay tuned for the weather update.

The southwest monsoon across the Andaman Sea and the South will intensify during 14-18 September leading to more rain and isolated heavy downpour in the South and the East. The winds in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf gets strong with waves up to 2-3 meters high. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats keep ashore.

The advisory is in effect on 13 September 2017, at 11.00 a.m.

This next issue will be at 13 September 2017, at 5.00 p.m.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

When is Hua Hin getting any. It's seriously hurting my water bill. Haven't seen rain for quite a while. Keeps threatening but always passes over, at least in my part of HH.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dark clouds this pm but nary a drop of rain. I thought September was supposed to be the rainiest month in HH.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Had a very heavy downpour this afternoon here in Bang Saphan but cleared after
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They now have the tropical storm hitting the entire country as expected. You'll see from the satellite link it's actually trying to develop an eye. Pete :cheers:

Satellite link: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemil ... scolw.html

Weather Warning

"Storm DOKSURI"
No. 5 Time Issued : September 14, 2017

At 4.00 a.m. LST on 14 September, tropical storm DOKSURI is due at latitude 16.1 degree North, longitude 112.6 degree East, with maximum sustained winds about 90 km/hr. The storm is moving west-northwest at speed of 30 km/hr through Tonkin Bay and make landfall over Hanoi, Vietnam by 15 September. During 14-15 September more rain will be likely with torrential downpour in the North, the Northeast, the East and the South, and during 15-16 it affects the whole country. People should stay tuned for the weather update.

The southwest monsoon across the Andaman Sea and the South will intensify during 14-18 September. The winds in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf gets strong with waves up to 2-3 meters high. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats keep ashore.