Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by 404cameljockey »

I just had an Android Hua Hin weather alert pop up on my phone:

"In the next 24h, temperature will decrease by 4.0 degrees; please dress appropriately".

Love the use of the semicolon!
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I so hope that's an accurate prediction.

They do make it sound though as if a 4 degree drop means get the winter woolies out.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Its about as accurate as the following: The forecast for tonight, it will be dark.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Seems cooler but not exactly knitted underwear weather.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Weather Warning

"Severe weather over Thailand and strong wind and waves over the South "
No. 1 Time Issued : June 7, 2018

During 8-11 June 2018, the strong southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf cause more rain and isolated heavy to very heavy rain in the North, the Northeast, the central, the East and the upper South. People should beware of severe weather and stay tuned for the weather forecast. Affected areas are as followings:

8-9 June

North: Chiang Rai, Phyao, Nan, Lampang, Phrae, Uttaradit, Tak, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun.

Northeast: Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen and Ubon Ratchathani.

Central: Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi.

East: Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket and Krabi.

10-11 June

North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Phitsanulok, Phichit and Phetchabun.

Northeast: Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Amnat CharoenKhon and Ubon Ratchathani.

Central: Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi.

East: Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

The strong wind and waves are likely 2-3 meters in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf from Surat Thani northward. All ships should proceed with cautions and small boat should keep ashore. People in the coastal areas of the East and the South west coast should beware of storm surge.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They're talking about 2-3 meter waves in the upper gulf for the next 7 days. If true some good photo ops, but also undoubtedly your beach will be buried in debris as in previous years.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 am They're talking about 2-3 meter waves in the upper gulf for the next 7 days. If true some good photo ops, but also undoubtedly your beach will be buried in debris as in previous years.
Hmm, still waiting for the last forecast:
"Severe weather over Thailand and strong wind and waves over the South "
No. 1 Time Issued : June 7, 2018
During 8-11 June 2018, the strong southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf cause more rain and isolated heavy to very heavy rain in the North, the Northeast, the central, the East and the upper South. People should beware of severe weather and stay tuned for the weather forecast. Affected areas are as followings:
The SW Monsoon is established, but it is by no means "strong" as the TMD keep claiming! All of the synoptic charts at the 3 levels reported on show a very weak Westerly to SW flow, so how they can predict big waves in the Gulf remains a secret! The Andaman side MAY develop some big waves, but unlikely in the Gulf. The wind strengths being reported simply do not support the high wave predictions.

The "storm" being reported on the swimming the Pacific thread, is also tending to affect the SW Monsoon, along with yet another high pressure area in southern China that is blocking it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 am They're talking about 2-3 meter waves in the upper gulf for the next 7 days. If true some good photo ops, but also undoubtedly your beach will be buried in debris as in previous years.
They're still talking about this and have been all week. Now they're warning about "onshore surges". Anyone seen any signs of this? Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Anything can happen! BUT, the synoptic charts are showing the surface winds in the middle of the Andaman sea at 20 knots tops, and onshore and inside the Gulf of Thailand at 10 knots maximum. Upper winds at 925 hpa (approx. 2,500 feet) are no more than 15 knots with a maximum onshore around Phuket of 20 knots. Upper winds at 850 hpa (approx. 5,000 feet) top out at 35 knots around Phuket, and less than 20 knots in the Gulf. Those reports are dated at 0600 UTC, midday today here.

Also, I see now that they are referring to the SW Monsoon as "moderate"! Raining right now in Bangkok with T/ storms out near the Airport, but only light winds.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Calm down here in Bang Saphan. A little drizzle last night, but no real rain since monday
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

11 provinces warned of floods, high waves
Two provinces in the lower Central and nine in the South have been warned of possible flash floods, landslides and strong wind waves, according to Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general Chayapol Thitisak.

Mr Chayapol said the department’s warning is based on the Thai Meteorological Department’s weather forecast that during June 18-20 the southwest monsoon covering the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand will become stronger.

Waves in the Andaman Sea are expected to be 2-4 metres high and in the Gulf of Thailand 2-3 metres high. People are advised to take precautions against possible flash floods, landslides and strong wind waves in the face of accumulated rainwater.

Areas prone to flash floods and landslides are Muang, Tha Sae, Sawi, Lang Suan and Phato districts of Chumphon province; Tha Chana, Tha Chang, Wiphawadi, Khirirath Nikhom and Phanom districts of Surat Thani; Muang, Kraburi, La-un and Kapoe districts of Ranong; and, Khura Buri, Takua Pa, Kapong, Tai Muang and Takua Thung districts of Phangnga.

The 11 provinces where people are warned against strong wind and high waves are Phetchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan in the lower Central; and, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun in the South.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/11-pro ... igh-waves/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I often wonder if these twits are just extracting the urine. It is not possible, even with "lost in translation", to publish crap like this:
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...
at 10:00 June 23, 2018
The moderate southwest monsoon prevails across the upper Andaman Sea, and the Gulf of Thailand while the low pressure covers upper Vietnam. Less rain is forecast for the country while isolated heavy rain is expected in the Northeast. Flash flood is possible for the risk areas. The moderate wind waves are likely about 2 meters high in the upper Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf of Thailand 1-2 meters high. All ships in the Andaman Sea should proceed with caution.
The Northeast is evidently not part of Thailand, and flash floods are only possible in risk areas! Yesterday it was a "strong Monsoon". It must of run out of puff trying to create those huge waves that never happened! The pressure gradients shown on their own Website are exactly the same as those covering all of Thailand. :roll:

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've noticed these past months that their wording seems to be trying to cover all eventualities. This but then that....maybe. :laugh:

For me it has been hot season temps in the east the past two days. Burn the skin off your back if out without a shirt. 36-37c easy. Pete :cheers: