The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by thecolonel »

sateeb wrote:Argylle just dropped on YTS

When the plots of reclusive author Elly Conway's fictional espionage novels begin to mirror the covert actions of a real-life spy organization, quiet evenings at home become a thing of the past. Accompanied by her cat Alfie and Aiden, a cat-allergic spy, Elly races across the world to stay one step ahead of the killers as the line between Conway's fictional world and her real one begins to blur.

https://yts.mx/movies/argylle-2024

Been waiting a while for this one although it has had mixed reviews. :cheers:
Think I'll wait for a few of you to watch this before I download....

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Ginjaninja wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:54 pm Love Sam Rockwell...
Agreed. Moon that's been mentioned is great. I like matchstick men. Three Billboards he was fantastic in. Up there in my favourite actors I'd say.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:26 pm
sateeb wrote:Argylle just dropped on YTS

When the plots of reclusive author Elly Conway's fictional espionage novels begin to mirror the covert actions of a real-life spy organization, quiet evenings at home become a thing of the past. Accompanied by her cat Alfie and Aiden, a cat-allergic spy, Elly races across the world to stay one step ahead of the killers as the line between Conway's fictional world and her real one begins to blur.

https://yts.mx/movies/argylle-2024

Been waiting a while for this one although it has had mixed reviews. :cheers:
Think I'll wait for a few of you to watch this before I download....
Too silly.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

No more nonsensical than your average Marvel/DC movies :naughty: :laugh:

Having said that I gave it half an hour. Got a lot more to chose from on my HD. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 am No more nonsensical than your average Marvel/DC movies :naughty: :laugh:

How very dare you!!
Having said that I gave it half an hour. Got a lot more to chose from on my HD. :cheers:
Exactly how long I gave it. You see? We have more in common cinematically than you thought. Perhaps we should move in together... :naughty:
:cheers: :cheers:
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:25 pm
sateeb wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 am No more nonsensical than your average Marvel/DC movies :naughty: :laugh:

How very dare you!!
Exactly how long I gave it. You see? We have more in common cinematically than you thought. Perhaps we should move in together... :naughty:
:cheers: :cheers:
What time does hell freeze over amigo? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I revisit a lot of classics on yts when a 4k version comes about. Always checking it. If you got a 4k TV why not get your money's worth.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids recently added in full HD. :D

https://yts.mx/movies/honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-1989
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:27 pm Too silly.
Oh, I need a bit of sillyness in my life - still not watched it yet though...
Lost wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:59 pm I revisit a lot of classics on yts when a 4k version comes about. Always checking it. If you got a 4k TV why not get your money's worth.
Unfortunately for me mate - I don't have 4K Vision!! 1080 works fine..... :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Just watched the Netflix film Damsel. A fairy tale 'in days of old' where the prince definitely doesn't rescue the princess! A little dark and scary in parts for the very very young maybe but otherwise completely family friendly.

Watching Poor Things this evening and expecting great things (it's a Yorgos Lanthimos direction) although I still didn't read the book yet. I will report.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I watched Poor Things and enjoyed it very much. A bizarre moral and philosophical road trip, and often hugely darkly funny. Cinematography is stunning, with Yanthimos's often lurid but beautiful colour grading of external sets breathtaking. Emma Stone plays terrifically, and her body is very much on display throughout the film, so, nudity then. Also 'adult themes'.

Now to read the book for a less mind-bending rendition!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dune Part 2 - there's a pretty good 1080p. TS (telecine) out now, release group EMIN3M.

Video is fairly good quality, not completely sure if the colours are muted compared to the cinema release, I guess so as is usual, it's either that or garish overcompensated colour. The sound is quite clear but with that CAM/TS cinema recorded fuzziness. Spanish subtitles clutter the screen especially when English subs are also overlaid on the Fremen dialogue.

It's far from the worst but a proper DVDRIP or similar will come along before too long. If you're dying to see it and not a perfectionist, it's watchable. Of course I'm not advocating pir4cy.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Thought this was a great comedy. Ricky Stanicky . Zac Efron, John Cena, William H. Macy. Easy watch with some real laugh out loud moments, I thought. :D

https://yts.mx/movies/ricky-stanicky-2024
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Lost wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:31 am Thought this was a great comedy. Ricky Stanicky . Zac Efron, John Cena, William H. Macy. Easy watch with some real laugh out loud moments, I thought. :D

Just a warning before watching, an AP News article in the US says it's similar to the director's previous There’s Something About Mary.
"Now, Farrelly is banking on that same thirst for vulgarity and depraved humor"
"And while the powers that be in Hollywood expressed reservations about making something that skewers certain stereotypes — like millennial parents and method actors — and is saturated with sex and drug humor, Farrelly is confident he is satiating an appetite."

I enjoyed Farrelly's silly Dumb and Dumber long ago, There’s Something About Mary less so. He believes his new film is 'boundary-pushing' so it will certainly be gross-out comedy of the highest (or lowest) order, and R rated for sure.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:40 am
Lost wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:31 am Thought this was a great comedy. Ricky Stanicky . Zac Efron, John Cena, William H. Macy. Easy watch with some real laugh out loud moments, I thought. :D

Just a warning before watching, an AP News article in the US says it's similar to the director's previous There’s Something About Mary.
"Now, Farrelly is banking on that same thirst for vulgarity and depraved humor"
"And while the powers that be in Hollywood expressed reservations about making something that skewers certain stereotypes — like millennial parents and method actors — and is saturated with sex and drug humor, Farrelly is confident he is satiating an appetite."

I enjoyed Farrelly's silly Dumb and Dumber long ago, There’s Something About Mary less so. He believes his new film is 'boundary-pushing' so it will certainly be gross-out comedy of the highest (or lowest) order, and R rated for sure.
One of my favourite comedies is 'Dumb and Dumber'. To be honest, 'There's Something About Mary' is up there too.

For me, Ricky Stanicky falls closer to the former than the latter in regards to content. It's not 'boundary-pushing' in any way. Christ, twenty years back we had Tom Green's 'Freddy Got Fingered'... :laugh:

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Watched Suspiria 2018 recently. Went into it blind and didn't realise it was a remake of an apparent cult classic from Dario Argento in 1977. Amazing film! Spell binding in a Midsommar kind of way. Ginjaninja, you'll enjoy this one if you've not already seen it. BB, I doubt you'd enjoy this. (Edit: I think the Thai wives certainly will though :D )

https://yts.mx/movies/suspiria-2018

Original here which I'll get round to...

https://yts.mx/movies/suspiria-1977