A bit steep for a kindergarten

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
buksida

A bit steep for a kindergarten

Post by buksida »

Been looking to move buksi junior the first to a better schooling environment now that he is 3. Prattana has been ok but I don't need to pay someone to watch the kids while they sleep half the day then have them causing mayhem when I want to get some shuteye.

Yamsaard was our first choice but they've hiked the prices up now and I'll be looking at about 100k a year (includes grub, enrollment and anything else they decide to tack on) ... for a kindergarten. Can anyone else who sends their nippers there tell me its worth it?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

The school is pretty good, but the price you quote seems pretty steep, and about 30% up on what I paid last year.

The school was pretty keen to add on extras that our kids "needed" of course at an extra cost, these were for extra tuition so I doubt if they have bundled these extras in the new fees.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Both my kids went to kindergarten at Salesian. Cost is around 10,000 baht per year which is a big difference of the 'international schools'. I was very happy with what they were taught. The biggest thing in my eyes was their excellence in swimming when kindergarton was finished. they have their own pool and are instructed quite well. Both my kids, 7 and 9 now swim like fishes. We are considering putting the elder one into professional classes with a view to competition swimming.

Food is included and there are options to do 'Pii Saet' which gives them an exra 1 and a half hours after school for around 500 baht a month.

There are quite a few 'Leuk Kungs' there to mix with.

Excellent for kindergarton. Afterwards, you can always choose to put them into an 'international corriculum' but you will have saved a lot of money in those 3 years.

Certainly value for money outside of the 'Som Tawin' type schools.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Buksi

Both my boys went to Somtawin (Kinder & Grade) and are now at Yamsaard.

I've stated on here before that in my view Yamsaard is far better - especially if your child is to stay and grow up in Thailand.

However, Kindergarten costs ARE high - (Higher than grade even!), and whilst I would recommend Yamsaard, I DO balk at the Kinder costs.

I would go along with HHTel's suggestion and wait until the young Buksi is ready for Grade School before considering spending more.

Regarding the 'add ons'. I don't know of ANY school that does not do this. IMHO it's another way of earning extra money. You will have to judge for yourself whether or not your child needs extra tuition.
buksida

Post by buksida »

In a bit of a quandary now, little dude is only 3 and its only kindergarten which is essentially 'play-learning' so does it warrant 100k a year?

I know kids absorb more when they're younger but does it really matter that much at this age? Would a regular kindergarten differ so much from an expensive one?

I guess it comes down to exposure to English and the earlier the better they say. Somtawin seems more of an English environment and Yamsaard is more Thai but as Terry says they really need both.

May have to consult the oracle over the weekend on this also and see what my mother has to say about it!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Buksi

The 'problem' with Somtawin is (was) the kids only got 1 hour of Thai tuition per day. This is aparantly the minimum legal requirement. This is OK if the child is of 'transient' parents - i.e. not staying here for very long.

If your child is to grow up as a Thai Citizen then you owe it to him / her to ensure that they understand how to speak, read and write in their mother tongue, understanding their culture as well as being able to do the same in English.

From my experience Somtawin does not achieve this.

Yamsaard has both an English and Thai speaking home room teacher and the curriculum is split almost 50 / 50 to both languages.

Both my lads seem to be thriving on it.

Having said all this, it is still a lot cheaper to follow HHTel's concept which seems very sensible.

A childs brain is like a sponge anyway - up to the age of about 8 - 10 (varies with individual), so starting formal exposure to English at around 6 is still not too late. Clearly though, if young Busksi got exposure to a more formal English environment now he would probably benefit more from it.

Your decision is not an easy one I know.