EURO 2008

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

EURO 2008

Post by Guess »

I am surprised that this competition seems to draw little interest. I could not find a single existing thread.

Anyway from the results yesterday it looks like Scotland only have to get a win in Georgia and England only need a draw in Russia on Wednesday night for them both to qualify.

As for Northern Europe, it looks good for Norway but I think Finland blew it yesterday by failing to win.

Have I missed something?
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm afraid to say too much, because with a d**khead like McLaren in charge it can't last :(

Group B looks very interesting with one of the Big Two looking as if they may fall at the first hurdle.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Yes, a 0-0 in Belgia isn't enough. Next game is Kazakstan at home but the last one is in Portugal, so no high hopes of qualifying.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The locals here in Luxembourg are amazed that they actually managed to win a match, (Belorus 1-0) as they only have a couple of professional players here and apparently it's the best result they've had in twelve years.
It was quite amusing being out last night with all the English banking community here celebrating the rugby victory and the Luxembourgers saying "thats nothing, our soccer team just scored a goal!"
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

Scotland's group is very interesting, but technically they still need 4 points from the last two games. They play Georgia away on Wednesday and then the crunch against Italy at Hampden next month.

Strangely enough, they can afford to get beat by Georgia as long as they beat Italy (they're only world champions after all :wink: ) in the last game at Hampden.

It's all going to come down to that last game :guns: It should be an absolutely enthralling day! :cheers:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

euro2008

Post by redzonerocker »

yes don it will be tight but what a position to be in! its in your own hands :thumb:
you have surpassed all expectations.
from the group of death,i'm sure even the most diehard of scottish fans wouldn't have believed you would be in this position with two games to go?
credit where its due :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

Yes redzone, it is quite incredible when you consider France and Italy contested the last world cup final and don't forget Ukraine also reached the quarter finals before being beaten by Italy.

For Scotland to be sitting clear at the top of the group with two games to go is really unbelievable :shock:

redzone
from the group of death,i'm sure even the most diehard of scottish fans wouldn't have believed you would be in this position with two games to go?
Never mind at the start of the tournament, Scottish fans that wake up today (yes there will be some that will write today off and start again tomorrow :roll: ) still can't believe the position we're in.

However, we will enjoy it while it lasts as there are still two games to go and we are talking Scotland here :thumb: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
I'm afraid to say too much, because with a d**khead like McLaren in charge it can't last :?
Deep down I always knew it was going to happen - I suppose I'll have to support Scotland in the summer :oops:

With a loser in charge, its like giving the opposition a goal start!

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Again boys, IMHO it´s not the manager´s fault. In all honesty did you think England looked good? It was all Russia since England had that one and only chance they had. Please, don´t shoot me for this message, we are also out, but then again, we are used to it and nobody is blaming the manager, even though, he is English. :cheers: :mrgreen: :cry: :shock:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Robinson? 'Nuff said.

No Lamps? Have all the balance you want, but can you always rely on Gerrard to provide the penetration?

Very one paced - lethargic. unable to raise it to respond to Russia doing so.

When we we learn to play to your main assests strengths? Owen/Rooney doesn't work. And its Owen that gets the goals.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bamboo Grove wrote:
Again boys, IMHO it´s not the manager´s fault.
No, I don't blame the manager - if somebody offfered me a job with half the salary he's on I'd take it. I wouldn't feel any guilt either if I knew that I couldn't do the job.

I blame the idiots at the FA who appointed a no hoper with no proven track record or pedigree. When they failed to appoint the man they wanted, they panicked and picked the first clown available.

Points 48; Position 20
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

don't get too downhearted yet boys save some for after the rugby world cup final
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Maybe England can hire Guus Hiddink.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Won't be necessary. Russia'll lose to Andorra :shock:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

caller wrote:No Lamps? Have all the balance you want, but can you always rely on Gerrard to provide the penetration?
Can you rely on Lampard to do anything but shoot on sight as opposed to passing to someone in a better position?

Gerrards not in the best form of his life but has 10 times more to his game than Lampard IMO.