A cooking utensil

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
lomuamart

A cooking utensil

Post by lomuamart »

Can anyone help, because this is driving me mad!!!
I'm looking for the English name for a barbecue/soup cooking utensil that's used extensively here.
It's about the circumference of a wok, with a dome in the middle on which you barbecue. There is a "moat" around the outside into which you put water and boil up vegetables as a soup.
I've looked all over the internet, but simply don't know the name. Quite often, they're used over an earthenware structure into which you put hot coals.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

You mean a hot pot?
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

Lomu you old dog ya, I would call it a Korean BBQ pan. You put it over the BBQ and put the meat on the dome bit and the soup is in the lip. Really tasty way of cooking. Don't know if that's the technical term for it but it works for me. See ya for a beer soon Dunc :thumb:
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yep, that's what they are. Quite a few restaurants use them over here, but not all say Korean. You odrer up your meat, seafood and vegtables from a wide selection and BBQ the meat/seafood on the dome and make your soup concoction with the veggies in the moat surrounding the dome. Powered by a gas canister located under the table. Good stuff. My favorite over here serves garlic rice as a side dish...yum...yum. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

This may not be the modern version about what most of you are describing, but is probably one that is used in the villages.
http://www.thaifoodtonight.com/thaifood ... ensils.htm

There is a utensil called a 'Stove" half way down the page, I think from the description this could be what you are looking for.

There is a thing on here called Thai Charcoal BBQ
http://importfood.com/thaibbq.html

They also do similar on for whole fish
http://importfood.com/cwfp1601.html

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yup, that's the one folks.
However, I can't find a picture of it on the internet. I've tried every kind of permutation of:
chinese+cooking+utensils
korean " "
mongolian " "

I'll give korean+barbecue+pan a go now.
Thanks everyone. It's just that my Mum dosn't understand what I'm going on about when describing this method of cooking. She'll know it when she she's a picture.And sure, a great way to eat.
Pete, some of the Korean barbecue restaurants here allow you a buffet. The food costs next to nothing, but they "fine" you on the bill for any plate that has food left on it. That's a pretty good idea
:thumb:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

You're to the rescue again, chelsea.
Exactly - a stove. The steamer dosn't look right though.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I wish some people would use search. :wink: :D

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/attractions.htm

Restuarants:4
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

Im pretty glad that a lot of people DONT use search, People wouldnt get to interact as much if they did. :thumb:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

T'was but mere banter.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

Banter away dear chap :D Just some people get a right strop on about searching! Me I take it as an opportunity to chat :D
Enjoy :thumb: :thumb:
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

lomuamart, try searching under Thai Cooking Utensils, that is where I found those other links.
I did not go any further than the 1st pages in bothe Yahoo and Google.
There is a similar thing that they use in Morrocon cooking called a Turrene, but is not quite what you asked for.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I know exactly what you're talking about - the Thais call it 'moo gataar', and you can easily buy the kit at the wet market in Hua Hin. Just browse around the cookery shops on the outskirts. Failing that, they also sell what you want in the supermarket in the Shopping Mall - right at the back with all the odds and ends.

We have two 'kits' - a smaller one for 'intimate' dinners, and a larger one for a free-for-all with friends. They cost around 100-150 baht for the bottom (charcoal) bit and the same price for the top dome bit.

Slice up some chicken, beef, pork and (the best bit) bacon for the top bit. Finely slice cabbage, matchstick carrots, halve baby sweetcorn, and put a few handfulls of bean sprouts in the soupy bit. Before you put anything in the soup bit, dissolve a Knorr cube of chicken or pork (doesn't matter) in some hot water and pour it in the base. Boil up some plain rice and Robert's your relative. It's a delicious, easy to prepare meal.

My favourite outdoor meal. :D

VS

P.S. Make sure that the table is fireproof (concrete or metal) as the charcoal bit gets extremely hot...
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hey Talking of Moo Kra Taah!!!

In the (not so distant) past (during them study years @ STF U,) my fellas and me went to almost all of the Moo Kra Taah places in Hua Hin and tested them all. We where about a group six to nine students all hungry as hell as we hopped on the 6pm Unv. shuttle to get us into downtown.
In the past there was one Moo Krah Taahh place almost right next to Ruammit German Restauranton Amnuaysin Rd. which had been tested from us by us (fubu) we gave gave it Two Thumbs Up The meat was good the bacon exellent and the Vegetable as fresh it can be. but sadly as we wanted to go eat there again this place non exsistant.
Another place we gave a Two Thumbs up is the Moo Kra Taah right next too Sri Ayutaya Bank en route into town. I think it's @ the head of the street where HH Ham and Bacon is located.
It's an unannomymous decision by all nine of us that that place was the best place in Hua Hin by far.
What's the worst place hmm.... I remmeber way back then was one Moo Kra Taah Grand Plaza special market. we ate there everything was fine up umtil late in the evening hours back @ campus dorm where with all members tummy starts to hurt and bowels started to move'n groove violently!. The rest you can imagine...

Your's former Moo Kra Taah Tester
The understudy!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Right. I'll try searching again.
The phrase "moo guitar" (at least that's how I spell it and remember the name), I'm aware of. It was the English name of the "steamer/cooking untensil" that I was trying to find and then a photo of it so I could explain it better to my mother.
Hadn't thought of "Thai cooking utensils", chelsea. I tried just about all the other countries in Asia, but forgot the one I live in :idea:
Thanks for all the input.