Non O 3 vs 12 month initially

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
niggle
Guru
Guru

Non O 3 vs 12 month initially

Post by niggle »

Getting over there to retire at end of June. Still debating over whether to go for a 3 month Non O and sort out changing to retirement when we have been there a couple of months or whether to go for Non O 1 year with all the more complicated application issues. Any advice appreciated.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

If you're definitely coming over to retire, rather than explore the possibilities, I'd be inclined to go for the 1 year OA (AO?) visa whilst at home. Appreciate you will probably need a police report and maybe a few other things, but other than the former, I didn't think the process was really much more complicated than doing it here. At least access to any additional information/papers should be easier back home.
That way, you don't have to worry about persuading Imm in HH for a year, just do your reporting - and you're stamped in for a year at the start.
I havn't done it, so hope I'm advising you correctly. Maybe other members can shed a bit more light?
nevets
Guru
Guru

1 year visa

Post by nevets »

A 1 year visa will take about 18months to get , so the sooner you start the better. I started my visa 5yrs ago and things may of changed but after giving your documents in you get stamped visa under consideration . They used to only meet 2times a year and go through the applications and never gave a 1year visa in the first year, just a stamp under consideration and come back in 1month or if Lucky 2months hope its got better , as i said did mine 5yrs ago ,its best to have a 1 year visa and worth the trouble .
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

I've been on Thai Immigration websites many times, their advice (as long as you meet the criteria.) Don't bother with a one year multi entry as you're wasting your money, get a 3 month non imm o and apply before the visa runs out!
It makes sense to me.
Onlyme. :D
¼Ã
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

my visa was a non imm o Thai wife single entry made in bkk cost 1900bhat now a days , the visa i have had for the past 2 yrs is a retirement one . Both visa requires a non imm , and i have never done a 90 day visa run out of the kingdom .If you leave the kingdom to work or holiday then a reentry permit is required cost now 1000single and 3500bht multiple . I am now 55yrs old and they changed the age for a retirement visa from 54 to 50 2 yrs ago and i got a retirement visa then . When i came to stay 5yrs ago i had a multi entry from the uk but i had to keep doing a visa run if i used that so scraped it and applied for a 1yr straight away ,see previous post. make a commitment and get a full visa that's done once a year and show them you really want to stay and are not a tourist. If i could get a Thai passport i would but i can not see that would be easy. :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The way I'd look at it is:
If you're totally confident that you'll have all the documents you'll need and will be able to get the year's extension at the end of a single-entry 3 month Non O visa, then go for it. The visa itself will be easy to obtain back home.
However, if you've missed anything, you're probably not going to have the time to put it right before the visa expires (Imm normally prefer that you apply for the ext within the last month of your 90 day stay). Then you're down to at least one more visa run (say to Penang) to get another single entry Non O.
If you come on an one year OA, then you've got plenty of time to sort things out if Imm want to see more info.
Another way round it would be to get a multi-entry Non O and again that will give you a year to sort things out. The only difference with this is that you'll have to exit the country every 90 days until the ext is granted.
To the OP, here's the gen on OA visas. You probably know it anyway:
http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493
Ralphsandbag

I Year 'OA' Visa from the UK

Post by Ralphsandbag »

‘O’ – ‘A’ Visa (London Embassy)
All visa forms taken off Royal Thai Embassy London website

DOCUMENTS TO BE NOTORISED ( our cost for this was £90.00)

a. Bank letter
b. Bank statement
c. Police report (cost for x2 persons total £40.00)
d. Medical certificate (cost for x2 persons total £100.00)
e. Pension certificate (If using this as part of your £14,000.00)

All the above must be originals.

f. Visa application form (3 copies)
Type of visa requested (top right hand corner) = write in “O-Aâ€
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

Medical certificate from Cha-Am hospital,50 baht. Don't go private as they don't accept the cert!
I once took a chap to Mahachai and told him before we left, a private medical certificate won't suffice, he assured me that it would.
Needless to say, we drove around Mahachai for half an hour to get a new medical cert from the local hospital!
Onlyme.
PS. Not so sure now if you need the certificate?
¼Ã
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

police report ,all they did was send 2 Thai police around to the house to see if i was cohabiting with a woman and that she was my wife , spoke to locals for a reference and went, cost 0 bhart. ps same for the other falang by me ,there are only 3 of us .
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

Its best to do all visa in Bangkok its much cheaper and you get the right info . i have never payed any more than the latest price 1900bhat.
Medical certificate local hospital( retirement , now not needed) 30 bhat. These prices are all in your own country of origin and are astronomical to pay for the up keep of the embasy. Do it when you get here.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Nevets,
That surprises me as the OP is asking about an extension based on retirement. There is no obligation to be co-habiting with a Thai for this extension. Maybe proof of address, but that's it.
However, in my case, I'll be applying for a "marriage" extension and then, quite rightly, Imm will want to see evidence of co-habiting. The marriage could be a sham. Nowadays, they do quite often "pop around for a cup of tea" to see if the claims are genuine.
Strange. Can you expand?
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

YES SORRY, i was referring to the original application 5 yrs ago which was a 1year non imm thai wife visa ,and then changed to a retirement visa 2yrs ago . The point that i was trying to make was that if the visa is made outside of Thailand you are being ripped off and ,inside of Thailand is very cheep. And the police reference was pointing to Ralphsandbags info on police check up i think he said 40 pounds.
Ralphsandbag

O A Visa UK Style

Post by Ralphsandbag »

nevets wrote:Its best to do all visa in Bangkok its much cheaper and you get the right info . i have never payed any more than the latest price 1900bhat.
Medical certificate local hospital( retirement , now not needed) 30 bhat. These prices are all in your own country of origin and are astronomical to pay for the up keep of the embasy. Do it when you get here.
Your right it is a lot cheaper doing it in LOS.....
But your info in a bit off....
1. Your price of 1900bhat is only for singlr entry !!!1
2. How does paying a doctors Fee/Police Fee/Solicitor Fee go towards the Up Keep of the Embassy ????

Ralphsandbag
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

multi entry is i think 3800bhat, and the point is you dont need to pay police , doctor or solicitor, if done from Thailand, but if any body does want to do the visa in the country of origin and spend more money then please go ahead ,i was only trying to help.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

And I think everyone was grateful for your input. Certainly if I get no joy out of Imm next week regarding my "marriage" extension, I'll have to wait till next Aug, when I turn 50 and apply for retirement.
Expect to get pumped for info then :thumb: