Censors extend Internet ban

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Censors extend Internet ban

Post by The understudy »

Censors extend Inernet ban

by Bangkokpost.com

The Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) said it had closed the internet chat board of pantip.comand was stepping up surveilance of Internet users to protect National Security.
ICT Minister Sittichai Poolkayauldom said the popular Rachadamnoen Wb Chat roomwas "flooded with posts compromising national Security". He made owners of discussion rooomsable for all posts by all users.
Mr. Sittichai announced he had called a meeting at Police Headquarters on Thursday.with caretaker the Police chief Seriphisut Temiyawej.
The subject will be how to catch and what to do with "netsurfers who post massages to create division in the country!"
Effective immeidatly the Pantip discussion room is closed. Mr. Sittichai said the closure will be temporary, but gave no hint how long it will remain shut.
The minister said the entire website will be closed if it does not cooperate with the ministry.
hestrongly warned others he might close them as well.
The ICT Ministry issued so callled "warnings" to Prachathai and Mthai.com to monitor all posts which might biolate national secuity and lease majesty.
At the same time he gave no hint on when - if ever- he plans to lift the toal block on Youtube, which has shut down the worlds most popular Video sharing website to many internet subcribers in Thailand/
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I have so much I'd like to say on this one but can't, and be responsible for the survival of HHAD at the same time.

We know what you meant UST, but I love your word "biolate". There is much in Thailand that should be biolated at present in order to improve the gene pool. They should also relax with a biolatte and we may be able to accomplish the goal chemically? :shock:

My door bell is ringing, some men in suits and sunglasses? Pete :cheers:
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Up's!!! Sorry Pete hit the wrong Key there. Want me to correct it or shall I leave it to be "biolated"?
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Biolated is fine, Herr Understudy.
I think we should all be a little careful what we say, at the mo. I like our little forum & want it to stay.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Intentionally left blank.
Last edited by PeteC on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

The Ministry of Information and Communications Technology ... Orwellian.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

We should really limit discussions on this topic as I fear we will be next.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Lev wrote:We should really limit discussions on this topic as I fear we will be next.
Yes, I agree. Things are getting quite unpredictable here now and perhaps dangerous. I dumped my last night's 'news report' as whoever is going to read it and get a laugh already has. Pete :cheers:
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

[quote="Lev"]We should really limit discussions on this topic as I fear we will be next.[/quote]

I completely agree with you Mr. Adinistrator! because I'm worried about this HHAD Forum.

Now I'll focus more on Helpfull Topics on my favorite Chill Out Town of Hua Hin.
caducus

Post by caducus »

Lev wrote:
"We should really limit discussions on this topic as I fear we will be next. "

Moderators do have to tread softly in this area. But the aim of the censors is not just to close down web-sites that are deemed to 'threaten national security', but to create a climate in which any person who disagrees with government policy is frightened to express their opinion.

Tread carefully - but do not stand still!
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Tread carefully means exactly that. I'm sure none of us want this forum to become a casualty of censorship laws. So, please, everyone, limit what you say on this forum, no matter what your personal views.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Those who don't like free speach like you to keep quiet.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PJG wrote:Those who don't like free speach like you to keep quiet.
I think the concern is a bit more than that concerning HHAD. It's a livelihood for several people. The circle will turn and in a few months I think we won't be uncomforable saying what we feel. For now it's not a big deal. They may not care what farangs say anyway, they seem to be focusing on Thai language forums.

I think if this was a yahoo or google membership 'group' we wouldn't have to worry. They seem only to moderate public forums? Pete :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

This is definitely a very sensitive issue right now; censorship of all manner of Thai media has increased dramatically in the past few weeks.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I'm sure most people on here know The Who song 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. Do I need to say anymore? :naughty: