Credit Card Transactions

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
seasider

Credit Card Transactions

Post by seasider »

Just want to give people a warning about one of the consequences of the dual exchange rate and using an overseas credit card in Home Pro.

I did several transactions yesterday on my Hong Kong credit card and also did some cash exchange. For the cash exchange I got 4.45 to the HK$ which is OK but not great (the HK$ is linked to the US Rupiah and as a result has sunk from the norm of around 5.25 but that is a different story).

Later I paid a bill at Springfield and noticed that the credit card slip also showed the amount in HK$ and gave the rate. This was 4.42. Again not great but nice to know at the point of sale and something I had not noticed before.

Then in the same evening I did at transaction at Home Pro. They asked me if I wanted it in HK$ or Thai Bhat. This was already strange to me but I asked for HK$. When they gave me the slip to sign the rate was 3.72!! I challenged the rate but to no avail so told them to cancel the transaction and do it again in Bhat. I shall see what it comes through as on my credit card bill but if it is that bad I'll be doing all future purchases with cash.

This may not be news to many of you but I was suprised at being given the choice in a shop. So keep an eye on those credit card slips. :guns:

Cheers

SS
Life's a beach.....