BEAR PROBLEMS

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
mardeemar
Novice
Novice

BEAR PROBLEMS

Post by mardeemar »

ON VISITING A GARDEN CENTRE I WAS HORRIFIED TO SEE A SMALL BEAR CUB AS A PET. DOES ANYONE KNOW TO WHOM I COULD REPORT THIS PROBLEM :(
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Try Edwin Wiek. He runs a Wildlife Sanctuary outside Cha Am. Website is www.wfft.org , phone no. 032 458135 & email info@wfft.org

Good luck & thanks for trying to help :cheers:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Thai government also has a hotline to report illegal wildlife. I don't know if this bear would qualify? The number is 1362. I've never used it and had it in my cell phone address book for more than 2 yers now. Assumption is that it is still a valid number. Pete :cheers:
Dicky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dicky »

This is one of the very few things that I don't really like about Thailand, that is,their apparent complete disregard for wildlife.What is the point in trying to keep a Bear for a pet?.They put animals in cages without any thought for the animals welfare-the cage is usually too small,reptiles just a bit of concrete with a pool of water.Remember seeing a Komodo Dragon in a cage at a park in AngThong made out of concrete reinforcing without even a proper floor.Would never be allowed in west.Having said all that it's their country and I can't really say too much. :cheers:
SuperTonic
Suspended
Suspended

Post by SuperTonic »

I agree that some of the treatment of animals is ridiculous. I saw a baby elephant at the elephant village chained up and found that very distasteful. It didn't seem very happy.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The first time I came here for a holiday in 1989, there was a baby elephant at The Royal Garden Village (now Anantara) that was chained up at night. A few of us went to the sister hotel on one occasion - The Royal Garden Resort, now The Marriott - where there was another. On inspection, this poor beast was tethered by the neck - with barbed wire!!! I'm not joking. We complained to reception, but I doubt anything was done.
I sincerely hope similar animals are not kept in the same conditions at these places today.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Whilst I am in no way condoning the treatment of wildlife in the cases highlighted above, the unfortunate truth is that in Asia, it is only the animal’s value as a pet or tourist attraction that has stopped it from being eaten. Actually Thais, being Buddhist are by no means the worst offenders in this department.
Tell a Thai about treating animals with respect and they will appreciate the sentiments behind the concept, even if they don’t carry it through into practice; if you were to have the same conversation with an Indonesian, he would laugh in your face.