Blackbirds?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Blackbirds?

Post by PeteC »

I've just spotted these, deep frozen at Carrefour. Is this a British dish? What do you do with these things? 4 & 20 blackbirds baked into a pie? :P Pete :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Pete, thats got nothing to do with us; Carrefour is French, and every true Englishman knows that you can't get a decent meal between Dover and Suez!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

LOL! The French are hardly represented at all here in pattaya, but it could well be they stock it for French restaurants? No clue. I spotted them as the raw flesh is actually black. My eyes then went to the label, and there it was in English and Thai. I don't know if imported or local Thai blackbirds. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:LOL! The French are hardly represented at all here in pattaya, but it could well be they stock it for French restaurants? No clue. I spotted them as the raw flesh is actually black. My eyes then went to the label, and there it was in English and Thai. I don't know if imported or local Thai blackbirds. Pete :cheers:
Pete,
Are you sure they are not just small black chickens? The meat is actually black on these things---revolting!. I have seen them in Bangkok at a supermarket recently, it may have been Carrefor. First time I saw them was 20 years ago in Had Yai, my then girlfriend, later to become my wife, had one in a bowl of soup. The very first condition of our marriage was that she never ever ate another one in front of me!

Cheers.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote:Pete, Are you sure they are not just small black chickens? The meat is actually black on these things---revolting!. I have seen them in Bangkok at a supermarket recently, it may have been Carrefor. First time I saw them was 20 years ago in Had Yai, my then girlfriend, later to become my wife, had one in a bowl of soup. The very first condition of our marriage was that she never ever ate another one in front of me! Cheers.
Well, the label says 'blackbird' not black chicken so again no clue. They're about the size of a Cornish game hen, plus about 20%

I hope they're not crow if local Thai birds as that's about the only blackbirds I've seen here. You know what they say about "eating crow"! :shock: Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:
You know what they say about "eating crow"!
No..........................what do they say?

By the way, I've just mentioned the blackbirds to my wife - she pulled a contorted face and said, "Ughh, they stink."
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Pete. :cheers:

I'd never heard that term used before - must be an Americanism.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

seen them eating something in Issan that resembled a black fleshed bird

The eyes were the speciality :shock:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Jaime where are you when something needs sampling ?
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Most of the super markets carry them, they are chicken with black skin and meat. it is a normal Thai meal either barbeque (gai dum yan) or made into soup(tom gai dum). You have probaly eaten it if you have eaten Thai noodle soup.
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

Thanks for the explanation, Nomad .. :idea:
FutureResident
Banned
Banned

Post by FutureResident »

Nomad wrote:Most of the super markets carry them, they are chicken with black skin and meat. it is a normal Thai meal either barbeque (gai dum yan) or made into soup(tom gai dum). You have probaly eaten it if you have eaten Thai noodle soup.
Do you call them "chocolate chicken" and woudl that be Tom Yum chocolate? For me, I've never eaten a thing in thailand that was black.....Except for drinking a tall Irish Pint but that is really brown. (sorry to the micks on board here)