Charity at Christmas

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.

Would you consider going out of your way a little to help others this festive season?

Yes, of course
100%
Maybe, see if I have time/money
No votes
No, they're not my problem
No votes
I don't give to charities
No votes

Total votes: 5

DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Charity at Christmas

Post by DawnHRD »

No, this isn't another appeal for HHDRC (although donations are always needed! :wink: )

Christmas is coming (as mentioned on a couple of other threads) and, although it is a farang celebration, I'd urge you to find it in your hearts to help those of our hosts in this wonderful country who are disadvantaged in some way or another. I'll mention 2 charities in particular that need help (& would be grateful if members could add any others to this thread!), but you could visit your local wat or school & ask if they need anything - I'm sure your offer would be taken up immediately! :mrgreen:

Cheshire Home in Cha-am is somewhere I've just started to investigate & visited for the first time, only yesterday. It is a small home on Cha-am beach which houses Thai adults who have some form of disability whether mental or physical (Down's Syndrome, blindness, Alzheimers...) They get a small amount of funding, but are always greatful for donations of food & money for medicine & other living expenses. The residents do make handicrafts & sell them on the beach, to supplement their living income.

Mercy House in Pranburi is somewhere I've known of and supported privately for some time. It's run by 2 wonderful Thai Christians and takes in orphaned or very poor children. They are given food, board, schooling & training in something that will help them make a living when they are older. They are also always in need of money, food, clothes, toys & supplies for the children. One year I gave them bagloads of soft toys & they each made me a handmade thank-you card! :D The children also make handicrafts which they sell (you can buy them in HHDRC Charity Shop, 3rd Floor, Shopping Mall - all proceeds from their handicrafts go to them, not to us!)

I am in the process of getting the details for Cheshire Home & have the ones for Mercy House in the shop & will post both as soon as I have them.

So, please, in the midst of your eating, drinking & merry making this Christmas, think of others who really need help & give just a little...

"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!