Perpetual Lease

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Perpetual Lease

Post by Burger »

Word on the street is that the Government's Perpetual Lease is coming to Prachuap Kiri Khan.

Good news all round if/when it happens.

Burger
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

If this happens, AND THAT IS A BIG IF, can it be transferred??
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Burger,
are you referring to the scam proposed by the pseudo-gov't thailongstay program, the one set up by a toxin crony to cream off a gov't "investment"?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

There is a meeting at the Hilton on Saturday at 1pm for information on the perpetual lease.
Hi Hans Martin, hope all is good with you. Pretty sure that it will be transferable will let all know after the meeting. :cheers:
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Hi JohhnyK,

As JW said, they are coming to town Saturday where all will be explained and questions answered.

I wouldn't use the word 'scam' but what I do think is off is people who are currently holding 30 year leases with the 'option to extend' for a further 30 years, who think they actually have the option to extend for 30 years.
Legally they do not have the option, they only have it should the land owner show good will and allows them to have it.

Burger
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I have just read this,http://www.samuiforsale.com/Article_50.htm ,is this related to what we are talking about here, or is it something different?
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Would be great if some one attending could record the major points and post them here for those who can't be there. Thanks in advance.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I will be there for sure, think Burger will be also, will post the main points.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Sure we will Malcolm.

I understand one of the main advantages is that if you sell your house after 20 years, the new buyer gets a new 30 year lease and not a 10 year one. Therefore making the re-sale value of your house worth more.

Burger
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Burger and JW,
Good to have you guys on the ground while some of us deal with the northern winter!
Look f'ward to your comments on it.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Johhny & Co.,

To be honest I did not understand what they are proposing.
The main man spoke in Thai and had a translator and the solicitor spoke decent enough English but confused me.
They do seem to be government backed, 30% owned by TAT, the Minister for Tourism said they had received 'cabinet approval' etc. But at the end of the day they are a private company.

The impressoin I get is that you will be more likely to get the option to extend for 30 years with them but that it will cost a lot more for the privelege.

We all need to get the full facts from a solicitor.

Burger
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I would be wary of getting involved in this, with the political situation being in a state of uncertainty at the moment.
The people behind it are far too close to a certain gentleman who is presently either shopping in Hong Kong or playing golf in Bali and is not exactly welcome in Thailand at the moment.
kmm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kmm »

I would agree with previous posts and not expect too much from this.
It doesn't appear to offer anything new at first glance and just be a more expensive method of setting up a lease arrangement.
Does anyone else understand how the purchaser/lessee has his interest in the land protected? If the VIP company owns the land on his behalf without him having an interest in VIP it would appear to both breach Thai laws on ownership by nominee/proxy and leave the non-Thai very vunerable to dishonest disposal of the land. It seems to be more a case of "trust us" we promise we won't shaft you!
Does anyone know of any sources for more information on this proposal?
"Stay Flexible & Expect The Unexpected - This Is Thailand!"
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

As far as I am concerned this is the same old scam that was well-discussed on another Thailand board under the topic of "new way to own property".
The longstay outfit was set up under the ancien regime (well-known for its rigour and financial probity :idea: ) .
My take is that a Toxin crony formed said company and got the government to put up a wedge of taxpayer cash to "own" 30% as an investment. Nothing more than a way to get tax monies into private pockets.
Given this outfit's links to certain HongKong shoppers I wouldn't place any faith or money near it.
A lease in Thailand is for 30 years.
Nothing longer is recognized by the Land Office and any contract indicating a longer period is purely a personal contract and not binding on heirs or successors.