Medical Insurance UK or Thai

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Medical Insurance UK or Thai

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Anyone give me any advice on Holiday/Medical Insurance.

Spend about 5 Months Per Year in HH and usually get insurance via Halifax to cover general holiday stuff. I'm mainly concerned about medical bills (God Forbid I won't need it). I drive a 125 Honda when I'm in town. Just seen that alot of UK insurers, including Halifax, require UK bike licence which I don't have, but have a thai bike licence ( :roll: Strange I know)

Any idea where I can get decent cover to include this? Currently paying about 80 Quid per annum (No Winter Sports)
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Jimmy do your CBT and part two test and acquire your Uk bike license

Be assured the cover you get in the UK will be far superior to any other cover
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

dr dave soul monsta wrote:Jimmy do your CBT and part two test and acquire your Uk bike license

Be assured the cover you get in the UK will be far superior to any other cover
First I don't have a bike in England and don't really want one. Another thing is it will take me along time and quite a bit of money, (not sure if I can hire) to obtain the licence here.

What medical coverage have all the guys in HH got?

Maybe I will open a new thread to inquire.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I have zilch medical cover here and would welcome any feedback about likely local facilities
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a link for BUPA Thailand. I believe the are a UK company but also the largest personal and business medical insurer here in Thailand.

Click the 'premium' link within the page for rates. Looks reasonable. This is for accidents only. However, if you want full fledged medical coverage in Thailand with a Thai policy accepted by hospitals here, you can find the link(s) within also. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bupathailand.com/wwt_ins.asp#

PS: Sorry, I just looked at this more closely and it appears to be for people living in Thailand traveling OUT of Thailand. However, you can still explore their full coverage medical packages/rates.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Cheers Pete
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Look very carefully at what you'd be covered for, Richard. I had BUPA here for 3 years, never claiming. I looked closer one day & found, for anything likely to happen to me, I was only between 8% and 25% covered. The rest I would have to pay myself. If I had a heart attack, though, I was in luck, that was covered! :roll:

Not saying it's no good, just saying look at what you're covered for :cheers:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
pookie

Post by pookie »

Well, i'm buggered if i can see any rates anywhere :roll:
(eyes aint what they used to be, perhaps, lol!!!))

Pookie
The views expressed here are my own.......and bloody good they are too !!!! :)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Pookie, their web pages are a bit fragmented. Go to below link for rates. For description of coverage, go back to www.bupathailand.com and you'll see different colored words. Hit the ones that say 'coverage terms' or something similar. It will open in Adobe Acrobat format.

http://www.bupathailand.com/construct/wwt_win04.asp

For the initial poster. Found something called their 'Sunshine' plan for visitors to Thailand for 6 months or less, per below. This may fit his needs. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bupathailand.com/sunshine.asp
pookie

Post by pookie »

That does, indeed seem as cheap as chips :thumb:

Pookie
The views expressed here are my own.......and bloody good they are too !!!! :)
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

MEDICAL INSURANCE

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Any takers for UK insurance when riding a bike in LOS. Information I currently have from www.travelinsurance.co.uk is that they will cover you on a day to day basis. I asked for 30 days cover and got quoted 90 quid for the bike insurance only.

Also another interesting point is if you are riding a motorcycle then the person in control of the motorcycle/moped must be in possession of a full UK motorcycle driving licence for the class of bike! Scary when travelling via motor bike taxi
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Late with this observation but of importance to expats living here and raising young kids.

When I looked at the BUPA rates, the rates for children from birth to age 5 fall by almost 50% once they reach age 6.

Is this common practice with Western health insurers also? My other kids were all insured under policies provided by companies that I was working for, so I don't know what the premiums were. I've yet to insure my baby daughter here.

I wonder if this is unique to LOS and Asia due to high infant mortality rates? Pete
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

prcscct wrote:Late with this observation but of importance to expats living here and raising young kids.

When I looked at the BUPA rates, the rates for children from birth to age 5 fall by almost 50% once they reach age 6.

Is this common practice with Western health insurers also? My other kids were all insured under policies provided by companies that I was working for, so I don't know what the premiums were. I've yet to insure my baby daughter here.

I wonder if this is unique to LOS and Asia due to high infant mortality rates? Pete
Just gone through this exercise and your right Pete, it is very expensive for young ‘un’s.

My health insurers said that all kids under five tend to suffer from more accidents than 6 year olds, falls, eating things they shouldn’t etc.. Image

We also all had to have medicals, when we told the doctor the boy was also autistic, the premium for him jumped by almost 500%, but what can you do?

For myself, the quote was more than my insurer in my own country to be covered in Thailand, so I declined the health insurance on myself and will continue the one I have in England that covers me in Thailand.

The wife’s was very reasonable. Needless to say we are all covered which is probably for the best in this country, where medical treatment can be very basic in most hospitals. The list of hospitals we can use include all of the top places in Bangkok. Not cheap though.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

JD wrote:
Just gone through this exercise and your right Pete, it is very expensive

The wife’s was very reasonable. Needless to say we are all covered which is probably for the best in this country, where medical treatment can be very basic in most hospitals. The list of hospitals we can use include all of the top places in Bangkok. Not cheap though.
Who are you getting your insurance from JD?
FutureResident
Banned
Banned

BUPA the Best????

Post by FutureResident »

What are my options///// I will vist the BUPA office soon any oher providers worth a look!