BEWARE OF THE CONMEN

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
stribley
Novice
Novice

BEWARE OF THE CONMEN

Post by stribley »

BITTER HOUSE BUYING EXPERIENCE

My name is Mark Stribley from the UK, and I wish to share a bitter experience from Hua Hin in Thailand. I first visited Hua Hin in Feb 2006 and fell in love with the place. In June 06 I decided that I would like to buy a property in the area and spoke to [ personal and company names edited ].
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Mark, welcome to HHAD.

I have had to edit the personal and company names from your post as we would come under fire for allowing them to be published regardless of whether your claims were true or not.

May I suggest you invite concerned property buyers to PM or email you for specifics. Hope you understand our situation.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Mark,
I obviously echo what Lev says, but if you can tell your story without naming names it will still be useful for others to hear. I am sorry that something bad has happened to you but i hope it hasn't soured your view of Hua Hin itself, or Thailand. There are bad people in all countries of the world, and it's a terrible shame that you have apparently come into contact with one/some here.
silverbird

Re: BEWARE OF THE CONMEN

Post by silverbird »

stribley wrote:BITTER HOUSE BUYING EXPERIENCE

My name is Mark Stribley from the UK, and I wish to share a bitter experience from Hua Hin in Thailand. I first visited Hua Hin in Feb 2006 and fell in love with the place. In June 06 I decided that I would like to buy a property in the area and spoke to [ personal and company names edited ].
Sorry about your experience and regret we can not read about what happened to you. The personal names and company name you wrote have been edited which might be understandable!

I regret however this forum to me is not what is supposed to be an open forum. It appears the moderator’s main interest is to protect the sponsors which I find very damaging as it does not protect the readers interest in an equal way. There is another Thai forum which covers Hua Hin as well without having the same censorship as HuaHinAfterDark. Regret I can not write the name of it as it will be edited immediately.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: BEWARE OF THE CONMEN

Post by Lev »

silverbird wrote: I regret however this forum to me is not what is supposed to be an open forum. It appears the moderator’s main interest is to protect the sponsors which I find very damaging as it does not protect the readers interest in an equal way.
The names and companies that were edited were not sponsors and never have been so that blows your theory right out of the water.

The reasons are simple, a person may have a problem and can shout about it, however if a site as big as this one publishes names and companies in a slanderous way there could be legal implications for us, it has happened before. We are merely protecting ourselves which unfortunately must come before readers interests as we would like to stay online.

The only other forum I'm aware of is a small section on a popular visa website and pretty much unrelated to this town and its happenings hence you can write what you like, good luck.
Last edited by Lev on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Silverbird,

The mods are not protecting their sponsors. They are protecting HHAD from legal problems that may arise from printing something that they cannot verify. As I'm sure you'll understand, most people on here are genuine, but some have an axe to grind and how can the mods tell who is who? That's why the terms and conditions are there for everyone.

Both Lev & Wanderlust have shown every sympathy for the original poster & recommended that interested parties pm him for his story. If you wish to know who he's talking about, I suggest you pm him.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Sorry, Lev, we both posted at the same time :)
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

One comment for Silver bird and one for Lev please.

First, Silverbird - in the name of free speech on HHAD, you are an arse.

Second - Lev it is possible to see what the story was that was originally posted without seeing any names? or does the original post end where we now see it?
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I read it before it was edited.
He put :shock: 34000 :shock: deposit on a house that was being built, got documents through a few months later but no receipt of his 34000.
He now cannot get in touch with the company and is taking legal action.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

You paid 34000 up-front, and did not ask for a receipt?
Give me a break.
Why not?
You would ask for it in the UK, so why not here as well?
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

It is unbelievable.
Maybe he meant Baht. :wink: :laugh:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I paid 200.000 Baht up-front for my cheap house, so I expect it to be Sterling. Good old British Pounds.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

It was Sterling.
ting-tong

Post by ting-tong »

Still dont get why the whole story was edited.but maybe if we ask enough

questions the mods will tell us about it .but a little bit at the time. :?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Seems strange that if the name/address was only taken out then there would not be a story.

Can Mods confirm only name/address edited?