A Spades's a Spade!

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

DawnHHDRC wrote:TWe use brooms & those half oil-cans on sticks for the shit. :wink:

Do you really think Dr Dave would like canine excrement for his garden? :twisted: Have been looking for somewhere new to put it. Maybe I should pm him & ask? Or just dump it anyway?? :lach:
1. Yes that is it . Why waste money naking a shovel when half an oil can and a stick sill do the same job.

2. Just dump iy anyway while he is on air. I don't think he would notice but take a tip fron Big Boy make sure that, in the adbsence of coal dust in these parts that you roll it in sand first. We have got too much if that round here. Apparently the dog shit deters the cats which will make it more difficukt for him to ensnare them for the barbeque.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Guess wrote:
In the days when trains had a driver and a fireman to load coal and it was necessary to answer a call of nature you would shit on the coal shovel and then throw it in the fire as quick as possible because of smell and hygiene. As the shovel had coal dust on it, the shit did not stick. Interestingly the same shovel could be cleaned with steam and could be used to cook bacon and eggs.

Hi Guess,
I appreciate that using super-heated steam to clean the shovel after using it for you early morning ablutions would certainly answer in the way of hygiene, but surely then using the same shovel to cook breakfast is taking economy to the limit. I can see why they stuck to bacon and eggs and gave the sausages a miss, especially if you were keeping an eye on driving the train and having to trust your fireman to clean the shovel.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

STEVE G wrote: Hi Guess,
I appreciate that using super-heated steam to clean the shovel after using it for you early morning ablutions would certainly answer in the way of hygiene, but surely then using the same shovel to cook breakfast is taking economy to the limit. I can see why they stuck to bacon and eggs and gave the sausages a miss, especially if you were keeping an eye on driving the train and having to trust your fireman to clean the shovel.
They probably gave the sausages a miss in case it reminded them of the previous contents of the shovel.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have also looked high and low for a spade with no success. So, I bought a shovel and took it to a welding shop for a make over. He did a bang up job following my idea and gave me what I wanted. I was pleased and immediately put it to work. On its 4th or 5th shovel full it started to bend. Dam cheap steel that it was manufactured. I have given up on spades and now use a Thai hoe which actually works better.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Nomad wrote:I have also looked high and low for a spade with no success. So, I bought a shovel and took it to a welding shop for a make over. He did a bang up job following my idea and gave me what I wanted. I was pleased and immediately put it to work. On its 4th or 5th shovel full it started to bend. Dam cheap steel that it was manufactured. I have given up on spades and now use a Thai hoe which actually works better.
Well I did say that the shovel was made out of lighter metal. The Thai "hoes" are used because they seem to be more effective on the dense crust than the spades that you are used to. You can swing them alot more aswell.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Spotted some traditional SHOVELS in a general hardware shop yesterday.

North direction on Petchkasem, past the Shell Garage, just past the Bridgestone sign a general plumbing store