Surnames/Property Purchase

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Big Boy

Surnames/Property Purchase

Post by Big Boy »

As many of you will have read, I intend retiring to Thailand within 2 years. My current plans include eventually buying a property in my Thai wife's name. As far as I know, there should be no problem.

Yesterday, my wife was talking to another Thai friend. She told my wife that because she had changed her Surname to mine on all legal Thai documents that she should would no longer be considered Thai, and unable to purchase a house. This is because the Thai authorities would consider her as being westernised. This obviously upset my wife.

Although I dismissed it as pure heresay, with a touch of jealousy mixed in. One thing is for sure amongst the Thai community here in the UK - there are an awful lot of barrack room lawyers who make up Thai law as they go along - normally giving an answer that suits their own circumstances. I told my wife that I would ask you guys.

So......................can anybody tell me the facts please? Or at least point me in the right direction so that I can find out for myself?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

When we got married mrs buksi changed her surname to mine on her ID card and all documents.

We have recently bought a place in her name with no problem regarding the surname. The only requirement was for the foreigner to sign a bunch of papers stating that the money used to buy the place wasnt his:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3630
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Your answer has certainly put the smile back on my wife's face.

However, she is now claiming that she knew her friend was talking rubbish yesterday - Thai wives!! 99% of the time they're fantastic, but very frustrating for the other 1%.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Hi Big Boy, I think the law has changed. It used to be the case that if a Thai married a Ferang, she could no longer own property, but this was changed some years ago. I imagine your wife’s friends have dated information. I am presently working for a couple of months in Luxembourg, and I meet Thais here who have lived for many years in Europe, and who have little knowledge of how things have changed back home.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Agree with the above regarding property and also laws regarding the nationality of children born between Non-Thai fathers and Thai mothers.
They both changed some time ago.
NikkiSixx

Post by NikkiSixx »

[quote="lomuamart"]Agree with the above regarding property and also laws regarding the nationality of children born between Non-Thai fathers and Thai mothers.
They both changed some time ago.[/qu

Hmmmmm, very interesting. Would you mind telling me what the deal is regarding nationality of mixed parentage? :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

NikkiSixx wrote:
lomuamart wrote:Agree with the above regarding property and also laws regarding the nationality of children born between Non-Thai fathers and Thai mothers.
They both changed some time ago.[/qu

Hmmmmm, very interesting. Would you mind telling me what the deal is regarding nationality of mixed parentage? :cheers:
I don't have kids, but I'm sure there are many who can put you straight on the subject.
It was my understanding, about 10 years or so ago, that the child of a Non-Thai father and Thai mother, could not get Thai nationality. It was OK the other way around, so nationality was based on the father's lineage. Not so now.
I'm not sure how this may affect children born abroad.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Mrs. T is Thai.

Both of our boys were born in Bangkok and are Thai Citizens holding Thai Passports.

Names on documents matter little - except for land or house title deeds where the 'foreign spouse' has to declare that he / she has no financial claim or ownership of the said land or property.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you to everybody who has responded - it has certainlyput my wifes mind at ease.

Points 48; Position 20
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Big Boy - I can concur with the above posts having look kreung with Thai passports and property in my wife's name.

The moral of the story is - never ask a Thai anything about Thai legal matters unless they are a lawyer. As you say, the proles make it up as they go along and are as uninformed in Thailand as they are here in the UK. In fact, the same goes for almost anything: directions, how to do or get something done etc. etc. etc.

My advice is - Ask the Expats!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Children born of a Thai mother and a non Thai father are eligible for Thai passports and I.D. Along with those items also come the problem of military service if your child is male. At 20 years of age, they are supposed to make the choice.