Fitbit or similar worn health smart devices

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Fitbit or similar worn health smart devices

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'm 67 and just starting to consider looking after myself a bit: doing moderate exercise, watching weight, I monitor blood pressure but all OK, not much else (sausage roll and espresso for breakfast will not be cancelled).

Does anyone use a Fitbit or other wrist device to monitor body health? Are they particularly helpful? I would not bother with the subscription service Fitbit offer.

Also I saw some expensive Withings smart scales which give a lot of information about body composition, cardiovascular health, etc., but the better model isn't available in Thailand.

Who here uses technology to help monitor their health?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Fitbit or similar worn smart devices

Post by VincentD »

I've been using the Amazfit BIP (original, they're now up to version 3) and for what I paid for it, I'm pretty happy. It's a cheap and cheerful one, but does have built-in GPS and a heart rate monitor with alarm settings. It will also display messages when linked with your phone and has a 3 week battery life between charges with moderate use.
All smart watches typically come with a companion phone app. This one is stand alone, not particularly invasive, and does not need a subscription.
My sons have the Samsung smart watch and the Garmin, but they don't do very much more for eight times the price.
If you just want to monitor your health, get the Amazfit BIP 3 Pro, it has the GPS and also includes an oxygen level sensor. Do note that this is not a medical grade device, but neither are any of the smart watches either.
It's a decent size for my wrist, but you may need to shop around if you need something larger or classier. YMMV.
วินเชนท์
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Fitbit or similar worn smart devices

Post by hhinner »

VincentD wrote:I've been using the Amazfit BIP (original, they're now up to version 3) and for what I paid for it, I'm pretty happy. It's a cheap and cheerful one, but does have built-in GPS and a heart rate monitor with alarm settings. It will also display messages when linked with your phone and has a 3 week battery life between charges with moderate use.
All smart watches typically come with a companion phone app. This one is stand alone, not particularly invasive, and does not need a subscription.
My sons have the Samsung smart watch and the Garmin, but they don't do very much more for eight times the price.
If you just want to monitor your health, get the Amazfit BIP 3 Pro, it has the GPS and also includes an oxygen level sensor. Do note that this is not a medical grade device, but neither are any of the smart watches either.
It's a decent size for my wrist, but you may need to shop around if you need something larger or classier. YMMV.
I have the Amazfit GTS (original version), which is similar to BIP. Originally the battery lasted for over 2 weeks, but after nearly 4 years it's down to 6 or 7 days between charges.

It doesn't have it's own smart OS (like Android or iOS, hence good battery time) and connects with phone via Bluetooth. I use it mostly for tracking pulse and cycling for which statistics are sent to a phone app.

Also provides notifications from phone, eg vibrates when there's an incoming call and phone is in DND mode.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Fitbit or similar worn health smart devices

Post by hhinner »

^^ Forgot - tells the time as well.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thanks guys, I've ordered the Amazfit Active in black. Not the cheapest but has good range of functions and it's not as bulky as some of their range! :thumb:
Last edited by 404cameljockey on Tue May 07, 2024 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The original BIP has good battery life because the display is liquid paper. The GTS came later, but since the BIP is still chugging along I have no need for another.
Re the 'smart' scales. As long as your weight doesn't fluctuate too much, don't bother. I have one of those inn the house and it confuses the h*!! out of everyone because you don't know whose profile or is, whether it is reading weight, or BMI something else again.
The is a fine line between useful technology and hype.
วินเชนท์
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Sadly there's only me in my house as of last year. The function I like is the cardiovascular check, arterial monitoring, even can different between say a problem with right arm/leg over left, but I won't pay to have it imported!