Domestic Air Purifiers

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Re: Domestic Air Purifiers

Post by fft100 »

For many years we have used PM2.5 filter material (normally 3M filtrate) on top of the Aircon filters. Replace every month or so depending on how dirty.

At this time of the year we have the Aircon on more often during the day due to the heat as well as overnight. Lounge and bedrooms. It gets the AQI into the green zone and 2.5 below the WHO standards - not the Thai standards - pollution is different here :-)

I have a UK bought professional AQI / 2.5 / other things handheld monitor, so I can check easily inside or outside

BTW, We did get a Xiaomi air purifier free from boontavorn a few years ago but I don't use it unless things get really bad (the 4 different filters in it cost a fair bit to replace last time I checked ).
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

fft100 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:00 pm I have a UK bought professional AQI / 2.5 / other things handheld monitor, so I can check easily inside or outside
AQI monitors on Lazada/Shopee are mostly well under 1000 Baht, others range from 3500-6000. I guess you get what you pay for.

PS - I'd rather not know about air pollution outside my house, I can't do anything about it and won't wear a mask. :D
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

404, I only measure the outside aqi to see if it is a good idea to throw open the doors and windows ! At this time of the year the PM levels are worse early morning due, I think, to the lack of wind at that time. Recently we have had 3-4 hours of very still air between 6-9;and PM levels have doubled.

In BKK today and bizarrely there are adverts for a body lotion that is supposed to block 99.99% PM 2.5 due to the products anti bacteria properties. Obviously missing the point that 2.5 is so small it can go through the lungs, blood, everywhere as the human body cannot filter it. And I don't believe that putting a small amount of body creme on will change that ! It ranks up there with the underarm deodorant whose big selling point was that it made you white !