Long weekend escape Thailand getaway ideas

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Re: Long weekend escape Thailand getaway ideas

Post by buksida »

Nereus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:03 pm What about Palau? Visa on arrival, direct flight from Singapore.
Some good diving sites around the island.
No direct from BKK, flights way too expensive and too much hassle for a short break. Looks good for a longer trip though.

Also looked and the Andaman Islands, but you have to fly to India first and then back, again not practical for a short getaway.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Visa-free travel is for Thais, not gweilos! They're much stricter with US and UK passport holders.
But aren't you included in that group that gets 144 hours visa-free in certain cities (mentioned in the story).
buksida

Post by buksida »

Everything I've read (including the UK govt website) tells me I can't go to China without a visa on a UK passport.

https://www.ivisa.com/china/blog/china- ... rt-holders
https://visalist.io/china/visa-requirem ... ed-kingdom
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/travel/desti ... -explained

Though that last one says I might be able to visit Shanghai ... but there are also route restrictions on that transit visa, you need to fly to a third country, not the one you came from.

https://focus.cbbc.org/how-to-visit-chi ... visa-free/

Its all too much of a ballache for a quick getaway and China will have to wait until they become more visa-friendly (if that ever happens).

Edit: think I'd rather risk the rain in Macau!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You could try northern, rural Laos. Luang Prabang area specifically. A plus is that most locals understand at least some Thai.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

You might consider Langkawi Island, fairly easy access from Thailand, different from Phuket. Never been, though someone I know went years ago. Only went to Tioman for fishing, but that was a lifetime ago..
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

Possibly, did Luang Prabang in 2019 so would have to go north off the beaten trail. South is also an option but Pakse is not easy or cheap to get to as it involves two flights.

Edit: went to Langkawi in 2014 and enjoyed it there, so also a possibility.

Enjoying the research so far ... even though the criteria are restrictive.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's always Burma if you want to dabble in conflict journalism. :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been to Langkawi a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed the visits. The first time I went, my mother was in her late 80's and fully enjoyed the 10 day visit.
Plenty to do and being a 'duty free' island, prices are somewhat cheaper than on the mainland.

A decent video of the place.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:29 pm Possibly, did Luang Prabang in 2019 so would have to go north off the beaten trail. South is also an option but Pakse is not easy or cheap to get to as it involves two flights.

Edit: went to Langkawi in 2014 and enjoyed it there, so also a possibility.

Enjoying the research so far ... even though the criteria are restrictive.
Perhaps make Laos a road trip. I pretty sure Thais can get a permit to bring their vehicles in for xx time?
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

South Korea is a very interesting country to visit. I was there last March and the weather was perfect. Lots to see and do around Seoul and even more if you travel further South. Good and interesting food, good hotels for a reasonable price. Ultra modern country that still has street markets, etc. Visa's can be obtained free, on-line, with no embassy visit.
buksida

Post by buksida »

We were in South Korea a couple of months ago: viewtopic.php?t=41775

It is actually becoming quite a challenge to find somewhere we haven't already been (which is about 80% of the suggestions so far!).
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

You can always go back to places you've been and liked many years ago and see if it has changed or not
buksida

Post by buksida »

↑ Most places don't change for the better over time IMO and just become more built up, more traffic-clogged, and more expensive! Penang is a good example from my visits there.

Found a great potential motorcycle loop in Vietnam from Nha Trang to Dalat to Mui Ne and back to NT. Air Asia flies direct to NT for very little but May/June is rainy season so that one will have to go on the back burner also!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:43 pm Most places don't change for the better over time IMO and just become more built up, more traffic-clogged, and more expensive!
Ironically, maybe that is because everytime anyone finds anywhere nice, they splash it all over the Internet!
buksida

Post by buksida »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:39 pm Ironically, maybe that is because everytime anyone finds anywhere nice, they splash it all over the Internet!
Noticed this in Thailand a lot, these 'unseen' pristine natural spots get visited by some 'dara' who puts it on social media which opens the doors to the hordes of socialites and hi-sos ... who proceed to ruin the place with their SUVs, iPhones, and yappy foo-foo dogs!

Macau is leading the weekend getaway race at the moment ... wine being a fraction the price of in Thailand is a big pull to counter the potential rain!