Traffic jams on Rama II Road blamed for Hua Hin's decline

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Traffic jams on Rama II Road blamed for Hua Hin's decline

Post by PeteC »

This really isn't a surprise, is it? It's only been going on for about 10 years so how do they really measure it, and what was the starting point? :banghead:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ns-decline

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has ordered the Transport Ministry to expedite the construction along Rama II Road, after a popular online survey found congestion along the road is putting tourists off the resort town of Hua Hin........
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Traffic jams on Rama II Road blamed for Hua Hin's decline

Post by PeteC »

I forgot to mention. It's not only the traffic jams, but people are scared to drive the route under or near the elevated construction. Several people killed or injured and a lot of vehicle damage from falling debris, and debris sitting in the driving lanes. It has not been a safe or well organized project.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I have a theory about the elevated construction. 3 times in recent months I've travelled home late from Bangkok. On each occasion the main carriageway was closed, and all traffic was diverted from Bangkok until almost Samut Songkhram. Delays were horrendous despite it being so late.

My theory is they are now doing the dangerous overhead work overnight, but keeping traffic off the main carriageways.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:03 am I forgot to mention. It's not only the traffic jams, but people are scared to drive the route under or near the elevated construction. Several people killed or injured and a lot of vehicle damage from falling debris, and debris sitting in the driving lanes. It has not been a safe or well organized project.
There's one spot on the drive back to HH where the road last year was diverted so all three lanes jump sharply left over the space of about 10 metres. No road sign and very poor road marking. I'm usually in the middle lane there, and two or three times last year the car in front of me ignorantly just drove straight forward, ending up in the right hand lane, potentially causing a very serious accident. Traffic is moving at considerable speed there.

Add in the lakes of water in the right hand lanes during the heavy rains last year, ridiculously variable lane widths and road surfaces, and other hazards and I agree that it's being terribly handled. But if it's keeping the Bangkokians away then I'm all for it!
buksida

Post by buksida »

They've been dicking around with this stretch of road for the past 30 years. Meanwhile, China, Korea, or Japan, would have built a bridge cutting that corner entirely in a couple of years.

Thailand 4.0.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:10 am They've been dicking around with this stretch of road for the past 30 years. Meanwhile, China, Korea, or Japan, would have built a bridge cutting that corner entirely in a couple of years.

Thailand 4.0.
It's a competition between the higher-ups to see for how many years they can squeeze gold watches out of it. It seems to be the proverbial Rolex egg.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

If I now take more than 3.5 hours in either direction, I regard that as bad. So for me, the road is better now. The sticking point in either direction is the turning to highway 9, once past that, it's okay and coming out of Bkk, there are now 4 lanes open for a good while, which helps disperse traffic. If I turn off for the scenic route past Samut Songkhram, then that obviously is a more relaxed drive and slower.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

caller wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:56 pm ....... If I turn off for the scenic route past Samut Songkhram, then that obviously is a more relaxed drive and slower.
Can you put up a link for a map of that route? :thumb: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:56 pm If I now take more than 3.5 hours in either direction, I regard that as bad. So for me, the road is better now. The sticking point in either direction is the turning to highway 9, once past that, it's okay and coming out of Bkk, there are now 4 lanes open for a good while, which helps disperse traffic. If I turn off for the scenic route past Samut Songkhram, then that obviously is a more relaxed drive and slower.
Have you done the journey after around 9pm recently? If my theory is right, that is when the main carriageways are closed, and it becomes Hell, from Bangkok until just before Samut Songkhram.

I've departed central Bangkok at around 9pm, and my satnav shows under 3 hours travel, but the carriageway gets closed down before I get too far, and a couple of hours are added to the journey time.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:08 pm Have you done the journey after around 9pm recently? If my theory is right, that is when the main carriageways are closed, and it becomes Hell, from Bangkok until just before Samut Songkhram.

I've departed central Bangkok at around 9pm, and my satnav shows under 3 hours travel, but the carriageway gets closed down before I get too far, and a couple of hours are added to the journey time.
I have never done the journey at night BB. Last time I left for Bkk it was about 11.00 and Monday week ago, for the return journey, I hit the road at 11.55. But Pam travelled down last Friday, leaving after work, a little early, so before 17.00 and she arrived at 20.30, which I thought really good for a rush hour public holiday weekend. So you could well be right.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that road becomes Hell once they close the main carriageways. I'm just trying to determine if I was unlucky 3 times, or whether it is a nightly occurrence.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:02 pm
caller wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:56 pm ....... If I turn off for the scenic route past Samut Songkhram, then that obviously is a more relaxed drive and slower.
Can you put up a link for a map of that route? :thumb: :cheers:
I think it's known to most, but this should work, from Highway 35 by the PTT garage where the turn off is. It's a few KM's once over the bridge at Samut Songkhran and signposted along the road, but you need to look out for the quite small signs.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kRwNYwonaY2hjqTg7

Edit - just noticed it's jumped back to an earlier PTT garage than the one where the turn off is, but it still shows the route.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Thanks for that. :thumb: I've never tried it but it's always nice to have an alternative route where one can drive relaxed a bit.

How much time does it add to the journey on the southbound trip? :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:38 am ^ Thanks for that. :thumb: I've never tried it but it's always nice to have an alternative route where one can drive relaxed a bit.

How much time does it add to the journey on the southbound trip? :cheers:
Depends on how often you stop! If not at all, maybe about an extra 45 minutes? I have never timed it. Initially the road is very windy and you travel through lots of fish farms, you pass some interesting villages / small towns, especially when the views across bridges are out to sea. Eventually you hit the salt farms which you will pass for mile after mile, after mile, before hitting the final stretch into Cha am and as mentioned before, there are some interesting temples, one in the shape of a boat.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pete, I covered a lot of the route in this report viewtopic.php?t=41648

Points 48; Position 20