Thai Driver Reaction to Blues & Twos

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Thai Driver Reaction to Blues & Twos

Post by Big Boy »

I won't go into the gory details, but I had the misfortune to be rushed to HHH by ambulance this morning. Home again now, so it was nothing to worry about.

We went all of the way with blues and twos at full pelt. EVERY VEHICLE in our way got out of the way, so much so that I thought it was worth a mention.

I thought I was the only person in Thailand to let ambulances through, but this morning showed an amazing change of attitude amongst the driving public in Thailand. Well done Thailand's drivers, and thank you if you were one of the drivers that let us through.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai Driver Reaction to Blues & Twos

Post by 404cameljockey »

Very glad you're well. Even driving in to Bangkok I am surprised at the effort usually made in heavy traffic to move out of the way of ambulance lights. They do tend to be a bit late in noticing it behind them though, I guess the rear view mirror checking isn't frequent enough. Dubai was far, far worse.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It used to be a non-existent courtesy here years ago. It was nice to witness it working first hand today.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:14 pm It used to be a non-existent courtesy here years ago. It was nice to witness it working first hand today.
Yes this has always shocked me to the utmost.
Glad to read there's an improvement in attitudes.
Hope everything is fine for you.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I have to ask..... the exact British meaning of "Blues & Twos". Of course based upon context I know already, but how in the world did that term come into use?

Terms I'm familiar with here and abroad: EMS, Ambulance, Rescue.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Blue flashing lights and 2 tone horns.

Last time I was ill in an ambulance, it was ringing bells.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Ambulances have dashcams and those drivers that don't at least make an effort to get out of the way tend to find their vehicles featuring in Facebook videos and the tv news. Much more effective than a police report, it seems.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

One thing I should have mentioned was when we got to the crazy Soi 70 railway crossing, the ambulance went the wrong way around the roundabout. I think that says an awful lot about the design of the road system.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:48 pm One thing I should have mentioned was when we got to the crazy Soi 70 railway crossing, the ambulance went the wrong way around the roundabout. I think that says an awful lot about the design of the road system.
I often see emergency vehicles in Europe do that, or go considerable distances in the wrong lane. Luxembourg might be a small city but it has a large commuting population and it gets grid locked at times.
I suppose that one difference is that all ambulances here are government vehicles whereas in Thailand, they're often owned by hospitals or rescue charities.