Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Post by STEVE G »

I'm just back in town and whilst stocking up on essentials in Market Village, I noticed that the shop in the basement near the entrance that was a cycle shop is now selling camping gear.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, been in there, looking at prices it appears to be aimed at Bangkok hi-sos without a budget. Most of our camping gear came off Lazada where there are some very good deals.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:50 pm Yep, been in there, looking at prices it appears to be aimed at Bangkok hi-sos without a budget. Most of our camping gear came off Lazada where there are some very good deals.
I was the same in Europe, I had a look in a local camping shop and then ordered everything from Amazon!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:That Tentbox option looks appealing although it only provides somewhere to sleep, whereas a Campervan will provide a hob, a fridge, sink and sometimes more so not quite comparing apples with apples, but I can understand their attraction.

I’ve mentioned in the past that I had two VW Campervans in the late 80’s early 90’s and had some truly wonderful experiences with them, travelling over to France as well as holidays in the UK - weekend breaks as well as longer stays.

What I haven’t mentioned before is that with the campervan, I also managed to tow a “folding caravan”, made by Rapido. This literally folded down to something like a quarter size of the erected caravan. How the VW managed to cope with towing this as well as five of us (2 adults and 3 kids) I have no idea, but we did it. I’ve attached a photo of a similar type van, but something like this is easy to tow and doesn’t take up too much room!!
Having recently moved we’re in the process of getting rid of anything we don’t need, but during the process I came across a number of photos including this one - taken in the early 90’s and featuring my 1971 VW Camper and the (fully erected) Rapido folding caravan.
764442acf5c7c22ea81d4dc488553f8c.jpg
764442acf5c7c22ea81d4dc488553f8c.jpg (133.36 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

On a camping trip at the moment in north Thailand to enjoy the cooler climes before hot season kicks in. The number of new camping spots that have sprung up is impressive, they range from mountain tops with no power or food to riverside campsites with electric, wifi, and on-site restaurants. Prices are per head and its been between 100-200 baht depending on how popular the place is. They're rammed at the weekends but during the week you're the only one there. Camping is becoming very popular in Thailand.

photo_2024-01-24_16-53-57.jpg
(213.99 KiB) Downloaded 2252 times
photo_2024-01-24_17-19-26.jpg
(163.99 KiB) Downloaded 2252 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

A few pleasures and pitfalls of camping in Thailand ...

After three nights in a tent, my back is starting to feel it and I need a massage. Guess I'm not as young as I think any longer.
Some campsites can be noisy but it is natural noise such as a rushing stream, stiff breeze on a hillside, or nocturnal wildlife which takes a night or two to get used to when sleeping.
Some rural campsites are within earshot of Thailand's rooster plague - there is literally no escaping them and this sound isn't so nice on the ears all day long.
The evenings and mornings are pleasantly cool (its 16 degrees now as I type this) and you need to wear more clothing.
The days can be hot so you need to find a shady spot for the tent, or at least somewhere out of the sun to set up your chairs and tables (river valleys are good, mountain sides, not so).
You get to eat, sleep, and relax with some spectacular views so a good escape from TV and phone (though the mrs disagrees with the phone bit).
You'll have the entire place to yourselves if you go during the week, the downside is there may not be food or power on-site if they have no campers on weekdays.
Weekends are a nightmare so avoid them at all costs as its when the Thai nouveau riche descend with their SUVs, fancy gear, trophy girlfriends, and yappy foo-foo dogs.
You need to bring pretty much everything with you (bedding, cooking stove, fuel, powerbanks, lighting, water, food, and of course wine).
Facilities are variable, some have spotlessly clean toilets, others are feral, and online reviews are a good place to find out.
It is very cheap to camp around Thailand with prices being as low as 100 baht a night.
Many campsites also have rooms to rent for those who don't want the work of self-tenting, though setup and breaking of camp only takes about 20 minutes.

photo_2024-01-28_15-51-46.jpg
(308.26 KiB) Downloaded 2017 times
photo_2024-01-29_15-06-30.jpg
(353.44 KiB) Downloaded 2017 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Are mosquitoes a problem anywhere?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Certain places are worse than others, but generally, we've found that they're not as bad as in the towns! A mozzie coil does the trick when there are a few about.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Do they provide the tents?

Which campsite are you at?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, many of them have tents provided that you can rent. Currently here but about to decamp and head to the next spot: https://maps.app.goo.gl/hHvZ1QgFS5wxsgNf8
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:35 am Yes, many of them have tents provided that you can rent. Currently here but about to decamp and head to the next spot: https://maps.app.goo.gl/hHvZ1QgFS5wxsgNf8
Looks nice. I still have a tent and sleeping bags.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

After three nights in a tent, my back is starting to feel it and I need a massage. Guess I'm not as young as I think any longer....
About twenty years ago I spent a month on a camping holiday in a small tent and that was my biggest problem as well.
After a bit of experimenting, I found a cheap beach air bed, not quite fully inflated, placed under a foam camping mat worked pretty well. The air would move about under the mat to give support, it just takes a bit of practice to get the right pressure.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, will definitely invest in one of those. The mrs can sleep standing up and she doesn't have the same issues despite us being the same age! Decided on a bit of luxury for the last two days of the trip and hoteling it after being woken at 5am this morning by a gaggle of roosters!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:37 pm after being woken at 5am this morning by a gaggle of roosters!
I would think that would make you feel at home!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Don't have this view at home so I forgave the noisy feckers today.

photo_2024-02-01_08-35-32.jpg
(149.56 KiB) Downloaded 1623 times
photo_2024-02-01_08-35-28.jpg
(142.05 KiB) Downloaded 1623 times