Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Post by hhinner »

^^ Sorry, should've written "foreigners".
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

They are expensive in the US but still less than Thailand

http://rvshare.com/rv-rental?location=L ... e&sleeps=2
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:45 pm
buksida wrote:
pharvey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:01 pm Are Camper Vans/Campers available for hire in Thailand - would it be safe to? If so, would they just be aimed at the Hi-So's at extortionate prices?
As with many things in Thailand, utterly ridiculous pricing. Way more expensive in this country (which is not geared up for it yet and has diabolical driving standards) than in Japan. And a bunch of stupid laws barring foreigners from driving them.

Camper vanning in Thailand is a novelty for the rich ... unless you want to go 'old school' with tents and backwater campsites as we do.
There are laws prohibiting farangs driving camper vans?
Something to do with how the vehicle is registered, more so for conversions I guess, and now this latest crackdown on farangs "driving passengers" ... https://www.findourway4x4.com/post/newl ... thourbuild

Either way, motorhoming in Thailand is not really viable unless you have very deep pockets!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow! I'll bet my friend isn't aware. He'd previously converted his pick-up truck as well.

I guess the key bit is, very few police know the law either.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

They certainly don’t make it easy, but having said that, I would assume that something like an imported VW Camper Van that was properly registered when it arrived would be fine as it’s well under the 3.5t limit, but then again, due to its rarity it will presumably command a hefty price!!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote: ...<snip>...

Something to do with how the vehicle is registered, more so for conversions I guess, and now this latest crackdown on farangs "driving passengers" ... https://www.findourway4x4.com/post/newl ... thourbuild

Either way, motorhoming in Thailand is not really viable unless you have very deep pockets!
The "farangs driving passengers" thing is baseless imho, as long as it's not as a business and without a work permit.

The problems with reregistration of repurposed vehicles applies to Thais as well as foreigners.

That just leaves the driving licence restriction being limited to a class P1 (บ1). This allows the holder to drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes laden weight. Pretty much the same as in UK and Europe these days. But in UK and Europe anyone can train up and apply for a licence for a heavier vehicle, but most don't (and foreigners in Thailand cannot) and I think most camper vans for hire stay within the 3.5t limit.

Deep pockets definitely required and not for your average Thai couple in their less than comfortable retirement.

I wonder if weight limits will eventually increase to cater for BEVs.
buksida

Post by buksida »

EV discussion moved to the EV thread, this one is about camping in Thailand.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

To be honest, if you're using a pickup, I reckon you could carry enough stuff to make a tented camp pretty comfortable.
You could have a double burner stove, camp beds a portable toilet and a big enough tent to have standing room.
I suppose the main disadvantage is the time to set everything up if you're only staying for a night or two.
buksida

Post by buksida »

That's pretty much how we roll; everything fits in the back of the truck. Total setup time is about half an hour, so doable even for an overnighter. The main advantage of a van would be that you could also camp/travel in the hot season and wet season which isn't so pleasant when in a tent!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^Yes, many years ago I spent some time camping in Ibiza and it was hard to stay in the tent after about 07:30 because it was so hot. If I'd had a late night, I used to have to go and sleep under a tree for a couple more hours.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 am They certainly don’t make it easy, but having said that, I would assume that something like an imported VW Camper Van that was properly registered when it arrived would be fine as it’s well under the 3.5t limit, but then again, due to its rarity it will presumably command a hefty price!!
Many years ago I looked into taking my Mk.1 Zephyr Convertible into Thailand. I was told that as there had never been one in Thailand previously that it could not be registered! How that works I have no idea, because it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation. (brown envelopes I guess)

The other thing that came up at the time was the corrupt customs department. Firstly, they place a value on imports, taking no notice whatsoever of any other valuation. Then, if somebody, either in the dept., or one of his friends, take a fancy to a particular car, then the import duty will just keep going up until the owner throws up his hands and says; keep the *****ing thing!

I did import my Range Rover, also many years ago. But it was called a "Land Rover", and I was able to register it as there were already Land Rovers registered.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Maybe someone should rename the country - from Land of Smiles, to Land of Brown Envelopes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I put this here as general interest. Camping is big business in Australia, from simple one man tents, up to multiple berth trailers and caravans. Hundreds of places for overnight use, some of them provided free by local town councils to encourage tourist dollars.
https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/ ... -category/
...........................................................................................................................
Trailers appear to be a grey area in Thailand. At one time there was a place selling trailers in Hua Hin, since closed I believe. I met the owner at a car show once, and he said that they were authorised to sell and have trailers registered. I thought that he was building them in Thailand, but he told me they were all imported. Maybe that is why he has closed down!

Providing that you have somewhere to park a trailer, whats to stop you building a fold down tent type of camper on a trailer?
They are light and easy to tow, everything left in place before and after use, built in water tank, even a chemical toilet if you need one. Solar panels and a battery for lighting, endless types of layout to suit what you want.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!