2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: 2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Post by PeteC »

How do these teams and drivers travel when bouncing around the world every few weeks? I know the cars and kit go by DHL, or at least used to. I never read about team private planes for the drivers and management, commercial for everyone else?

They probably keep all the details private for security concerns, and to avoid social media uproar from people who are critical about anything and everything.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bahrain takes full control of supercar brand McLaren

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68639320
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:05 pm How do these teams and drivers travel when bouncing around the world every few weeks? I know the cars and kit go by DHL, or at least used to. I never read about team private planes for the drivers and management, commercial for everyone else?

They probably keep all the details private for security concerns, and to avoid social media uproar from people who are critical about anything and everything.
Some more on this:

https://www.planetf1.com/features/f1-pr ... verstappen

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-for ... on-2023-11
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well that was fast! Verstappen out after 1 lap due to fire/brakes...not sure exact cause yet. There goes most everyone's podium picks for the week. :roll:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hamilton out as well with a bad engine. :shock:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

:cheers: let the young ones have a chance to show what they are capable of 😉
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

An emotional race and good to see Sainz win. The only driver ever to win his first race after coming back from a serious medical issue. You could tell he was hurting as it took quite a while for him to get out of the car and when he did so, it was a few inches at a time until feet on the ground.

Very bad luck for Russell to hit a wall on the last lap. Could have been bad as his car is in bits but he seems ok, although he went away in the medical car.

An enjoyable race, at least or me. :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Stewards are reviewing Russell's wall crash. Something about Alonso in front of him hitting his brakes?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We haven't posted the below link in quite a while. It's a one stop shop for all F1 news and analysis. It also converts upcoming races to your local time zone. Look for the listing at the bottom. :cheers:

https://www.formula1.com/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Fernando Alonso given penalty for incident that led to Russell crash

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68649182
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

‘Nothing against Fernando Alonso – but it can’t be the goal of F1 to get older and older’
Six-time F1 Grand Prix winner Ralf Schumacher wants to see young and talented drivers get more opportunities in Formula 1, saying with all due respect to Fernando Alonso, the series cannot look for an “older and older” grid.
He should take Hamilton by the hand and retire together at the Costa del Sol! :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:47 pm We haven't posted the below link in quite a while.
Well we don't want to give too much away Pete now do we! :wink:
PeteC wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:36 pm An enjoyable race, at least or me. :cheers:
Yep, especially the first lap!! :D :dance: :naughty: I've just caught the highlights and it was a decent race - great result for Ferrari and McLaren 1/2 and 3/4 respectively - there must be questions being raised over Sainz being pushed out. Pretty dire weekend for Mercedes with zero points - Alonso's penalty hardly helps Russell or Mercedes. LH & the team just don't seem to be getting things right at all with the setup - a bit better with regards to Russell, but still way off the pace.
joelle wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:52 am :cheers: let the young ones have a chance to show what they are capable of 😉
Well yes, but I think they need to be given chances to bring them in gradually with more experience/opportunities. As the current law/ruling stands, it is mandatory to use a rookie or multiple rookie drivers on at least two occasions during first "Free Practice" session during the season. To me, this should be expanded to multiple qualifying sessions and even a Full Race or two - personally I think it would benefit both the sport and up and coming drivers. Just look at Ollie Bearman covering for Sainz in the Ferrari :thumb:
Nereus wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:35 pm
‘Nothing against Fernando Alonso – but it can’t be the goal of F1 to get older and older’
He should take Hamilton by the hand and retire together at the Costa del Sol! :thumb:
Perhaps, but personally I think Aston Martin would disagree with regards to Alonso and he still has a hell of a lot to offer. As for LH, I'm interested to see how his swansong goes at the Scuderia.... :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Sainz could end up at Mercedes. Stranger things have happened.

Hamilton could also simply retire and Sainz stay where he is. Louis has his fingers in a lot of other things, especially social causes. It wouldn't surprise me if he decides to do something else.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:14 am Sainz could end up at Mercedes. Stranger things have happened.
Mercedes would no doubt love to have him (but perhaps not admit it)!! As a supporter of the "Silver Arrows", I certainly wouldn't complain!! :thumb:

I don't think Merc will go for a novice to replace LH, but then again they are way off the pace and may struggle to attract an experienced (class driver), Alonso perhaps for a season as he's on a swansong and would love to prove he's better than LH in the same car?! :laugh: Sainz is certainly looking for a seat and several teams would want him IMHO - I guess it all goes to who's out of contract, clauses within those contracts and financial issues etc. (Spending Caps) and hell, who wants to join Mercedes at this point in time?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Another issue is Leclerc. He never seems to be "hungry" to me, too laid back. Again, not a surprise to me if we see some changes with him in the next two seasons.