Best Bank in Hua Hin for joint accounts?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Best Bank in Hua Hin for joint accounts?

Post by LolaBeltran »

Ran into a problem yesterday with SCB which suddenly, after many years without a hitch, decided that a joint account can not use online banking either mobile or on PC.

While I totally understand why this change was made, I have now lost practical access to my account as the joint feature is, for us, not something that I want changed.

I have a Kasikorn account ( they are terrific) but I am wary of putting everything in the hands of a single bank so its goodbye SCB. Now I need to transfer funds to another bank and am open to recommendations. Does any bank allow full individual access to a joint account? Or is this a thing of the past now?

Interestingly . ..yesterday I needed to transfer a goodly sum from SCB to my Kasikorn account. . .I ended up with a very old fashioned solution. Withdraw cash, walk from one bank to the other and deposit cash! We were very amused by this as it was the easiest solution.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Best Bank in Hua Hin?

Post by hhinner »

It's been unavailable with krungsri (ayuthaya) for many years. A real pain sometimes.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Best Bank in Hua Hin for joint accounts?

Post by Scout »

My wife and I have a joint account at Bangkok Bank, we’ve never had an issue with them restricting online access on the joint account. I also have a personal account (without wife having access), a Bangkok Bank savings account that I’ve used for years to transfer funds into Thailand so I can accumulate the Credit Advice Receipts required by Immigration for annual renewal of Non-OA visa. Online access to this personal account worked flawlessly for years with this account. This last January, as I approached my formal Social Security Pension retirement date, I submitted the formal paperwork to have the US government directly deposit my pension into my Bangkok Bank savings account. As part of this process I had to have Bangkok Bank fill out and sign the application paperwork for the US government to begin direct deposits to my Bangkok Bank personal savings account. A month later, after my online access to this account stopped working, I learned that as part of the process, Bangkok Bank configured this account to be a “Deposit Account”, meaning I could no longer do online transfers out of this account into our Bangkok Bank joint account, I could only transfer money from the personal account by having the Teller inside the bank process the transfer. To add even more inconvenience to this situation, the US Government lost my paperwork to begin direct deposits to my Bangkok Bank personal account, because of a fire at the post office in Manila. I have yet to resubmit the paperwork, so am stuck with the old process of initiating the monthly bank wires manually, then visiting the Teller to access my funds after the bank wire arrives in Thailand. Sometimes it seems the system goes out of its way to thwart my best intentions…
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Thanks Scout for the very informative post! I did not even know that SSA would do a foreign deposit . . .though the paperwork chaos you detail puts me off from even trying! My SS check goes to my US bank and I rely on a dear cousin to send me what I need a couple times a year. That part of the "system" works well. But having just wired money into SCB from my US bank . . .I am only able to access my SCB account by going to a live teller. I cant even get my balance in the account fram an ATM as I am in password limbo at the moment and need a new ATM card. This is awkward but doable given that the mall branches are handy.
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

Why would anyone need a joint account? The Bangkok Bank app for example has free transfers among all Thai banks.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Bubba1 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:25 pm Why would anyone need a joint account? The Bangkok Bank app for example has free transfers among all Thai banks.
I’m sure there are a number of reasons for having a joint account but I think a good reason is the financial security that comes with either spouse being able to access funds if the other spouse becomes incapacitated or dies. I know a couple here that had this problem. He was the only signer on the account and suffered a severe head injury in a motorcycle accident, resulting in being hospitalized in a coma for several months. She was in dire financial straits before he finally recovered enough to get her added to the account.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Scout wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:40 pm
Bubba1 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:25 pm Why would anyone need a joint account? The Bangkok Bank app for example has free transfers among all Thai banks.
I’m sure there are a number of reasons for having a joint account but I think a good reason is the financial security that comes with either spouse being able to access funds if the other spouse becomes incapacitated or dies. I know a couple here that had this problem. He was the only signer on the account and suffered a severe head injury in a motorcycle accident, resulting in being hospitalized in a coma for several months. She was in dire financial straits before he finally recovered enough to get her added to the account.

That is precisely the case Scout. . .and a sad example of what I dont want to happen.