An Unplanned Few Days Just North of Cha-Am - Photo Report

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: An Unplanned Few Days Just North of Cha-Am - Photo Report

Post by Big Boy »

NB: Parts 4 and 5 are wordy, but short on photos, so I will post both parts today.

Part 4

I’d noticed a few pretty fishing villages on my outward journey. One of these was just as we left Wat Samut Kodom. I decided to stop and take a few snaps.
IMG_8770.jpg
(229.39 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
It was quite funny; these fishing boats were advertised as a transportation service. When you look at the first boat, I think Thailand have at last acquired their first submarine.
IMG_8772.jpg
(290.41 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
Transportation? No thank you.

As usual, my wife’s stomach started rumbling towards midday. There was a nice (amongst many not so very nice) restaurant at Puk Tien that we’ve used many times in the past. The restaurant was tried and tested, so off we went.

As I turned left into Puk Tien, I should have guessed something had happened because yet another road was blocked. However, this time there was a diversion that took us past the Police Forensic Headquarters, which was a hive of activity. After that it was dirt track, which the truck laughs at.

I got to the seafront road, and stopped right outside the restaurant (never been able to do that before). It was dead, and there was tape blocking access. It actually resembled a training exercise for the Police Forensic Headquarters. Another victim of Covid I presume. I went inside anyway to take a couple of photos of the Yak for my cousin, Carole who once bad mouthed the Yak and paid the penalty (that is another story, which I won’t go into). The tide was in, so it looked very nice.
IMG_8782.jpg
(205.86 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
IMG_8773.jpg
(160.18 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
IMG_8774.jpg
IMG_8774.jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
IMG_8780.jpg
(238.69 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
IMG_8777.jpg
(185.27 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
IMG_8778.jpg
(170.44 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
Just such a shock to see everything else at Puk Tien closed down. So very sad. You have to wonder what all of the people who lived and worked at Puk Tien are doing now. We left again – this time on another dirt track. Roads to and from the resort village had gone.

I found a delightful little restaurant not too far from Puk Tien to stop my wife’s stomach rumbling. Unusual for Thailand, but full of Thai antiques. The food was quite good as well – so good, we decided to go back for evening food before we went home.

We then returned to the hotel, which we had left to let the maid make up the room. When we got back, there were 2 bottles of water, 2 clean towels and a toilet roll outside of the room. The maid (we saw them before we left, and there were 5 of them) had not cleaned the room.

We did a bit of chilling at the hotel, showered, and then drove into Cha-Am for an early evening meal. Our timing is awful coming to Cha-Am this week as it is the Crab and Squid festival, so the town is heaving.

We got to Cha-Am early enough to beat the crowds, and went to a recommended restaurant, Aroy. A lovely restaurant with a very extensive menu, and many more antiques on display. Prices were very reasonable as well. I had a soup starter followed by (NZ) steak, my wife had 2 Isaan dishes, we had a fruit smoothie each plus a Sprite and a bottle of water. Cost was just 725฿.

When we got back to the hotel, the restaurant area was donned in coloured lights, and there was some sort of party going on. I’m not sure if it was a private party, but it was karaoke. There’s one thing worse than Thai music, somebody singing to Thai music very badly. We did discus going across to see what was going on, but both decided against it with absolutely no hesitation. Fair play though, it all stopped dead on 22:00hrs. Hmmmm………. that was a lie, it kicked off again 15 minutes later, and finally finished on the stroke of midnight.

...................../to be continued
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:02 am We then returned to the hotel, which we had left to let the maid make up the room. When we got back, there were 2 bottles of water, 2 clean towels and a toilet roll outside of the room. The maid (we saw them before we left, and there were 5 of them) had not cleaned the room.
Since Covid, I'm noticing this more at 2/3 star hotels ... services and facilities are getting skinny. Reluctance to clean the rooms (unless asked for), removing room items such as kettles (we take our own now), no chairs on the balcony anymore, no pool towels, etc. I guess their overheads are much higher now, customer numbers are much lower, and probably staff shortages too, so they're all trying to cut back.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I have noticed this in several hotels, but not this one. The place must have had staff outnumbering guests 20 fold (without exaggeration) Monday to Friday. Our accommodation block was small, and there were 5 lazy bitches allocated to clean the rooms. The kitchen was permanently manned 18 hours a day, yet midweek, we only saw one other couple eating a meal. The gate was permanently manned by 2 people to open/close the gate. Reception had 2 staff on duty 24/7. There was a huge gardening/maintenance crew. Yes, we had a kettle (we also take our own these days), there were beach towels. It was honestly like a well oiled holiday hotel. The problem was the coven of maids assigned to our block were the laziest bunch you could wish to meet. In 5 days, our room was cleaned once, and then it was only after we'd complained.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think I would have complained 5 times!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, on our last day, they turned up at 4pm (probably looking for a tip before we left). My wife told them not bother.

At least their expected visits got us off our arses, and out of the room. Certainly, on the day my back spasms arrived (you haven't got to that part yet), I'd have most likely stayed in bed all day.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Aroy restaurant in Cha-am has been around for years. Have eaten there dozens of times and never been disappointed. Has to be my favourite restaurant in Cha-am.

Did you count the clocks? Used to be a pastime for my kids when they were younger. Can't remember the number, but it's a lot!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The big black statue in Puktien was named Denise by my daughter after her mother, my 2nd wife. You can tell whose side she comes from!!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:31 am Aroy restaurant in Cha-am has been around for years. Have eaten there dozens of times and never been disappointed. Has to be my favourite restaurant in Cha-am.

Did you count the clocks? Used to be a pastime for my kids when they were younger. Can't remember the number, but it's a lot!
They’re no longer there - the owner (German I believe) sold up and must have taken the clocks with him - I think there may be a handful left but not the 100+ like before!!

But yes, the food was always good and I think I’ve only been once since change of ownership so not qualified to comment on the standard now.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Wow. It's been quite a while since I dined there but I used to go every week. I must go again just to see the difference.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, there were a few clocks regularly sounding off, but not 100's. The food was very nice - definitely worth a visit.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 5

9 September 2023

What a difference a day makes. After last night’s party, we wandered across to the restaurant for breakfast, and it was a hive of activity. Most tables were already full, there were kids in the swimming pools, people sat around the pool on sunbeds – an incredible transformation in just 24 hours, but proof that this area thrives on weekend Bangkokians.

Breakfast was a buffet this morning, so it was back to the usual hotel breakfast of chilled eggs and plastic sausages, but no plastic ham (no loss). Warm fried rice was available as an alternative to the plastic ham. DIY toast, jam, orange juice and tea/coffee. There was still a fresh fruit section, but a nice addition today was miniature chicken curry pasties, which I love. They were in plastic casing, so a few went back to the room with us for later.

Next job was planning for the day ahead – I hadn’t got a clue what we’re going to do. We had to leave the room to allow the room maids to do their work.

Disaster strikes – I get back spasms from time to time (every 3 months or so). They arrive for no reason, usually cripple me for a couple of days, and then go away as fast as they came. As I entered the room after breakfast, I suddenly couldn’t move.

Fortunately, my wife had a couple of Defelene 50mg tablets in her handbag. This is about the only thing that seems to work on me in terms of pain relief. I took one straight away, but I was in a bad way. Was today going to be a complete wash-out? Whatever we decided, it was going to have to be something simple.

I was laying on my bed feeling sorry for myself, when I remembered the advert for the Angler’s Rest on Surf Radio. A real English pub that had been on my ‘to do’ list for quite some time. I checked Google Maps, and it was 12 minutes away. Even with a gammy back, I could probably manage that. However, first job would be to stock up on more Defelene, so a pharmacy en-route would be a priority.

We passed a couple of pharmacies, but they were closed. I then arrived at a large supermarket – they would have a pharmacy inside. Sure enough, we found the pharmacy, but again it was closed. There was a girl sat on the floor behind the counter, and my wife asked what was going on. She advised that pharmacies close in Cha-Am on a Saturday. An important lesson, don’t be ill in Cha-Am on a Saturday. My wife put on her sad face, and sweet-talked the girl into selling her a box, which she did, but then for some reason, gave my wife a 20% discount. Nothing surprises me in Thailand.

Tablets in hand, it was the short drive to the Angler’s Rest, which is part of the Jurassic Park Fishing resort.
IMG_8783.jpg
IMG_8783.jpg (120.15 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
IMG_8784.jpg
(280.22 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8786.jpg
IMG_8786.jpg (192.88 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
IMG_8808.jpg
(398.99 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
I’ve known about Jurassic Park as a premier fishing resort for many years. I’d often considered going there, but the fish at Hua Hin’s Fishing Lodge used to make my ears flash red. Did I really need to fight with the really huge monsters that resided here?
IMG_8807.jpg
(218.87 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
I still remember a couple of epic battles with a Giant Mekong (which I lost each time after about 30 minutes) at the fishing Lodge – I was assured each time that it was less than 30Kg. What would I do with 178Kg of fish on the end? The other consideration was cost, of course. Current prices are 800฿ at the Fishing Lodge, compared with 10,500฿ at Jurassic Park. Mind you, the size of the fish was very impressive today, but watching the guys catching them, it was too much like hard work.
IMG_8803.jpg
(309.16 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
One guy even needed first aid afterwards. I’m glad I passed on that one.

Jurassic Park is fishing for the wealthy, a beautiful setting with some monster fish. You were clearly getting what you paid for.
IMG_8787.jpg
(308.45 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8788.jpg
(315.15 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8789.jpg
(343.6 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8798.jpg
(196.75 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8800.jpg
(359.74 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
There was even a fleet of disabled scooters identical to my wife’s to service the fishing stations. It did amuse me when the first aider had to jump on the back – all that was missing was a flashing blue light. The setting itself was very pretty. However, we were there for Angler’s Rest – a Traditional English Pub and Restaurant. In fitting with the setting, the Angler’s Rest was very nicely set out. Good, solid furnishings, and very nice fittings, overlooking the lake.
IMG_8793.jpg
IMG_8793.jpg (125.16 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
IMG_8791.jpg
(227.54 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8792.jpg
(277.46 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8794.jpg
(271.44 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8795.jpg
(261.27 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
IMG_8799.jpg
(321.76 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
We hadn’t long had breakfast, so just treated ourselves to a couple of sweets, and a couple of soft drinks. The menu was very extensive, and the food was well presented and tasted good.

OK, I had a bad back, but had I not been in a lot of pain, I would have loved to have wandered around the lake, but this was not permitted. Only anglers were permitted beyond the perimeter boards.

We spent a very relaxing couple of hours, just soaking in the views, and watching a few men struggling with monster fish. When we had finished, we went to visit the ‘giant’ tortoise.
IMG_8805.jpg
(411 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
Actually, not so giant – I encountered a tortoise of similar size walking down our Soi a few months back.

I drove back to the hotel. While we’d been away, we learned the builder had hit a few problems, and will take one day longer than planned. I stopped at reception to book in for one extra night. What a surprise when the cost was less than 75% of what I’d paid per night for the rest of our stay. I’ve been hearing for a while now that hotel booking agencies had been hiking their prices since Covid, and advice had been to book directly with the hotels. This was proof that using the likes of Agoda, Booking.com, etc. is a rip off.

We got back to our room, which we had left to get cleaned. Just as the previous day, 2 bottles of water, 2 clean towels and a toilet roll had been left outside. We went straight back to reception to complain. 3 room maids were there within 5 minutes, and our room was cleaned, at last.

Evening food was back to yesterday’s lunch venue, which we have now learned is called Puk Tien 57. Still very nice.

...................../to be continued

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Regarding the traditional English Pub (The Anglers Rest), did it serve traditional English Beer?

PS. Not all pharmacies in Cha Am close on a Saturday, my regular one (in the centre of Cha Am) opens at least in the morning, not sure about the afternoon.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I'm not a beer drinker any more, but I noticed on draught it had Leo, Chang and Asahi lagers and Thatchers cider. I didn't look for bottled beer.

Regarding the pharmacy, it is just what the girl in Lotus's told my wife. Certainly, judging by what we experienced, it was right, but I guess there'll always be an emergency pharmacy somewhere.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:10 pm No, I'm not a beer drinker any more, but I noticed on draught it had Leo, Chang and Asahi lagers and Thatchers cider. I didn't look for bottled beer.

Regarding the pharmacy, it is just what the girl in Lotus's told my wife. Certainly, judging by what we experienced, it was right, but I guess there'll always be an emergency pharmacy somewhere.
I actually found their website https://theanglersrest.com/which confirmed they stock a whole range of bottled/canned beers and ciders that have very familiar sounding names (Ruddles, Youngs, Green King etc). The Tripadvisor reviews all sound incredibly positive (not doubting the authenticity) so sounds like a great place to visit - might be a bit more expensive than your average Thai restaurant but that’s to be expected!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I actually thought their food prices were quite reasonable. It was the cost of soft drinks that got me. I glanced at the draught prices, and thought the price of a large glass of cider looked reasonable, but have no idea how large a 'large glass' was.

Points 48; Position 20