Football (not Premier League)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Re: Football (not Premier League)

Post by Big Boy »

Oh, most definitely, but Plymouth were there a few years back when they had a sugar daddy. Money was no object, but the sugar daddy had plans on developing Central Park when England won the World Cup bid. The bid failed, and the sugar daddy left, leaving Plymouth with a stack of Premier League standard players, and no money to pay their wages, or anything else for that matter. Anybody who knows anything about Plymouth will know that everything comes at a premium price, so it was Premier League players, receiving Premier League + wages. Just one guy walking left the club in all sorts of financial difficulty. So the moral is, be sure of the sugar daddy's ill intentions when accepting his money.

I'd much rather have a well managed club, doing it the old fashioned way.
Championship Millwall 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It may not be right or what many of us like, but the sad reality of modern day football is that success generally speaking only comes with money!! It’s probably one of the main reasons why I’ve lost a lot of interest in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There's a lot more satisfaction doing it the old fashioned way, but some people are happy with frozen chips as well :run:

Points 48; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:49 pm There's a lot more satisfaction doing it the old fashioned way, but some people are happy with frozen chips as well :run:
Some of us have experienced success before and after a sugar daddy. I'm just happy with continued success! Having been on the flip side too often.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I just find too much uncertainty with a sugar daddy at the helm. Maybe as a half decent Premier League side, it is easy to find a new sugar daddy as one leaves. When you are in the Championship or below, I doubt there is the same attraction.

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:24 pm Leicester are of course the King Power people and wealthy Thai family left over from their glory days. They'll go up, but if they come back down rapidly I would think we'll see a change in ownership. The only player I know is Vardy, and he's getting old! :laugh:
He most definitely is getting old but Vardy was on the scoresheet again last night to bring his tally to 18 this season (not bad for a 37 year old) and help to almost guarantee Leicester promotion back to the Premier next season.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Interesting how Plymouth's fate is unfolding. Plymouth will probably lose to Hull and remain at 48 points. Norwich should beat Birmingham who will remain at 47. Ipswich will definitely beat Huddersfield who will remain at 45. Plymouth squeezes through by the skin of it's teeth to remain in the Championship. My take anyway.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Very scary stuff, and the brown stuff happens. Who would have seen Sheff Weds score 3 at the weekend. I've been resigned to T1 next season for some time.

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Birmingham who are one point below Plymouth have a very difficult game against Norwich on Saturday so as long as Plymouth don’t do worse than Birmingham they’ll stay up - even if Birmingham draw and Plymouth lose, you’ll still stay up with a better goal difference - squeaky bum time!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Believe me, my bum has been squeaking for a few months now :laugh:

Points 48; Position 21