Fish & Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
pharvey

Re: Fish & Chips

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:10 am It’s not the bacteria and worms these days, more microplastics that you need to worry about.

As for cod or haddock, after a generous portion of salt and vinegar, I’d probably struggle to tell one from another in a blind-tasting test!!
HHTel wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:53 am I'm a cod person. However, my mother worked at Bird's Eye and after seeing the worms and bacteria in cod, she never ate it again.
Christ, some proper "Feel Good" comments there :roll: - and I always thought Fish & Chips was the staple feel good grub!! :D
Big Boy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:11 am My preference is always cod, but as with pharvey, I used to catch some very big pollack. It was always a treat eating pollack that same evening - fresh pollack had a flavour of its own (I guess fresh cod would also be preferable).
I was going to sneak in a quiet pisstake with regards to BB's spelling though (Pollock vs Pollack - not once, not twice BUT thrice!) then I thought better of it (for once!! :wink: ) and double checked. I wish I hadn't in some ways, but,,,,,, I think this is the best result/answer (from a multitude of pointless searches - but still rather confusing!!): -

"Pollock and Pollack fish are not the same thing! They're both quite similar to Cod, and can be used as a replacement for Cod in most recipes.

There is some confusion around the name 'Pollock', especially if you plumb the depths of Google where lots of information is American. Alaska or walleye Pollock is the species most easily available in the UK, and it can be bought from sustainable fisheries.

Just to confuse you further there is also a fish called 'Pollack', known as 'lythe' in Scotland, which is sometimes called Pollock as well. This is also very like cod and haddock when cooked and is available line-caught off the Cornish coast."

Same Same But Different as they say!! The above is taken from https://www.olivemagazine.com/guides/wh ... d-pollack/ which also show's 1 or 2 very tasty looking recipes!! :thumb:

Work it out for yourself - I'm going to try the Chowder!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

pharvey wrote:
PeteC wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:08 am Which do most prefer, Cod or Haddock? I don't have F&C often enough to remember which I've had, and the difference. It does seem though that if no Cod, Haddock is the go to fish here. I assume both are imported.

Is there a locally caught fish that is also sometimes used? :cheers:
Well, purely from a UK viewpoint - Cod is ludicrously expensive as is Haddock (but less so). Haddock is a more flavourful and lighter fish IMHO and as such the preferred option. I would assume on a cost basis the same would apply in Thailand with both fish being imported?

Years ago on various fishing trips we used to catch Pollock on rod and line - then a relatively unknown member of the "Cod Family" in the UK, it was and is a beautiful fish. It's now far more popular and as such far more expensive than it was!!

As for fish in Thailand, I always thought Snapper was the go to replacing Cod or Haddock. I could very well be wrong though and would certainly be interested to know myself!

I don't think you're wrong.

Orayas in town(soi selakam near Murphys pub) do an excellent fish and chips, and mushy peas, and they use white snapper.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:02 pm I don't think you're wrong.

Orayas in town(soi selakam near Murphys pub) do an excellent fish and chips, and mushy peas, and they use white snapper.
Thanks for that - Snapper it is then!! The question now arises - "White" Snapper vs others despite fear of being racist....

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Throwing a wrench into the works, the wife says Sea bass is frequently used here, primarily as it is about the only ocean fish restaurants can now obtain here in large quantity. The era of wide choices of locally caught fish is apparently long over.

It is true that if you go to a Thai restaurant and order a grilled or steamed fish, it will be Sea bass these days.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

You need to be careful just what is a "Sea Bass"!

Sea bass is a common name for a variety of different species of marine fish. Many fish species of various families have been called sea bass.

In Ireland and the United Kingdom, the fish sold and consumed as sea bass is exclusively the European bass, Dicentrarchus labrax.[1] Sometimes referred to as sea bass include the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_bass

The barramundi (Lates calcarifer), Asian sea bass, or giant sea perch, or dangri is a species of catadromous fish in the family Latidae of the order Perciformes. The species is widely distributed in the Indo-West Pacific, spanning the waters of the Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia, East Asia, and Oceania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barramund ... %20Oceania.

Thai cuisine
Barramundi from local fish farms are known as pla kapong (Thai: ปลากะพง) in Thailand.[19] Since its introduction, it has become one of the most popular fish in Thai cuisine. It is often eaten steamed with lime and garlic, as well as deep-fried or stir-fried with lemongrass, among a variety of many other ways. Pla kapong can be seen in aquaria in many restaurants in Thailand, where sometimes this fish is wrongly labelled as "snapper" or "sea bass" on menus.[20] Traditionally, Lutjanidae snappers were known as pla kapong before the introduction of barramundi in Thai aquaculture, but presently, snapper is rarely served in restaurants in the main cities and in interior Thailand.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, the photo on the Wiki page is what I've seen when ordering grilled/deep fried/steamed at various Thai restaurants over the past several years. So, the proper name seems to be Barramundi. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....and I assume from what I'm told it's also used for F&C here, regardless of what the menu says.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Barramundi, white snapper and sea bass are all very similar - with barramundi normally found more in brackish water areas.
Price and taste-wise when I lived in Thailand, I tended to opt more for red snapper or even black snapper for F&C when available, as it had a firmer texture and was cheaper on account of being less popular.

Since moving to Cambodia, my go-to fish now for F&C is definitely barracuda. It is a flaky fish with a wonderful subtle flavour and absolutely perfect for the tastiest fish & chips.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've never eaten Barracuda to my knowledge. I bought a few shark steaks many years ago here and to me they were really bad. Terrible flavour. It seemed like I was eating bait. :shock:

I'll give F&C Barracuda a try if i find it. :cheers:
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I’ve finally had barracuda! Went to Gary’s Sabai Sabai today and had the large order of fish & chips. I confirmed with Gary himself that this was barracuda. It was very good.
The large order came with three pieces. Two pieces were larger than the third. The smallest piece was denser and the flesh was darker. It reminded me of halibut. All three pieces had a very subdued flavor. Not fishy at all. The two larger pieces were stark white and seemed just like cod. Great taste and the batter was very good. I really enjoyed this meal. Definitely some of the best I’ve had in Hua Hin (I have not been to Viking).
There were no mushy peas, if that matters to anyone (not to me). I don’t know why they had none. There was a choice between frozen chips and chips made on site. Well, of course, I chose the latter. Nice. Nothing special, really. The tartar sauce was very good. I recommend this place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

chips made on site
I love the barracuda at LePub, but their chips are frozen. "chips made on site" means I'll have to try Sabai Sabai soon. I was starting to give up hope finding real chips ever again.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:01 pm
chips made on site
"chips made on site" means I'll have to try Sabai Sabai soon. I was starting to give up hope finding real chips ever again.
Yes, that is a big deal! 4th nearest restaurant to me as well. You note these things living where I do and I have eaten at two of the other three!
Talk is cheap
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

A bit off subject but if you eat at Sabai Sabai on a Monday he normally does a good bubble & squeak with roast pork using leftovers from the Sunday roast.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Barracuda or barramundi?
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Sabai Sabai sells Barracuda!