Bangkok Dinner Cruise – Trip Report with photos/video

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Bangkok Dinner Cruise – Trip Report with photos/video

Post by Big Boy »

Unfortunately, it is a replica. From our old mate Mr Google, "Sirimahannop is a replica of a Royal Thai navy ship, the last three-masted sailing ship used by The Royal Thai Navy, during the reign of King Rama V (1868-1910)."
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:09 am Unfortunately, it is a replica. From our old mate Mr Google, "Sirimahannop is a replica of a Royal Thai navy ship, the last three-masted sailing ship used by The Royal Thai Navy, during the reign of King Rama V (1868-1910)."
Thank you. So it is actually a restaurant!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but too expensive for me :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I wasnt even aware there was a Disney connection to Asiatique! A few years ago now, but the first time we went, we were just driving past and decided to pull in and have a look. But it was too hot, too early and much was still to open. So another time we went after dark and it was still too hot, because it was so crowded, and as you say, full of shops selling the usual tourist stuff, with just a few offering better quality, more unique fare, in the arts and crafts field. We had an overpriced, average meal and then left.The 3rd and last time we visited was to return to one of the craft shops, to buy a present for my sister, had a quick wander around, had an ice cream and then left. I think it's probably worth a visit - once.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, we went there on the recommendation of friends, who said it was fun. For me. the only place I'd go back for is the chill zone - that was so relaxing, and the Thai beer was surprisingly good.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:55 am Do you have any details about the ship,BB? Is it genuine, or a replica just for posing?
It's Disney, everything is an illusion :D

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 6 – Day 3

Coming home/Conclusion

We were the last residents down for breakfast today, and it was quite disconcerting that every other breakfast was left on the breakfast table, cling film removed, and one bite taken, before being abandoned.

After another inedible breakfast, our taxi home was waiting for us. A SUV this time, so I was happy. He made excellent time driving home – 2 hours 55 minutes, which included a lunch break. The birthday adventure was over.

Despite a few moans, it was an excellent couple of days away. I am an absolute novice regarding travel and accommodation inside Bangkok, but within reason, a little research meant that everything went ‘almost’ as planned:

• The hotel’s location was unfortunate. I’d love to know how the likes of Agoda obtained a photo of the hotel frontage. There’s a bloody great motorway and railway obscuring the frontage. Maybe a lucky shot as a satellite passed overhead.
• Hotel breakfast may have been better if more guests had booked breakfast, and the advertised buffet breakfast happened. It was unfortunate the hotel had a captive (especially with a wheelchair resident) audience. It was the hotel breakfast, or go without. I think they could have done better. They did suggest ordering Grab Food or Food Panda might have been better.
• We were in tourist Bangkok, so a lot of Indians, Chinese and Koreans should not have been unexpected. However, unexpected they were, and took a bit of getting used to. It shows what a sheltered life we lead in Hua Hin.
• In hindsight, ICON SIAM was the better of both places we visited to board the boat, but maybe Riverside would be even more preferable i.e. less boats, less people and maybe less chaos. Boarding of River Cruises, in general, was manic, but it didn’t have to be. If we’d turned up at the dockside 5 minutes before departure, we’d have walked straight on, and sat at our reserved table.
• River Cruise boarding may be more dignified if check-in and boarding times were not so far apart. We had to check-in 2 hours and 15 minutes before boarding. There is very little to do during that long wait except get in each other’s way. I presume the idea is that we should have gone inside ICON SIAM and spent wads of cash during the 2 hours wait. The problem is intensified in inclement weather because the hoards are gathered under cover for a long period.
• On the boat, maybe I should have let everybody get their food first. Could have had a really good look around at what was on offer then, providing it hadn’t all gone, sampled exactly what I wanted. Food was plentiful – certainly no need to rush. Passengers could have been invited to the buffet maybe 5 tables at a time.
• Avoid the river front at Asiatique when the dinner cruises are loading. If you can’t avoid it, have an ankle tapping wheelchair with you.
• ICON SIAM is a fantastic store, but not somewhere to do your shopping. Don’t consider the terrace restaurants until late afternoon.
• If viewing the water fountain show, check wind strength and direction before choosing your best vantage point.

I’d definitely recommend the dinner cruise to people. For around 850฿/head, it was excellent value. Looking at the various boats we passed on the river, I think they are all probably much of a muchness. I learnt a lot of valuable lessons. I enjoyed it, but if I went again, it could be so much better.

Points 48; Position 20