Ashes Test series

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Ashes Test series

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:51 am Hell's teeth - you're not blaming the ref umpire are you DM :shock:
LOL no, a bit more literally than that. Bowling and batting in the better conditions, a number of wild swipes that narrowly failed to reach a fielder, Moeen Ali's finger, blablabla... but at the end of the day, it was an excellent knock <he said through gritted teeth> by Pat Cummins that got them across the finish line. Jolly well played, chaps... :cry: :cry:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

England's women have started their 2nd innings scoring at a run a ball, and have a real chance of beating the mighty Aussies.
Should we call this Barbyball...? :shock: :oops:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

They’re struggling now at 110 - 5 so not looking good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yep, shame, I'd like to see them do well. But if I'm totally honest, I just can't bring myself to care all that much - maybe it's the history, but it's just not quite the same as the men's game.

These days, I probably need to delete that or follow it up with some kind of sincere apology and admission of my inner faults...
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:20 am Yep, shame, I'd like to see them do well. But if I'm totally honest, I just can't bring myself to care all that much - maybe it's the history, but it's just not quite the same as the men's game.

These days, I probably need to delete that or follow it up with some kind of sincere apology and admission of my inner faults...
I’m not sure you need to apologise - you can enjoy watching even if the quality isn’t as high as the men’s game - it’s the same in football, you can enjoy watching the ladies play, it just isn’t at the same skill/fitness level as the men - having said that, the gap is narrowing so if I come back in another life, maybe I’ll witness the men getting their ‘rse kicked by the ladies!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:26 am ... if I come back in another life, maybe I’ll witness the men getting their ‘rse kicked by the ladies!!
1. You've spent way too long in Thailand!

2. 40 years ago my office football team had an annual game against the ladies (wives, girlfriends, female colleagues, etc.) in which we chaps had to wear wellies. Great fun. The ref was invariably extremely biased, the women wore football boots and were remorselessly vicious, and there was quaite a bit of 'accidental' groping. It was hilarious!
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:26 am ... if I come back in another life, maybe I’ll witness the men getting their ‘rse kicked by the ladies!!
1. You've spent way too long in Thailand!

2. 40 years ago my office football team had an annual game against the ladies (wives, girlfriends, female colleagues, etc.) in which we chaps had to wear wellies. Great fun. The ref was invariably extremely biased, the women wore football boots and were remorselessly vicious, and there was quaite a bit of 'accidental' groping. It was hilarious!
During my playing days one of the teams I played with was my works team and similarly we would occasionally play against the girls at work. There were very few rules and there were numerous “accidental contact” incidents. I don’t think there was anyone keeping record of goals scored - possibly shorts pulled down!!

I guess we should get this back on topic!! Image

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not the best of days for England (an Wales) I guess - aside from Bairstow's catch!!

Aus 190-2 at Tea... Ho hum.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The best moment of the day for me was early on when Bairstow picked up a protester and literally carried him off the pitch. Loved it!

This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:The best moment of the day for me was early on when Bairstow picked up a protester and literally carried him off the pitch. Loved it!

From an English point of view, definitely the highlight of the day - looking like a big lead on the cards for the Aussies!!

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, but those 2 late wickets leave us with a glimmer of hope. Just a glimmer, but it wasn't there an hour ago!
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Looking like 500+ is a possibility, although they’re forecasting rain tomorrow so let’s see!!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:59 am Looking like 500+ is a possibility, although they’re forecasting rain tomorrow so let’s see!!
dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:56 am Yes, but those 2 late wickets leave us with a glimmer of hope. Just a glimmer, but it wasn't there an hour ago!
A draw on the cards? Seems to be a good chance of rain during the coming days....

I'm certainly no expert on the game, but was it a mistake to use/select an "All-Pace" bowling team for this Test (no options), especially judging by these conditions and bowling/fielding first? I'm assuming of course the conditions don't suit a fast bowler(?).

The last 2 wickets were a slight relief, but is a draw the best that can be hoped for realistically? Bring back Beefy!! :D
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:31 am I'm certainly no expert on the game, but was it a mistake to use/select an "All-Pace" bowling team for this Test (no options), especially judging by these conditions and bowling/fielding first? I'm assuming of course the conditions don't suit a fast bowler(?).
No options other than Root, you mean, who got the 2 late wickets?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and more so in cricket than most. The conditions were, on the face of it, ideal, for swing bowlers - Anderson, Broad and Robinson aren't quickies like Archer and Wood - but those conditions didn't really pan out, and the bowlers didn't bowl all that well.

It's best to wait til the fat lady sings, especially with the current England team. If the Aussies get over 450 it will be difficult for them to lose, and we'll have to hope we can get a draw. If we can get them out for 400-420, we're still in with a shout of winning.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:42 am
pharvey wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:31 am I'm certainly no expert on the game, but was it a mistake to use/select an "All-Pace" bowling team for this Test (no options), especially judging by these conditions and bowling/fielding first? I'm assuming of course the conditions don't suit a fast bowler(?).
No options other than Root, you mean, who got the 2 late wickets?
Well no, I was thinking more of Spin Bowlers - Ali would have been a risk fair enough, but there must be other options?