Comparing restaurant prices between Hua Hin and the UK

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Comparing restaurant prices between Hua Hin and the UK

Post by Dannie Boy »

As the Mods rightly mentioned, I’ve moved the post about Indian restaurant prices in the UK to a new thread.
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:28 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:27 pm I appreciate this is about Indian restaurants in Hua Hin, but my families favourite Indian in the UK (called Jasmin at Bexleyheath), whilst excellent for food and hospitality, a meal (including all the trimmings) and a couple of drinks is something like £40-50 a head, so for what we pay in Hua Hin, its incredible value for money.
If I paid 50 quid a ahead for a curry in Bexleyheath or Welling I'd check myself in for psychiatry! Even Blackheath. :D
These days a couple of large Cobra beers will set you back about £15, a main dish from the “Specials list” will be about the same, so already you’re up to £30. Add in some rice, onion bahjji, a naan or another side dish and a few papadoms and it’s easy to break the £40 mark and of course not being a “Cheap Charlie” there’s a tip on top, so that’s where the price comes from, and no need to see the psychiatrist!!

Not the sort of place to eat at very often, but if I’m in the UK for more than 3 months I shall visit once and enjoy a very nice meal with my nearest and dearests.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Comparing restaurant prices between Hua Hin and the UK

Post by Dannie Boy »

And to add somebody’s comments (not mine) about the restaurant, this gives you an idea of why you’re paying a bit more than average.

“If you haven’t been to this outstanding Indian in Bexleyheath, make sure it’s your next meal.
I’ve been to Indian restaurants all over london, from cheap to Michelin starred these past 45 years, and this place is at the top of the list for generous, fresh, contemporary and traditional dishes.
The owner has detailed knowledge of the menus & more, backed up by an incredibly skilled chef who delivers far beyond our gastronomic desires. You hardly need to read the menu as the owner will create the perfect meal tailored to you tastes, leaving you to enjoy your time together rather than researching the menu.

The restaurant has a friendly, welcoming and professional feel - also impeccably clean.

Thank you for having us, we can’t wait to come back!”
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is no comparison really, its a moot point since overheads/expenses/rents/utility bills/wages/taxes/licenses/hygiene compliance/etc are so much more in the UK so restaurant prices have to be higher. People also earn about ten times more than average Thais do so its horses for courses.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I wasn’t trying to make a comparison as such, just mentioning that in Thailand food is relatively cheap compared to Western Countries, so we should be grateful that here people can eat out on a regular basis without risk of breaking the bank - in the UK as my example, it’s too expensive!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Restaurants may be cheap, but the price of groceries is on a par with the west, and many items here are more expensive especially if you want anything imported or that isn't part of the average Thai daily diet.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My experience is that when I’m in the UK I have more variety and tend to eat more of the food I like, that here would be imported and expensive. I’ve obviously modified my diet over the years, because without taking too scientific a study, I’m certain that I spend more on food when I’m in the UK than I do when I’m in Thailand, but as said, I do eat differently.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

One of the large problems with running restaurants in the West is property prices. I know people in the hospitality industry here in Luxembourg city and they're paying over 10,000 euros a month in rent.
You can't sell cheap food and cover that so you have to go up market.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:19 am
These days a couple of large Cobra beers will set you back about £15, a main dish from the “Specials list” will be about the same, so already you’re up to £30. Add in some rice, onion bahjji, a naan or another side dish and a few papadoms and it’s easy to break the £40 mark and of course not being a “Cheap Charlie” there’s a tip on top, so that’s where the price comes from, and no need to see the psychiatrist!!

Not the sort of place to eat at very often, but if I’m in the UK for more than 3 months I shall visit once and enjoy a very nice meal with my nearest and dearests.
I accept I'm probably 10 years out of date. I shudder to think what a meal in town at Veeraswamy or Dishoom would set me back! My beloved Halal in Alie Street, somewhere in Brick Lane or anywhere named Taj Mahal would probably be my financial limit now....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

many items here are more expensive especially if you want anything imported or that isn't part of the average Thai daily diet.
That has always been the case though. The choice is pay the price or go native.

It is the same, if not worse the other way around. If you are in the UK and craving Thai food, the mark up is considerably more than the mark up for imported food in Thailand. Over 20 years of keeping Mrs BB satisfied with her Thai food needs in the UK almost broke the bank a few times e.g. have you ever bought a Durian or a Jackfruit in the UK? Believe me, that would make your eyes water. The ginormous Thai Prawns weren't cheap either. I see what she pays for a Kg cooked fresh off the boat in Takiab. A box of frozen prawns in the UK could easily set you back £50.

On the other hand, Mrs BB just could not believe the amount of free food in the UK:

- Apples - our local council lined the roads with apple trees - just help yourself.
- Hazelnuts - in every hedgerow.
- Blackberries - on every bit of waste ground.

I could go on, and Mrs BB certainly took advantage of the freebies, but still needed her Thai fixes.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:33 am My experience is that when I’m in the UK I have more variety and tend to eat more of the food I like, that here would be imported and expensive. I’ve obviously modified my diet over the years, because without taking too scientific a study, I’m certain that I spend more on food when I’m in the UK than I do when I’m in Thailand, but as said, I do eat differently.
Off topic, never having visited India, I've never found Indian or Pakistan food as good at the better (not 5 star) places in the UAE where they are cooking for ther own tastes. Not the same as a UK British Indian, they don't go for colour, but the tastes are the real deal. One near the cargo airport whose name I forget seems gone now (maybe COVID killed it), was open until even 3 or 4 am, for the taxi drivers. Dirt cheap and great food, but not comfortable seating. So sit outside in the cooler night air in your DJ after a night of entertainment, with a big cigar and leave a good tip!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:25 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:19 am

I accept I'm probably 10 years out of date. I shudder to think what a meal in town at Veeraswamy or Dishoom would set me back! My beloved Halal in Alie Street, somewhere in Brick Lane or anywhere named Taj Mahal would probably be my financial limit now....
Just out of interest I looked at the Dishoom website and their prices are quite similar to those that I provided for the Jasmine restaurant - I’m sure that Dishoom is a high class restaurant, but the food at Jasmine is some of the best I have eaten. Anyway it’s all subjective but an enjoyable subject!!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 am have you ever bought a Durian or a Jackfruit in the UK? Believe me, that would make your eyes water.
I bought a whole durian from a chinese stall in Covent Garden once. I had her tightly double bag it, but in a Leicester Square cinema (luckily almost empty during the day) it still pervaded several rows around. That was before I came to Thailand and learned that some better (more expensive) varieties are less aromatic/pungent. :)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:39 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:33 am My experience is that when I’m in the UK I have more variety and tend to eat more of the food I like, that here would be imported and expensive. I’ve obviously modified my diet over the years, because without taking too scientific a study, I’m certain that I spend more on food when I’m in the UK than I do when I’m in Thailand, but as said, I do eat differently.
Off topic, never having visited India, I've never found Indian or Pakistan food as good at the better (not 5 star) places in the UAE where they are cooking for ther own tastes. Not the same as a UK British Indian, they don't go for colour, but the tastes are the real deal. One near the cargo airport whose name I forget seems gone now (maybe COVID killed it), was open until even 3 or 4 am, for the taxi drivers. Dirt cheap and great food, but not comfortable seating. So sit outside in the cooler night air in your DJ after a night of entertainment, with a big cigar and leave a good tip!
You’re getting me going now!! I lived and worked in Pakistan for nearly 4 years and had some very nice (and very bad) curries and probably the best Naan breads ever at two locations - the Sheraton hotel in Karachi and a street stall in Lahore!!

I’ve visited India countless times on business and sampled a good number of “authentic” Indian Curries, which are generally quite different than those served in the UK. I’ve also had the Sri Lanka versions of their curries (some of them fiercely hot!!).

I also worked in the UAE and Bahrain for 7 or 8 years so have tried all manner of Indian type dishes - some in top end (and therefore expensive) hotels, but also on street corner cafe type places and had some excellent curries, so I think I know a good one when I see (taste) one.

And guess what I’m cooking at the moment - yes a Chicken Indian Curry!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The cost of supermarket shopping here is one of the reasons I eat out more now. I can cook a pork chop as good as anyone, and with some spuds, veg and gravy I was a happy bunny. But what's the point, when I can go to Oasis for a pork chop slathered with onions, with mash or chips and veg for about what it would cost me to do all that by myself and not have any waste, or washing up. But in the UK, it would still be cheaper for a DIY.
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Since this topic came out of a discussion about Indian restaurants, here is an article from Sunday about how things are changing in the UK:

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2023/j ... in-decline