The AI (artificial intelligence) thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
pharvey

Re: The AI (artificial intelligence) thread

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:32 am
pharvey wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:37 pm Or a love letter to the LHG :shock: :wink:
Don't worry, I'll show you one of mine. :duck:
Apologies for the late response, I was checking through some "paperwork"....... :tsk:
buksida wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:01 am
pharvey wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:37 pm So what are the sites/Apps/Software that people are supposedly using to write their letters, CVs, "articles" etc?
OpenAI's ChatGPT is the primary one, unfortunately they've only released the app for Appleheads but an Android one is on the way.

https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt

https://www.androidpolice.com/chatgpt-g ... droid-app/
Thanks for that - I'll take a look.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Actually it’s all somewhat scary - AI is either going to take over the world, lead to human extinction, lead to massive unemployment or a combination of all three!! Not so long ago, thoughts like these seemed to be so far off, it was not worth worrying about, but the speed at which “progress” is happening is quite alarming!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 pm Actually it’s all somewhat scary - AI is either going to take over the world, lead to human extinction, lead to massive unemployment or a combination of all three!! Not so long ago, thoughts like these seemed to be so far off, it was not worth worrying about, but the speed at which “progress” is happening is quite alarming!!
Bloody terrifying if you look at "worst case scenario" - warfare, terrorism and loss of "human control"... It's something out of Skynet and the Terminator!!
Technology can move incredibly quickly and certainly not always for the good. It's obviously been big in the news recently and one of the comments made that I saw on BBC News last night was that there should be rules against the technology being used in the military,,,, Seriously?! When the fcuk does any country truly follow the rules of warfare or for that matter any rules against the betterment of themselves.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^Certainly there are quite a lot of careers that I would be avoiding if I was at the other end of my life.
You just have to look at how good Google translate has got now to see the way things are going.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 pm Actually it’s all somewhat scary - AI is either going to take over the world, lead to human extinction, lead to massive unemployment or a combination of all three!! Not so long ago, thoughts like these seemed to be so far off, it was not worth worrying about, but the speed at which “progress” is happening is quite alarming!!
Another less apocalyptic worry is it may lead to the loss of human innovation and creativity. If you can just feed prompts into AI to do anything from art to engineering, we're not pushing ourselves much.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lost wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:55 pm
Another less apocalyptic worry is it may lead to the loss of human innovation and creativity. If you can just feed prompts into AI to do anything from art to engineering, we're not pushing ourselves much.
Just to add to the 'creativity' aspect, they're already discussing 'making your own movies' feeding in some storyline suggestions etc for AI to complete, known actors (which eventually would be rare) paid for their AI computer generated form to be used in these creations. A kind of copyright I guess. Directors, screenwriters, authors, actors, artists, ... it may sound ridiculous, but these jobs could be in jeopardy. Or in little demand anywho.

Maybe we're a decade away (less maybe, longer possibly) from AI giving us the quality of current movies we enjoy, but it's going to be there eventually, that's a certainty.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Lost wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:55 pm
I've been thinking about this and I'm starting to see that maybe there is a fundamental flaw in all this in that AI today uses the accumulated knowledge of the Internet and produces human like responses based on that.
That works now but if large amounts of the information on the Internet is produced by AI, you will start to get feedback loops where it will give less human responses over time because mistakes will be amplified.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Regarding AI replacing people in particular HR staff I hope they don't suffer the same fate banks did when they thought it was no longer necessary to eyeball loan applicants.
However there is no doubt AI is going to make a huge difference to society.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Terminators aside, there are a lot of drawbacks to AI ...

AI threat landscape could include automated propaganda bots, sophisticated email attacks
Artificial intelligence (AI) will become a "fundamental game changer" throughout the world, enabling scalable disinformation campaigns and online scams, but global cyber-cooperation and traditional security hygiene should provide significant protection for companies and individuals, according to experts.

Center for a New American Security CEO Richard Fontaine told Fox News Digital that until now, humans have primarily created disinformation. While it may have been propagated through digital means, it was not made through digital means. But these new AI applications could now allow a government to propagate and originate disinformation at scale. On the defensive side of the equation, AI could provide an additive benefit to existing scanning systems, helping to detect anomalies, find vulnerabilities and recommend ways to fix them.

"There's a lot that's happening very quickly with that aspect of the threat landscape," Fontaine said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-AA1c0Zzv
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'm sad to see some uninfomed people in the news talking about advancement in AI (led by the advance of quantum computing over the next 10 to 20 years) leading to 'sentient' computers. In my opinion this is a ridiculous scare word describing increasingly useful (but to some, worrying), computing power in terms of computers being able to experience sensations and feelings and reacting emotionally. Any output from a computer, no matter how it's achieved including the computer reaching its own logical computations (including increasingly impressive generative AI such as ChatGP) is not and never will be sentience. Change my mind. :)

PS - I'd consider a medical operation by a computerised surgeon, with human staff on standby, but not a dental one. Am I weird?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:42 pm PS - I'd consider a medical operation by a computerised surgeon, with human staff on standby, but not a dental one. Am I weird?
I wouldn't. The problem with microcontrollers and computers in general is that they need a constant source of power, and even with some non-volatile memory, you will still lose what is stored in RAM. Take, for example, a modern car. Just to change your battery, you will still need to keep the power going (using a jump starter in parallel) so that the 50 or microcontrollers on board do not lose their 'learned' responses.
Now, if there was a power failure in the middle of a delicate medical procedure, I personally wouldn't want to be the person on the receiving end.
YMMV.

Sentience? :rasta:
วินเชนท์
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:42 pm I'm sad to see some uninfomed people in the news talking about advancement in AI (led by the advance of quantum computing over the next 10 to 20 years) leading to 'sentient' computers. In my opinion this is a ridiculous scare word describing increasingly useful (but to some, worrying), computing power in terms of computers being able to experience sensations and feelings and reacting emotionally. Any output from a computer, no matter how it's achieved including the computer reaching its own logical computations (including increasingly impressive generative AI such as ChatGP) is not and never will be sentience. Change my mind. :)

PS - I'd consider a medical operation by a computerised surgeon, with human staff on standby, but not a dental one. Am I weird?
The DaVinci robot is considered the gold standard for many surgical procedures( in conjunction with the surgeons) Presumably back up processes are in place for all electrical problems
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I have been trying out CHATgpt3 and have found it very user friendly and accurate. My experience was that it supplied the answer to any question in a very personalised way and fast. For example I asked what the difference was between Sunni and Shite Muslims, not that I am particularly interested but I thought the response would be interesting. It supplied the main difference almost instantly. However I wanted a more detailed answer and then asked it to write a 1000 word essay on the difference, again the result was almost instantaneous.
On a more relevant note(to me) I asked what Exchange Traded Funds were available that invested in luxury products, again very impressive results. But Chat gpt3 only goes up to 2021. Chatgpt4 is the newest version I believe.

In my opinion General Medical Practitioners, Lawyers and accountants are at risk with this technology.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Nice to see you back posting again dundrillin :D

:cheers:
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Lost wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:06 pm Nice to see you back posting again dundrillin :D

:cheers:
Thank you, I'm in the process of buying a condo in HuaHin and will split time between Buriram and HuaHin