The Beer Thread 2

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: The Beer Thread 2

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:10 pm Over the festive period I found the perfect use for the new Carabao Dunkel Beer - I used it to make shandy, and the lemonade killed the chemical taste for me.
I think we gave all our Carabao Dunkel away and I stuck to the far superior Beer Lao Dark over the festive period.

Its sad what you have to do to Thai beer to make it palatable.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:20 pm I think we gave all our Carabao Dunkel away and I stuck to the far superior Beer Lao Dark over the festive period.

Strangely enough, our Chang and Leo went very quickly, but I've still got 5 bottles of Dunkel in the fridge. Mind you, my son and DIL like Dunkel, and they get home later today. It won't be there much longer :laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:20 pm
Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:10 pm Over the festive period I found the perfect use for the new Carabao Dunkel Beer - I used it to make shandy, and the lemonade killed the chemical taste for me.
I think we gave all our Carabao Dunkel away and I stuck to the far superior Beer Lao Dark over the festive period.

The dark Lao is preferable, but my comments have made reference to price point also.
HarryPotter69
Novice
Novice

Post by HarryPotter69 »

I'm eager to explore the menu, reviews, and photos from the upcoming Bangkok location. The addition of this establishment to Hua Hin sounds promising, and I'm genuinely excited about the prospect. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that they will include some of my favorite American IPAs like Dogfish Head 90-Minute, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and Green Flash. Cheers to the anticipation of a delightful experience!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HarryPotter69 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:57 am I'm eager to explore the menu, reviews, and photos from the upcoming Bangkok location. The addition of this establishment to Hua Hin sounds promising, and I'm genuinely excited about the prospect. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that they will include some of my favorite American IPAs like Dogfish Head 90-Minute, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and Green Flash. Cheers to the anticipation of a delightful experience!
Not an auspicious start, HP69. You’ve copied and pasted my post from page 5 of this thread and added a few words to post as your own. Please don’t do that.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm just having an early evening beer and the Carabao rep has been in the bar with samples.
I thought the lager was surprisingly clean although not a strong flavour. Apparently it's made from malt, hops and yeast like a traditional German beer so maybe it's a step up from the standard Thai beers.
I got the bar to order a case so I can see what the hangover is like because that is my only real problem with Thai beer!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:17 pm Update on Carabao. I bought a case of the dark beer at Lotus. The bottles don't have any tinny tang. It'll be my goto in future if there are stocks. Cost was around same at Chang Ice Cold, which was showing as actually a lot cheaper than Chang Classic (which I prefer anyway).

Then I went to CJ up Pala-U road:

"We only stock Chang beer".

So how about that?
I'm just trying the Carabao Dunkel and it's definitely better than your average Thai beer.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Due to a tooth nerve problem I've been drinking cold beer out of a can with straw for the past few days. I've never done that before.

I'll tell you if you don't know already, you'll fall foul of the evil brew much faster with a straw than drinking the normal way. I think simply a matter that more goes in faster, when you think the opposite should be true. Bottoms up. :laugh: :thumb: :laugh: :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:12 pm
I'll tell you if you don't know already, you'll fall foul of the evil brew much faster with a straw than drinking the normal way. I think simply a matter that more goes in faster, when you think the opposite should be true.....
You have to take the straw out of your mouth occasionally Pete!
Actually, I remember drinking beer with a straw out of refilled Schweppes cans in a bar during an election alcohol ban once.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That's true Steve, as definitely a risk of swallowing the damn thing. :lach:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I used to find when my teeth were rotten, about a pint and a half of beer would make the pain go away. How much, when drinking with a straw does it take?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No pain, just keep the cold off the nerve. A Sensodine moment. :laugh:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:14 pm I used to find when my teeth were rotten, about a pint and a half of beer would make the pain go away. How much, when drinking with a straw does it take?
Many years ago I badly twisted my ankle out hiking, it was agony to walk but I'd planned a night out so I hobbled to the pub which took about forty minutes of pain.
After about six or so pints, I walked home in fifteen minutes including a diversion to the chipshop!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....but how did it feel the next day? :laugh:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:00 pm ....but how did it feel the next day? :laugh:
The hangover masked the pain of the twisted ankle!