The Beer Thread 2

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: The Beer Thread 2

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:58 pm Bass was a taste I could never acquire.
:agree: I always thought if I had to drink diarrhoea, it would taste the same.
It definitely tasted a lot better fresh from the brewery!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I sincerely hope so. I had a few mates who loved it. I've already said the North East of England was bitter heaven. Some mates used to insist on going to a Bass House, and I had to commit the ultimate sin, and drink lager.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The North v South thing about beer was as much to do with the way the beer was poured, from the bottom up, t'up north and from the top in the south. They liked a lot of froth, we in the south, didn't. There is nothing worse than drinking a beer designed to be poured one-way, that is poured using the other method. I grew up in Youngs Country, so that was my staple, followed by Fullers and those two made up the majority of local pubs.

Shepherd Neame was stocked locally to me at Rosslyn Park Rugby Club, near where I come from, so yes, an early fan of there's as well. A lot has changed since those day's. Now, if I went back to the UK, I would seek out a pint of Harvey's, brewed in Lewes, and beers from Ramsbury Ales and Butts beers, which I enjoyed and both very close to where I lived before relocating here.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I was amazed when I received my first pint of Stones Bitter in Hull. I thought they'd given me a pint glass full of froth. I was amazed to watch the froth slowly clear to become a beautifully clear amber nectar. It was like a magic show that encouraged me to drink more, just to watch the miracle.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:20 pm Yes, I was amazed when I received my first pint of Stones Bitter in Hull. I thought they'd given me a pint glass full of froth. I was amazed to watch the froth slowly clear to become a beautifully clear amber nectar. It was like a magic show that encouraged me to drink more, just to watch the miracle.
Did it still retain froth at the top?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh yes, it was my first pint of Northern beer. A milestone moment in my life that I'll never forget :D

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

The Koreans make some decent ales and IPA's here are a few I've recently sampled ...

Doh, can't post a pic in the abstemious land of stupid laws, you'll have to take my word for it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Just saw this article about Carabao beer, which mentions CJ. A few days old now, but still interesting.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... ai-market/
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:01 am Just saw this article about Carabao beer, which mentions CJ. A few days old now, but still interesting.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... ai-market/
You need to read way down the article before it's apparent they produce a red beer as well. I still am keen to try that because if it has a taste different to the lagers it's interesting at the pricepoint.

When I see 'CJ' I always initially have the Derek Jameson thought: "do they mean me?" :laugh:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I was introduced to Desperados beer recently. Beer with tequila. The taste was unexpected and threw me off a bit at first but now find myself buying it. :wink:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I tried the two Carabao beers yesterday and the lager one is just another Thai chemical beer that tastes like Leo so won't be going back to that. The dark one is more like a weak Newcastle Brown Ale than a real dark beer but just about palatable for the price. Hoping the IPA as better but not holding my breath.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:51 pm The dark one is more like a weak Newcastle Brown Ale than a real dark beer but just about palatable for the price.
OMG did you leave your taste buds in Korea? I love a drop of Newcastle Brown Ale. How on Earth can you do a comparison? Like chalk and cheese. Palatable for the price - maybe. The only similarity to NBA is that its wet. :shock:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s no accounting for taste - it must be at least 30 years since my first and last drink of NBA but I remember being very underwhelmed by it!!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Preferred Sammy's. But that was long, long ago and who knows how the taste has changed since then?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:24 pm There’s no accounting for taste - it must be at least 30 years since my first and last drink of NBA but I remember being very underwhelmed by it!!
As I've said earlier, most beers were enhanced in the North East to compete with Federation Breweries. However, because NBA was bottled, and I probably drank it exclusively in the North East, I can't be sure the NBA that I was served was the same as served in the rest of the country.

Points 48; Position 20