Volkswagen Campervans

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Volkswagen Campervans

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m posting this article in fond memory of two such vehicles I owned in my earlier life.

Read the article but unless you’ve ever had one, you will probably find it difficult to understand why people fall in love with them. I’m not even going to try and tell you about the wonderful camping holidays I had with three young boys in Western France in the late 80’s and early 90’s - talk about happy memories!!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/used ... kswagen-t2
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Volkswagen Campervans

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:26 pm I’m posting this article in fond memory of two such vehicles I owned in my earlier life.

Read the article but unless you’ve ever had one, you will probably find it difficult to understand why people fall in love with them. I’m not even going to try and tell you about the wonderful camping holidays I had with three young boys in Western France in the late 80’s and early 90’s - talk about happy memories!!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/used ... kswagen-t2
Ha, Ha, the truth now comes out; an aging hippy! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I did have long hair in my late teens-early 20’s, but not sure that I was ever a hippy (in fact as a 16 year old I was more of a “Mod” on my Lambretta TV200)!!
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Was in town today and saw 2 different VW Caravelles, not quite the same as the Kombi, but quite a rare sight,
2 in one day in Hua Hin...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:12 pm Was in town today and saw 2 different VW Caravelles, not quite the same as the Kombi, but quite a rare sight,
2 in one day in Hua Hin...
There’s a VW repair shop by the lights near the Palace that often has a few undergoing maintenance/repair.

I don’t know what sort of price they go for here, but in the UK clean ones fetch relatively huge amounts.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Here’s a photo of my first Camper-van - a 1971 vintage, but it got us to and back from France I think twice and numerous short breaks in the UK. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:26 pm I’m posting this article in fond memory of two such vehicles I owned in my earlier life.
That was my very first vehicle, (1974) and just about that year, pictured in link, maybe couple years older. Loved it.

Followed that up (also 1974)with a 1950 Buick Special. And yep ... wish I had them both now.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

No idea what model it is but one sets up on one of the roads to the beach selling drinks early in the evenings.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:23 pm
I don’t know what sort of price they go for here, but in the UK clean ones fetch relatively huge amounts.
One of my German colleagues is into them, he reimported an immaculate one from Brazil and apparently it's worth over 100,000 euros now.