Photo Trip Report: Down the Mekong in Cambodia

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
pharvey

Re: Photo Trip Report: Down the Mekong in Cambodia

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:54 am Another hugely informative thread about your travels 🍻
Indeed! Hugely enjoyable report yet again buks - certainly looking forward to the next one!!

Once I can get myself back to "proper health", the LHG and myself will be back on our travels - taking it slightly easier to start with though methinks!! :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Great report. I've enjoyed it immensely.

Purely by co-incidence, I've just seen this article in today's Guardian. Haven't read it yet but it's obviously not a glowing report about development for tourism in a certain part of the country:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... hing-lives
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:49 pm Great report. I've enjoyed it immensely.

Purely by co-incidence, I've just seen this article in today's Guardian. Haven't read it yet but it's obviously not a glowing report about development for tourism in a certain part of the country:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... hing-lives
I’ve just read it and it seems a lot worse than it is in Thailand - corruption being the order of the day!!
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Excellent trip report once again,some amazing photographs.
buksida

Post by buksida »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:49 pm Haven't read it yet but it's obviously not a glowing report about development for tourism in a certain part of the country:
You'll notice all the bad news and bad reviews are about the same place - Sihanoukville. Those I spoke to living in the country said the same. It is essentially the cesspool of Cambodia, a bit like Pattaya is for Thailand, which is why I didn't go there!

Unfortunately, Cambodia is selling out to China fast, just like the rest of the region (Laos, Thailand, Myanmar) whose dictators want money and political favour at the expense of the people. The entire region will all come under the same big red flag one day so best to see it now while you can!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was in Sihanoukville before the massive Chinese investment, and it was a cesspool then. The Chinese came, and invested heavily, and it is still a cesspool. I know many blame the Chinese, but a cesspool is a cesspool is a cesspool, regardless of who is occupying the place.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Maybe so, but a country shouldn't be judged by one cesspool (it was Russians before the Chinese). Once they start appearing all over the country, then yes, and this is the fear with the red invasion of this entire region, Thailand included.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, you are right. You found a completely different side of Cambodia to me. When I was there, we toured a lot of the South around Sihanoukville, and it seemed the further from town that we travelled, the worse it got.

Siem Reap was a lot better, but even then, it made Thailand look spotlessly clean. I was pleased to hear you say how much that it had improved. It deserves to be better than what I saw.

Don't get me wrong, I have many fond memories of my visit, but several times since, I have considered going back to visit friends, but just the thought of the filth has put me off. I was scared for life. Having said that, if I had visited Malaysia before Thailand, I'd probably be saying the same about Thailand.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Trash/plastic is endemic to Asia, there is no escaping it in this part of the world. Five of the top six plastic polluters on the planet are Asian countries, Thailand included. Cambodia is starting to clean up its act, but there is a long way to go and it has to start from the bottom up, which means better education. As with most Asian dictatorships, this simply isn't a priority.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Very useful Thread - thanks for your efforts!