BBC Axe Gary Lineker

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

BBC Axe Gary Lineker

Post by Lost »

For those who watch match of the day, you may be pleased to know we may have a wee break of Gary Lineker presenting. He's stepped back from the job until he has more clarification on what he's allowed to say on twitter after breaking BBCs impartiality rules recently.

This comes after he likened the government's new bill that hopes to deter criminals (both on the boats and selling the boats) entering England illegally, to that of Nazi Germany.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Premier League 2022-23

Post by Lost »

Ian Wright also won't be presenting to show 'solidarity' with Lineker.

They don't get it do they. Noone is bothered by legitimate refugees coming in. People escaping horrific lives. What they are bothered by is the criminals. How many more assaults on young girls, murders, rapes etc will it take for them to understand we can't just let anyone and everyone in with no documentation or ID. There has to be some sort of process to weed out the violent criminals. A process of this sort isn't barbaric or Nazi-esque. It's common sense and safeguarding.

:banghead:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This could quickly drift from “football” to “politics” so Mods might want to move it, but the government have been trying to solve the illegal migrant issue for more years than I care to remember and don’t seem to be any closer to solving it!!

As for Lineker, I’m sure that whoever replaces him on MOTD will do as well, or better than Lineker does - I much prefer Mark Chapman who normally presents MOTD2
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Alan Shearer will also not be presenting.
Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:35 am Please, take your political views away from this thread. I wouldn't want another thread to turn into politics.
The safeguarding of citizens, and the anger at very real, very recent crimes against women and girls, is not 'a political view'.

It's also not football so I will stop. :D
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Will be interesting to see what happens with match of the day tomorrow now the rest of the presenters have gone protest. Noone will step in for fear of the backlash against them with the twitterati already labeling anyone that takes over as a scab ('The term scab is a derogatory term used to refer to people who continue to work when trade unionists go on strike action' - I hadn't heard of this word until recently)

Mods could you move this into a new thread as BG is quite right actually that the whole thing (not the points I was making, mind :wink:) is very political and shouldn't muddy the prem thread.

:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Another presenter gone.

Unless lineker is reinstated, it could be the end of match of the day as we know it.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Noone's gonna go near Match of the Day. To be fair, thinking about it more, they're all correct in doing this. As are the presenters protesting. As much as I hate Lineker, and would have loved the brief period of him not presenting, at the end of the day—this is a free speech issue. Gary has a right to say the most grotesque, dangerous, ill-informed garbage he wants. And he does...often. That's his right. He shouldn't be cancelled for doing so.

To be the better person you do need to stand up for people's freedom of speech. Otherwise you turn into those like Gary himself (the left wing) frothing at the mouth to cancel all and every with differing views. :wink:

MODS WAKEY WAKEY
move please (Pete should be up soon to move this lot, he's an early riser :D )

:cheers:

Edit: apologies to BG for the politics here, didn't want to start new thread yet, thought easier to get mods to move in one lump when they rise. :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Just in—Match of the Day will be broadcast as a highlights package with no pundits tomorrow.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:15 am Just in—Match of the Day will be broadcast as a highlights package with no pundits tomorrow.
= less 🤬 - more football 😀
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:18 am
Lost wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:15 am Just in—Match of the Day will be broadcast as a highlights package with no pundits tomorrow.
= less 🤬 - more football 😀
Seems to me the Beeb should keep the "highlights package with no pundits" - save a chunk of money and invest in some decent TV. :wink: :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: BBC Axe Gary Lineker

Post by Lost »

The commentators have stepped down in protest also. :laugh:

So now it's a highlights package with no commentary (edit: unless BBC use world feed commentary).
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

There will likely be no post match interviews as a growing list of players and managers are refusing to speak to the BBC today.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

The BBC isn't doing well at the moment. Along with the MOTD hoo-ha, there's also outrage over refusing to broadcast national treasure David Attenborough's new show as apparently it's too left wing. Since when did highlighting the destruction of nature become left wing? :?

They're still showing it on iplayer, mind, just not broadcast. Starts Sunday Wild Isles.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

At least it gets Inflation, the War in Ukraine and other issues off the front page of today’s papers in the UK!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-64922412
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

To be honest, the other presenters aren't sacrificing much, as they are freelance and work for whoever will pay them (sound familiar).

They are all a bit tired now. A revamp would do MOTD good. It would be great if Neville and Gallagher would do one as well.

It's not about free speech. The beeb has well established impartiality rules for a good reason. Whatever an individuals views and thoughts, presenters have to keep them to themselves and the Beebs charter states it must be non-partisan. Linekar is a very high profile and an exremely well known and highly paid beeb employee. If he wants to stray into politics and 'not be silenced', then he should tear up his contract and leave. He can then talk politics full time. It's not his job to 'stand up for those who have no voice' or whatever crap he came out with.
Talk is cheap