Creating Long-Term Alzheimer's care for myself in HH

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
DDD

Creating Long-Term Alzheimer's care for myself in HH

Post by DDD »

The Opportunity-
Those of us with declining Alzheimer’s, dementia or just old age are able to afford/set up care in our own house here in Hua Hin.
Lets say a nurse makes say USD $12,000/yr in Thailand. It may be possible to hire someone with those skills to work full time in our own house. Hiring a retired nurse would be even less. Even hiring 3 nurses for round the clock coverage would be affordable.
This would be way more expensive in the US, Canada or UK. It would be even worse to be placed in a care facility in one of those countries. Those of us from there probably have friends or know of people in that situation.

One of my wife and my reasons for being here is to see if we can set this up for ourselves.
Welcome ideas and experiences from people that have been in HH for awhile…
Oh but to be wafted away
Big Boy

Re: Creating Long-Term Alzheimer's care for myself in HH

Post by Big Boy »

Information on this thread relating to one of the Forum's friends may be of use to you i.e. you might find a contact who can steer you in the right direction.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41071
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
DDD

Post by DDD »

Reading about JW in the linked article is quite touching and I feel for him. Especially since my wife and I are going thru similar deterioration (thought we haven’t progressed as far). This is so common, 1 out of 3 people die with it in the US (from all.org in this link.
https://alz.org/media/Documents/alzheim ... raphic.pdf
Oh but to be wafted away
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

I'm curious as to how you are going to be able to make informed decisions if and when your situation becomes critical?
DDD

Post by DDD »

Even though I’ve been aware of and sort of looking at this for years in US and Canada, I haven’t thought thru and put things in place. Starting to look at that now. One of the first things is figuring out where we want to live as we progress thru the different stages. Hoping it will be some years before needing informed decisions. That said, informed decisions can be put in place with a health directive (need to update ours and maybe have a Thai attorney check it over).

We also need to update our wills to work in different countries. Intuit (that sells TurboTax) has standard forms that simplify this for US and maybe Canada.
Oh but to be wafted away
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Look up Senior Housing in Hua Hin, they have several websites and at least one of them deals with care for Alzheimer's patients.