Driving: why Thai’s “back in”?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Driving: why Thai’s “back in”?

Post by VincentD »

My Saab 900SE also had that reverse gear ignition lock, however the main dealership had a way to remove that mechanism to accommodate this particular parking trait unique(?) to Thailand.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm currently sitting in my car in a car park waiting for my son. To ease my boredom, I've carried out my own survey. In my row about 80% of cars are backed in.

In the row opposite, only 2 out of 15 are backed in.

The next row has 6 cars, all driven in.

The 4th row has 1 car out of 4 backed in.

Maybe the OP needs to justify the claim that Thais "back in"
Championship Millwall 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Sounds more like 50:50 - not sure when but next time I go to Makro I was planning on doing a similar survey!!

But having said that, where I have an option, I always back in, but sonic beepers and a reverse camera do help.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 pm beepers and a reverse camera do help.
I have neither, but still prefer to reverse :D

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As do I - last year in the U.K. my little Vauxhall Corsa had neither but I would routinely reverse into a parking bay - but the camera and beepers certainly make it easier (for us olduns)!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

In the Makro carpark, there is a 'walkway' between each parking section. By reversing in it allows for easier loading without being in the flow of traffic causing an obstruction by yourself, your trolley and your rear door being open.
I'd guess that was considered when designing that particular carpark. Makes a lot of sense.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, Makro is one of the few places I don't reverse. Originally it was because I couldn't see what traps (trolleys) numbskulls had just dumped in the way. These days, it is quite hard to offload the wheelchair if I reverse in.

Points 48; Position 21
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:38 pm Actually, Makro is one of the few places I don't reverse. Originally it was because I couldn't see what traps (trolleys) numbskulls had just dumped in the way. These days, it is quite hard to offload the wheelchair if I reverse in.
Parking in car parks if shopping I reverse in, to load shopping in the boot. Parking in the drive I always reverse in not so far to carry the shopping and good visibility when I drive out.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
DDD

Post by DDD »

I remember from my Thai drivers test that 3 point turns are not allowed. The driver is supposed to go to an intersection and make a U turn.

This would explain why someone might back all the way up a street instead. Kind of like someone backing up to an exit they passed on an expressway that is backed up ahead.

Reminds me of a weird special I saw on offensive driving. One technique they showed was for how to make a u turn on a divided expressway. 1st weave back and forth, maybe climbing on the sloped shoulder - this is to get traffic going in the opposite direction to stop, so you can then jump the dividing median at a 45 degree angle and head off in the other direction. This was for in the US but would probably work here…
Oh but to be wafted away
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen!!