Pele

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Pele

Post by PeteC »

May as well start this one now as the news is not going to be good over coming days. :(

Pele: Brazil great's cancer has advanced, says hospital

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64059854

Pele's cancer has progressed, a statement from the Sao Paulo hospital where the 82-year-old Brazil legend is being treated has confirmed.

The three-time World Cup winner has been in hospital for three weeks.

His daughter wrote on Instagram that he would spend Christmas in the facility.

A statement issued by the Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein said Pele "requires greater care related to renal and cardiac dysfunctions" because of the "cancer progression".

Pele had a tumour removed from his colon in September 2021 and has since had regular treatment.

"Our Christmas at home has been suspended," wrote Pele's daughter, Kely Nascimento.

"We decided with the doctors that, for various reasons, it would be better for us to stay here with all the care that this new family at Einstein gives us."

Just after he was admitted, a statement issued by the hospital said Pele "had a good response to treatment for respiratory infection care" and added he was undergoing a "reassessment of chemotherapy treatment".

Pele is Brazil's all-time leading men's scorer with 77 goals in 92 games and he helped his country win the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970.

Brazil players paid tribute to Pele after their last-16 win over South Korea during the 2022 World Cup, holding up a banner with his name and picture.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Pele

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yes one of the all time greats and back in the days when footballers got paid peanuts, so they played for the enjoyment. We were lucky to have talent like him, Bobby Charlton, George Best, Gordon Banks to name just a few to Grace the field in the 60’s and 70’s.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I got to see him play once when Santos played at Home Park in 1973. He was a bit past it by then, and I think the contract said in the event of him not scoring, Plymouth had to concede a penalty, which he duly scored from. It was a great night, with the score Plymouth Argyle 3 - 2 Santos.

It was quite clear Santos gifted Plymouth 2 goals, and then staged a fight back. Unfortunately for Santos, Plymouth fluked a 3rd goal, and it was just not going to happen for Santos that night.

The game almost didn't happen. The Santos directors took one look at the full stadium, and refused to make an appearance unless they received an extra £20K.

OK, it was only a friendly, but absolutely fantastic to see the great man grace the Home Park turf. I won't forget.

[Edit] Funny how facts fade with time. It was £2,500 extra that they demanded. I've had to look it up https://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/santos72H.asp . Can you imagine a current top team squabbling over £2,500 :laugh: ?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

RIP Edson Arantes do Nascimento. A true sporting great.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, we all knew it was coming. At 82 he's had a good innings, but what a life! Pretty much a "God" in the football World and sports as a whole - a true ambassador. The likes of Ronaldo pale into insignificance quite frankly - they don't have the same respect or love of the game or the love and respect of the supporters that Pele had and always will have.

A very good friend of mine has great memories of Pele - he was studying at college in New York when Pele signed for the NY Cosmos (which many were against). He (my friend) was a "Season Ticket " holder at the time and saw pretty much every game in Pele's first season there (1975 I think)...... Couldn't afford tickets for the following season!! :wink:

R.I.P. Sir - the sporting world will miss you, but never forget you. :bow:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I can quite vividly remember the 1970 World Cup in Mexico where Pele was still at his best and helping Brazil to win the tournament, knocking out World Cup holders Englandin the process, despite the heroics of Gordon Banks making what many claim to be the best save ever made.

Gracing the field with the likes of Bobby’s Moore and Charlton and shaking hands at the end of the game like true gentleman - not like most of today’s so called “greats” - these guys, Pele especially, will always be my favourite footballers of all time!!
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Watched the old early eighties movie,Escape to Victory,total nonsense,however,good to see some classic moments within the movie regarding Pele.