Cars with CVT transmissions

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Cars with CVT transmissions

Post by Dannie Boy »

We’re talking Thailand so the choice is somewhat limited unless you’re prepared/able to pay vast sums for an import - I reckon your shortlist is spot on because I can’t think of anything better!! Edit - maybe have a look at a Toyota Corolla Cross, although I don’t think it’s as good.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Just purchased a Honda City Hatchback to replace wife's 13-year-old Jazz (330,000 km). Impressed with the 999cc Turbocharged engine and the smooth CVT transmission. Quiet and drives with smoother low-end power than the old 1500 cc Jazz. Surprising how quiet it is and how smooth it drives especially when applying power to pass. A good around town car with good gas economy.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Hi brianks, I take it your talking about the new style that was released in 2020? I was considering getting a saloon version when my wife passed her test back then. But she said we can wait and get the bigger car I would prefer to have.. Glad your purchase was a good choice. :cheers: GN
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The Honda City is a nice car and for the size of the engine it’s quite sprightly but based on your stated preferences GN, a bit too small even the HRV might not be quite big enough although another nice car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I ended up selecting a gas model of the City Hatchback after doing the math and figuring out the cost of gas over a 10-year lifetime of the HEV (Hybrid) over the Gas models. You pay a lot up front for the Hybrid with no real cost savings over 10 years plus the cost of replacing the battery after its stated 10-year lifetime. Just didn't make any financial sense to me. Also have an HRV for the longer trips with more room.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

I am also concerned about owning a hybrid in Thailand, if the option was available, the power units are costly to buy in the first place and maintenance could be extremely expensive. Do I trust a local dealership ripping my treasured car apart and telling me this or that is shot. These units appear to be very complicated, and as brianks stated, the money back on the fuel bill over the years may not pay back for the initial outlay. We will not be doing thousands of kilos every month, so an ICE may be the best option, even if it is a CVT. Keep the ideas coming in guys, thanks.GN
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Green Nomad wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:31 pm I am also concerned about owning a hybrid in Thailand, if the option was available, the power units are costly to buy in the first place and maintenance could be extremely expensive. Do I trust a local dealership ripping my treasured car apart and telling me this or that is shot. These units appear to be very complicated, and as brianks stated, the money back on the fuel bill over the years may not pay back for the initial outlay. We will not be doing thousands of kilos every month, so an ICE may be the best option, even if it is a CVT. Keep the ideas coming in guys, thanks.GN
You’ll be ok for this purchase but next time you may not have an option other than some form of EV, either 100% or with some form of electric assistance.

I’ve been driving an MGHS PHEV for virtually 2 years and from the EV side had no problems at all. When I first got it, 100% charge would give 67kms of electric range and now that’s down to 66 kms - I can live with that level of degradation!!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Stick with the normal benzine powered car and the auto gearbox. I believe the CX-5 is available in that. Any hybrid adds to an already complicated system and will cost much more to repair. However the trans these days is to replace rather than repair.
The other disadvantage of a CVT is that you get absolutely no joy in abrupt changes in speed; i.e. you can't put your foot down and expect it to kick down or respond.
Funny thing, but because of this thread, I might just be looking at a CX-5 too.
วินเชนท์
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

VincentD wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:59 pm Stick with the normal benzine powered car and the auto gearbox. I believe the CX-5 is available in that. Any hybrid adds to an already complicated system and will cost much more to repair. However the trans these days is to replace rather than repair.
The other disadvantage of a CVT is that you get absolutely no joy in abrupt changes in speed; i.e. you can't put your foot down and expect it to kick down or respond.
Funny thing, but because of this thread, I might just be looking at a CX-5 too.
You've obviously never driven the Honda Accord turbo. :banghead:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

^ Yes, you're correct in that I've not driven the Honda, and am going with the two that I have at hand. The Almera is quite anemic, so while it is able to keep up in traffic in the city, it is not something I'd drive upcountry. The Juke is much better, and my son has driven it upcountry, but I've had to replace the complete CVT unit in less that 5 years from new ownership. It is zippy enough in city traffic, but as you say, the Honda probably would perform better.
I've owned a turbo car before, a SAAB SE turbo manual, with an Abbott Racing tuned stage 2 ECU so was making almost 300 HP. The thing about turbos is the annoying turbo lag. Your Honda is probably configured to the light turbo type, a really small turbo that spools quickly at low rpm for quick acceleration, but not much else. It's great for city driving and some upcountry drives but would be on the small side for me
The Xtrail I am using has a 2.5L VTEC mated to a torque converter type gearbox and selectable 4wd so has a much better torque response and no turbo lag so works great for me, just that fuel consumption good up when you put your foot down.
YMMV.
วินเชนท์
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Didn't know the nissan xtrail was available in Thailand, what year do you have VincentD? Is it also a possible target for me?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I have a 2006 T30 4wd with the 2.5L engine and the torque converter gearbox. The later T31 is only available in 2.0L FWD CVT, and the T32 also comes in only CVT transmission so not about to change. The techs at the dealership also indicate that the CVTs are rather problematic so I'll be hanging on to the T30 for now. I'm more than happy with it, did a major detour yesterday to avoid an elephant on the road, through the rubber plantations, and did a stretch where if I was in a normal car I would have turned around. I'm not in the market for a new car just yet as I don't drive as much and am waiting to get my cataracts done so there is no rush.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I'd still consider the CX-5, the T32 is more of a people carrier and has a CVT so not really. I was unimpressed with it when it first came out, less specced out than even the T30. Will have to wait to see what Nissan will come up with, but overall I'm not a fan of the newer cars that have full LED brake lights (can't change bulbs cheaply any more), LED headlights (my niece's husband just had to change the whole LED headlight unit on his 5 year old Fortuner be at 22,000 baht). So I'll go for something that still has some older tech in it. My personal opinion.
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The “problem” in Thailand is that the choice of vehicles is quite limited compared to say the UK or US, unless your willing/able to afford the price of an import, so it’s a case of finding the best fit for your needs.

As previously mentioned, I drive an MGHS PHEV in Thailand and whilst I’m relatively happy with it, if I was buying a new car in the UK I’d choose something else.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

I'm looking to test drive some new models in the new year, will pass on my findings and our opinions.