QR codes

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Nereus
Hero
Hero

QR codes

Post by Nereus »

What QR codes have to do with ATM"s eludes me. I Googled "WTF is a QR code" and came up with the following:

https://wtfqrcodes.tumblr.com/page/3

But then I found this:

https://learn.g2.com/qr-code#:~:text=Th ... 20an%20app.

So how is something that you can make yourself "secure"? Not surprising that there are so many scams all over the Internet when there is BS like this available! :roll:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Re: QR codes

Post by buksida »

Thailand is obsessed with QR codes (just as it is with masks). They're kind of an evolution of the barcode that can contain more data.

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1676-qr-code-explained/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Top-grade security
Making payments via QR codes is very secure. It’s because the QR code is nothing but just a tool that is used to exchange information. Any data which is transferred via QR codes is encrypted thus making the payment foolproof secure.

Higher reliability
QR code payments are a foolproof payment method as it eliminates the probability of any kind of error. The pattern of black boxes consists of unique data which enhances the reliability of the QR code payments.
https://www.digipay.guru/blog/everythin ... f%20secure.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Simple really. Open your banking app on your "smart Phone". Select amount to withdraw. Select Cardless withdrawal on the ATM machine and scan the QR code. Yet to hear of any scammers hacking the ATM's and no fear of the machine having been infected with a card reader. OR go to your local bank, fill in your withdrawal slip and queue for the next available teller. :laugh: :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

buksida wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:33 pm Thailand is obsessed with QR codes (just as it is with masks). They're kind of an evolution of the barcode that can contain more data.

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1676-qr-code-explained/
That report is more than 4 years old. Things evolve very quickly in today's world.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The difference, as far as I understand, by paying via qr codes is that the communication is directly between 2 banks. i.e. it's the bank's software that is doing the scanning, not some random individual.
Basically, one bank talking to another bank. When you're bank scans the payee's QR code, the payee's bank account is displayed for your confirmation.

No different than going into the bank and doing a transfer on paper and queueing.
pharvey

Re: Have 'other banks' ATMs started charging a fee?

Post by pharvey »

"QR Code"? is this the same as the "Tap/Touch" in the UK?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

They have a kind of farmers market in the centre of Luxembourg on certain days and some of the stalls only accept payment by digicash using these QR codes and phone apps.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Has anyone tried this linked to a non-Thai bank, or is it exclusively in-country only?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd guess it's in Thailand only for now. A non-Thai bank would have to have the software to provide you with your own QR code as well as the ability to read someone else's. Thought for the future.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

QR code (Quick Response) invented by the japanese (I think) is the black square box with lots of square dots within. Isn't the tap and touch in the UK where you tap your card to the machine. That also works in Thailand at some stores.
qr.png
qr.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 618 times
That's an example not a real one.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It makes you wonder how many different QR code patterns exist, or can exist? Somewhere, sometime, something is going to duplicate and throw a monkey wrench into the works perhaps. :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:13 pm QR code (Quick Response) invented by the japanese (I think) is the black square box with lots of square dots within. Isn't the tap and touch in the UK where you tap your card to the machine. That also works in Thailand at some stores.
OK, sorry - QR Code I get - but QR Payment through an ATM? I'll also get info from a QR Code, but will never make payment. PayPal seems to be fairly safe, but I understand you don't/can't have in Thailand?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

The maximum capacity for a standard QR code (according to Wikipedia) is 2,953 bytes or 23,624 bits. Each bit has two states, so the number of possible permutations is 2^23624 or about 3.4*10^7111.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

pharvey wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:30 pm
HHTel wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:13 pm QR code (Quick Response) invented by the japanese (I think) is the black square box with lots of square dots within. Isn't the tap and touch in the UK where you tap your card to the machine. That also works in Thailand at some stores.
OK, sorry - QR Code I get - but QR Payment through an ATM? I'll also get info from a QR Code, but will never make payment. PayPal seems to be fairly safe, but I understand you don't/can't have in Thailand?
Using your QR code with an ATM is to draw cash, similar to cardless withdrawal. It's not used for making payment. That is another option which as I've said before is really putting 2 banks in direct contact with each other. Transferring cash from one bank to the other. No different from other ways of paying bills from your account, only this way is easy and immediate.

Last edited by HHTel on Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.