Wise formerly Transferwise

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Re: Wise formerly Transferwise

Post by buksida »

If you're talking about the two rates I mentioned then sorry but I disagree

My account has nothing to do with US dollars
We must have different accounts then, I have both GBP and USD 'bank' accounts with WISE, and both offer 'jars' with slightly differing variable interest rates (USD is better). I'm currently earning on the GBP cash one which took a few seconds to set up after I sent THB to it and converted, there's nothing complicated about it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:
If you're talking about the two rates I mentioned then sorry but I disagree

My account has nothing to do with US dollars
We must have different accounts then, I have both GBP and USD 'bank' accounts with WISE, and both offer 'jars' with slightly differing interest rates (USD is better). I'm currently earning on the GBP cash one which took a few seconds to set up after I sent THB to it and converted.
Maybe so

I'd love to get guaranteed interest of about 4.5% on GBP jars but I'm reading 'no'

But if you're getting it you're getting it, end of!

I'll keep digging

Ps I've tried to post a screenshot but it's just not loading...

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

DDD

Post by DDD »

Money is also at risk in Wise in various ways. I read that Wise only facilitates the transfer of funds, never touches the money and deposits the money using multiple banks for a given country. I recognized the major banks they use in the US. In the US, bank funds are guaranteed by the FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance corporation) for up to $250,000 per deposit, per person, per institution. Can’t get any safer than that…
Oh but to be wafted away
buksida

Post by buksida »

Money is at risk everywhere at the moment with the world's economies in turmoil. Its just slightly different levels of risk and everyone's appetite for it is different.

If you think US banks are safe ... read on: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=41438
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If you go onto the Wise app you can find out the various rates paid on your account.
It depends where your account is held and the currency.
One thing I noticed is that interest on my account, which is registered in the EU has tax deducted whereas the investment jar does not.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

From WISE Help:
Do I earn interest on my Balances or Jars?
We currently don’t pay interest on money held in your Balances or Jars as Cash.

We offer Assets in certain regions that allows you to hold your money in Stocks or Interest.

Find out more about Assets

Eligible US customers can receive interest on the USD balances held in their Wise Account

Find out more about earning interest on your USD balance

If you live in the European Economic Area (EEA) you may be eligible to receive cashback for any EUR, GBP and USD you hold in Balances and Jars
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

STEVE G wrote:If you go onto the Wise app you can find out the various rates paid on your account.
It depends where your account is held and the currency.
One thing I noticed is that interest on my account, which is registered in the EU has tax deducted whereas the investment jar does not.
"If you go onto the Wise app you can find out the various rates paid on your account"

Where exactly? thanks

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I come under this:
"If you live in the European Economic Area (EEA) you may be eligible to receive cashback for any EUR, GBP and USD you hold in Balances and Jars"

Any interest on Balances appears as "cashback" and if you click on that in the app it gives you details of interest rates and tax paid.
Interest on the investment jars appears as "interest" with a rate alongside.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

With all the furore over the taxing of foreign income I have not yet seen any comment or question about where Wise fit in as payment comes from a local account. I may have missed this or are people just keeping quiet. With the 800k in the bank the day to day funds would not be taxable if coming from a local account.