Wise formerly Transferwise

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Re: Wise formerly Transferwise

Post by buksida »

Just applied for a WISE debit card which lets you access your multi-currency accounts with a card around the world.

Its another one of those "Thailand mai dai" things so you have to change the address if you have opened the account in Thailand and used an address here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Does anyone know how to add THB to a Wise account? I want to convert some baht into USD to use the card on an upcoming road trip to save carrying fists full of cash ... but it doesn't seem possible.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just had a look at my account and it also says you can't directly add Thai baht.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well that renders the entire system pretty much useless for me.

So, next question, can another Wise user send me USD from their Wise account to my one, and I can give them THB via a Thai banking app or cash?
buksida

Post by buksida »

To answer my own question, it looks like it can be done. A bit of a ballache but it seems the only way to convert THB to USD on Wise for me. Technology isn't always helpful or easy, especially when finances are concerned (crypto solves all of this).

https://wise.com/us/blog/how-to-send-money-wise-to-wise

The alternative is getting fleeced at the airport on FX rates or fleeced on ATM fees and FX spreads overseas and walking around with wads of greenbacks.

Open to any other suggestions as I'd like to give this Wise Card a spin.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

buksida wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:58 pm Just applied for a WISE debit card which lets you access your multi-currency accounts with a card around the world.

Its another one of those "Thailand mai dai" things so you have to change the address if you have opened the account in Thailand and used an address here.
Have you gotten much use out of it? I'm interested to see how and where you've used it.

I ordered one and am waiting for it to be forwarded from my US address.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Ratsima wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:43 pm
buksida wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:58 pm Just applied for a WISE debit card which lets you access your multi-currency accounts with a card around the world.

Have you gotten much use out of it? I'm interested to see how and where you've used it.

I ordered one and am waiting for it to be forwarded from my US address.
I've had one for some years now and I use it pretty much anytime I need to use a card outside of Luxembourg where I work. My local account has a V-pay debit card which isn't anywhere near as accepted outside of Europe as the Wise Visa card is.
I've never had it refused anywhere.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

:thanks:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ratsima wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:43 pm Have you gotten much use out of it? I'm interested to see how and where you've used it.
Used it a couple of times in Cambodia to pay for things from the USD account, worked fine. Swapping currencies is instant with spot-on rates and tiny fees. The only issue I have with it is that I can't transfer THB to it from a Thai bank.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

A bit pissed off with Wise this morning. I wanted to transfer over a thousand quid and the app said I would receive the Thai baht tomorrow!! I normally do this every month and usually get the funds in seconds. I thought that it might have to do with the time of day so I waited a couple of hours and checked again with the same result. I did see on the page that 1,000 quid would be sent in seconds so I was forced to do 2 transactions. Is this Wise getting greedy by getting twice the fees?

NB Just checked again and same result.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I did get an email from them last week saying they were hiking fees for some transactions. Nothing about transfer times or amount limits though.
We’re making some changes to our fees. We believe in transparency, so we want to let you know what’s changing and why it’s happening.

Our fees are increasing when you:

Send money FROM EUR to any currency.

Send money TO GBP from any currency.

The date for fee changes depends on your home address, and how you pay for transfers.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

sateeb wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:14 pm A bit pissed off with Wise this morning. I wanted to transfer over a thousand quid and the app said I would receive the Thai baht tomorrow!! I normally do this every month and usually get the funds in seconds. I thought that it might have to do with the time of day so I waited a couple of hours and checked again with the same result. I did see on the page that 1,000 quid would be sent in seconds so I was forced to do 2 transactions. Is this Wise getting greedy by getting twice the fees?

NB Just checked again and same result.
I use Wise a lot and this happens occasionally on larger amounts. I've found that anything under 50,000 bt to Thailand goes straight away so I just do multiple transfers if I have to. Their fees are a percentage so they're not making money that way so perhaps it's more about currency flows and price volatility or something of that nature.
titomiako
Novice
Novice

Post by titomiako »

I just transferred £1,000 2 hours ago and no problem.
titomiako
Novice
Novice

Post by titomiako »

I forgot to say the transfer was into Kasikorn Bank.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

titomiako wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm I just transferred £1,000 2 hours ago and no problem.
I was referring to amounts above 1,000 sterling.

Still showing Thursday for amounts over 1,000
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.