‘Captain Condom’ turned the tide in war on Aids,

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

‘Captain Condom’ turned the tide in war on Aids,

Post by Nereus »

This man has done more for Thailand than he is given credit for. Long article, best read at the link.
...........................................................................................................
‘Captain Condom’ turned the tide in war on Aids, overpopulation

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... population

Mechai Viravaidya twice saw Thailand in desperate trouble — first from a ruinous population explosion and then from the Aids epidemic — and he responded to both crises the same way: with condoms and his own considerable charisma.

Birth control was something Thais neither talked about nor very much practiced in the early 1970s, when the country’s population was growing at an unsustainable pace and the average family had seven children.

So Mechai decided to tackle the subject that no one else would touch, spearheading a nationwide campaign to publicise and demystify contraceptives.

much more at the link...................................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Re: ‘Captain Condom’ turned the tide in war on Aids,

Post by PeteC »

Mechai also owns and operates the Condoms & Cabbage/Birds & Bees resort in Pattaya on Soi 4 Pratumnak across from the Asia Pattaya Hotel. and I think there is a restaurant of the same name in Bangkok as well.

His brother, Sunya Viravaidya, is the founder and owner of Pattaya International Hospital, a sensible choice over Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, as well as the Sugar Hut Resort and restaurant which is a lovely traditional Thai Lana style place operating since 1985. I stayed there about a week after they first opened and I thought I woke up in paradise. :D

I've met both of them and if not in the mood for a long conversation about every subject under the sun, turn around and walk quickly if you should see them coming. :laugh: Both real intelligent Thai gentlemen the likes of which you don't run into often here who are willing to engage with everyone. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

... and I think there is a restaurant of the same name in Bangkok as well.
Yes, that is correct Pete. I have been there last century! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Surprisingly, there's a Cabbages and Condoms restaurant in England as well!
https://trinitybycc.co.uk/
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:29 am Surprisingly, there's a Cabbages and Condoms restaurant in England as well!
https://trinitybycc.co.uk/
Damn, I wish that was a little closer to home. May have to raid the menu in search of recipes!! Stuff "Captain Condom"!

Cheers Steve! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Actually, I found it on Google while I was looking for the resort they had up in Issan. I remember driving past it but not where. I think it was somewhere near Nangrong.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

pharvey wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:13 pm
Damn, I wish that was a little closer to home. May have to raid the menu in search of recipes!! Stuff "Captain Condom"!

Cheers Steve! :thumb:
Take your missus for a day out at the outlet centre at Bicester. I'm sure she'd love that and not far from the restaurant. Some great offers to be had on admittedly sky high items in the first place! Very popular though, with bus ferries running from London. Deep pockets essential. :twisted:
Talk is cheap