Mona Cafe

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Mona Cafe

Post by migrant »

I don’t have any financial interest in the following restaurant.

The wife saw Mona Café a couple doors north of Phetkasim, next to the tesco, and wanted to try it so we went to lunch.

First impression, a large parking lot, great!!

Inside of the restaurant is done very nice and service was excellent. Prices were pretty expensive compared to other places, kind of similar to the restaurants in the big hotels. I ordered pasta with mushrooms and an aged parmesan and the wife ordered lard na moo. First they brought out a free bread basket with 3 types of bread and 3 toppings, an olive tapenade, pesto and oil and balsamic vinegar, all good. They also brought us a free amuse bouche (appetizer for you savages out there). It was an olive, cherry tomato and slice of salami on a skewer stuck in a slice of toast. The main dishes came out and the helpings were large and very tasty. I had a coke, the wife some kind of cold coffee drink. As I mentioned it is expensive, the bill came to 830 baht but it sure filled us up with good quality.

I have to say they have one of the most impressive bars that I’ve seen including a huge selection of scotches (my favorite). I took some pics below of the booze offerings, they also had a good selection of champagnes, wine and mixed drinks.

All in all a nice experience but expensive so it won’t be a weekly stop but we will return (sample some single malts!!).
IMG_0643 (3).jpg
IMG_0643 (3).jpg (75.79 KiB) Viewed 547 times
IMG_0642 (5).jpg
IMG_0642 (5).jpg (75.98 KiB) Viewed 547 times
IMG_0643 (1).jpg
(353.75 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin Restaurant News

Post by huahin4ever »

migrant wrote:I don’t have any financial interest in the following restaurant.
It's a shame that this forum has become such that we have to say we are not affiliated to a restaurant when we would like to recommend one. It shouldn't be necessary to start a post here with such a sentence. At least this is my humble opinion.

YNWA

YNWA
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Looks good and I'm guessing that the last photo is for the benefit of our Aussie brothers... :laugh: :laugh: :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

IMG_0643 really put you on your head! What size nips do you get with those class malts?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

huahin4ever wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:00 am It's a shame that this forum has become such that we have to say we are not affiliated to a restaurant when we would like to recommend one. It shouldn't be necessary to start a post here with such a sentence. At least this is my humble opinion.
There was a day when this forum was full of freeloaders and spammers trying to plug their own places. Now things are very different in HH and most of them have either closed or have infiltrated Farcebook so it is no longer an issue.

Re. the restaurant, never seen anywhere that has Glenlivet in Thailand ... its fantastic stuff.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 year old and Johnnie Walker Blue Label (but not the King George V blend), so had better keep them somewhere safe at those prices!!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:33 am I have a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 year old and Johnnie Walker Blue Label (but not the King George V blend), so had better keep them somewhere safe at those prices!!
I'd be happy to watch over them....Oh you said safe, never mind.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

migrant wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:18 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:33 am I have a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 year old and Johnnie Walker Blue Label (but not the King George V blend), so had better keep them somewhere safe at those prices!!
To be honest I really should either drink them or share them with others - I’ve had both bottles since 2011 where they were leaving gifts to me when I worked in Abu Dhabi - the Blue Label has had about 2 nips consumed, whereas the Glenmorangie remains unopened. I used to be an avid collector of whisky and used to enjoy sampling a few drams every few months, but have got out of the habit - here’s my UK stock
Attachments
759CA888-F97C-456D-A3EC-E238D467FE04.jpeg
759CA888-F97C-456D-A3EC-E238D467FE04.jpeg (87.09 KiB) Viewed 411 times
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:53 pm
migrant wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:18 pm
To be honest I really should either drink them or share them with others - I’ve had both bottles since 2011 where they were leaving gifts to me when I worked in Abu Dhabi - the Blue Label has had about 2 nips consumed, whereas the Glenmorangie remains unopened. I used to be an avid collector of whisky and used to enjoy sampling a few drams every few months, but have got out of the habit - here’s my UK stock
Nice collection!!