Uefa Women's Euro 2022

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: Uefa Women's Euro 2022

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:51 pm Well the BBC are still referring to them as Lionesses and the fact that some of them are likely to become relatively wealthy (although poor by comparison to their male counterparts)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62320684
And fair play to the Ladies, what are they called now..?

Either way, far more deserving than the vast majority of their male Wendyballer counterparts :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:45 pm I see now that it's sexist to refer to the England Women's Football Team as the "Lionesses" - they should be called the "Lions" as are the Men's....... F***ing pathetic!! :cuss: :banghead:
Where are you "seeing" this? As far as I can tell this was a comment by one BBC listener on a phone-in, which was widely ignored and/or derided by pretty much everyone else.

As mentioned, the BBC still calls them the Lionesses, as does the FA's official website.
Attachments
Screenshot_2022_0729_154614.png
Screenshot_2022_0729_154614.png (249.53 KiB) Viewed 250 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:53 pm
pharvey wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:45 pm I see now that it's sexist to refer to the England Women's Football Team as the "Lionesses" - they should be called the "Lions" as are the Men's....... F***ing pathetic!! :cuss: :banghead:
Where are you "seeing" this? As far as I can tell this was a comment by one BBC listener on a phone-in, which was widely ignored and/or derided by pretty much everyone else.
Christ, I shouldn't have mentioned it....... Whether it was a single comment or a dozen on the subject - I simply said it was pathetic......

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/nadine-dorri ... 022-final/

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-ra ... -Swarbrick

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... LIONS.html

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nadine-dorrie ... bzbcfkDDg5
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:42 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:53 pm
Christ, I shouldn't have mentioned it....... Whether it was a single comment or a dozen on the subject - I simply said it was pathetic......

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/nadine-dorri ... 022-final/

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-ra ... -Swarbrick

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... LIONS.html

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nadine-dorrie ... bzbcfkDDg5
No you didn’t, you said it was f****ing pathetic, which of course it is - no doubt if someone had called them Lions, the very same people would have demanded they be called lionesses!! Todays world is bonkers.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:54 pm
No you didn’t, you said it was f****ing pathetic,
Oh you can be a pedantic prick DB... :wink:

The "LIONS" by the way for me, are the one and only - i.e. THE BRITISH AND IRISH LIONS... there are no others... :D

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well guys and gals, tonight is the night! I have no explanation why I'm so excited about this, perhaps as it's the off season for everything else. I wish England the best of luck, and I sincerely hope it doesn't come down to a penalty shootout at the end.

My pick: England by 2. :cheers: :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Nothing more unfortunate than picking up an injury in the warm-up to a major international final game. Germany lost their captain, and current golden boot leader, Alexandra Popp, after aggravating an injury moments before the game.

Good news for England though. Every cloud...
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Extra time after 1-1 at 90 minutes- hopefully it’s coming home!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:Extra time after 1-1 at 90 minutes- hopefully it’s coming home!!

It’s not coming home - it’s come home!!!!

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, I'm a longstanding sceptic when it comes to women's football, and this is the first game of the Euros I've watched. I'm not fully converted to the extent that I want to start watching the club games on a weekly basis, but this was a cracking game, very entertaining, and hugely delightful to see the nasty German bully ladies defeated.

The Ukrainian ref was a perhaps understandably political appointment, but in retrospect probably anj error of judgement. She seemed a bit out of her depth.

I also have to say that it's much better seeing the ladies taking their shirts off after scoring than the men... :oops:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:49 am Well, I'm a longstanding sceptic when it comes to women's football, and this is the first game of the Euros I've watched. I'm not fully converted to the extent that I want to start watching the club games on a weekly basis, but this was a cracking game, very entertaining, and hugely delightful to see the nasty German bully ladies defeated.

The Ukrainian ref was a perhaps understandably political appointment, but in retrospect probably anj error of judgement. She seemed a bit out of her depth.
Fair play and congrats to them! :thumb: I wonder if we could get Wiegman to replace Pivac!! :D

Don't have the knowledge of the rules, but it did seem the ref got a fair few decisions wrong - no advantage either way though I believe.

One very confusing bit for me though was when a German sub (player not U-Boat) came on during Extra Time seemingly with a list of written instructions - WTF was that all about, is it allowed?? :shock: Have never seen that in any team sport before.
dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:49 am I also have to say that it's much better seeing the ladies taking their shirts off after scoring than the men... :oops:
There was excitement for a few seconds, followed by complete disappointment at the Sports Bra..... :roll: :oops:

Anywho, the ladies have done you proud! :bow:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My view was England went a goal up, and totally lost it. They basically lost the ability to put more than 2 passes together for most of the remaining match, and kept gifting the ball to the Germans. I thought playing to the corner with 7 minutes to go was a bit OTT, but they did that well. IMHO the best team lost, but who gives a toss?

It's home!!! :dance: :dance:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Let’s hope they can give inspiration to the mens team - it could be coming home, twice in the same year!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Could??? What you talking about DB? It's coming home - end of :duck: :run:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

For years the men have been going on about football's coming home
The women got fed up with this and said "FFS we will go and get it ourselves"
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.